Derby Velodrome

Comments

• poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Poppit, for the list, ignore irrelevant building regs and only have one door from the corridor into the changing rooms.(CCTV in the corridor outside the changing rooms. I know this won't stop theft but is a deterrent)
    And a simple one, if you go for track centre sports, make sure the whistles used must be a different pitch to the ones the track coaches use.

These two wind me up every time I go to Newport. No doubt Manchester will be the same tomorrow.

The design is bit unique, there isn't really a corridor but there will be cctv throughout the building. There won't be football on the infield but there will be other sports, we'll have a think about the whistle issue. Thanks for the comments.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • poppit
    Build constructor being chosen on the 17th, on target to start the build in July.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    poppit wrote:
    Build constructor being chosen on the 17th, on target to start the build in July.
    Cant come quick enough, this will become my local track :D will have to join Lichfield as second member club to get track time :D
  • poppit
    This is currently on the Derby Cycling Group's website http://derbycyclinggroup.org.uk/blog/

Derby Cycling Group would be extremely grateful if you can please act on this post and pass it on to other cyclists that you know.

The incoming Labour council administration has opposed the creation of the Velodrome in the past and they will decide THIS WEEKEND (May 13th) whether to sign the contracts or not. The out-going Conservative administration (who support the Velodrome) has decided not to sign the contracts but to leave it to the Labour group.

Please write an e-mail to paul.bayliss@derby.gov.uk ranjit.banwait@derby.gov.uk and martin.repton@derby.gov.uk , the new leader, deputy leader and member for leisure services on the city council.
     Write now to all three councilors and tell them you support the Velodrome
     Phone Radio Derby and tell them you want Labour to sign the contract to build the Velodrome (01332 616161)
     E-mail Kirsty Green at the Derby Telegraph to say you think the Velodrome should go ahead ( kgreen@derbytelegraph.co.uk )

Why do it if you won’t use it?
     As well as providing a fantastic facility for local racing cyclists, the Velodrome will boost Derby’s local economy by bringing thousands of people to the city from all over the UK who wouldn’t otherwise come here
     They will spend money in our shops, hotels and other businesses keeping people in work as well as paying to use the Velodrome
     It will attract the attention of businesses looking for somewhere to locate factories and offices; it will set Derby apart from the crowd.
     Cycle Derby plan to extend their hugely successful projects which get thousands of local youngsters cycling every year into the Velodrome. Literally thousands of Derby children take part in BMX and cyclo-cross racing, keeping them fit and healthy, and giving them experience to also use their bikes for transport, they will be use the Velodrome as well as part of their school-based activities.
     Sporting cyclists often support the cycle transport schemes that we propose and this is our opportunity to help support sporting cyclists

Please act now to secure a landmark facility in Derby.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • ah_whitt
    ah_whitt Posts: 55
    I emailed the Councillors you mentioned plus every remaining Labour Councillor with a plea to save the velodrome.

Any chance you could keep us posted on the latest news and whether there is anything else we can do.

Good Luck

Alison (Lichfield City CC)
  • poppit
    Will do, don't think there will be a decision for few weeks though.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • MarksMintness
    MarksMintness Posts: 484
    Lots of nice pics of the supporters rally the other day here:
    http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/pictures/Cyclists-rally-support-plans-Derby-s-Velodrome/pictures-16145130-detail/pictures.html
    Lots of local clubs on show - good stuff guys!
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • poppit
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • FYI

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-18811586

I have a hunch, this velodrome may well be open before the London one.
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • poppit
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • poppit
    The initial work has started, the new car park should start to be built next month, images of the new arena here http://www.derby.gov.uk/leisure-and-cul ... -strategy/
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • AlanW
    AlanW Posts: 291
    When can we start booking dates? Because I would be interested in block booking six dates for club training ASAP
    "You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
  • What's up Alan, couldn't you sleep?

Great session yesterday.

I love (hate) the irony that there's a good chance Derby may well be open before London!!
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • AlanW
    What's up Alan, couldn't you sleep?

Great session yesterday.

No I couldn't to be honest..... :cry:

Its hard to believe that the next session will be mid point in our sessions again.
    "You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
  • poppit
    AlanW wrote:
    When can we start booking dates? Because I would be interested in block booking six dates for club training ASAP
    Not sure yet but as soon as we are we'll notify everyone through various channels. When is London due to open?
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • London is allegedly due to open late 2013.
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • poppit
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • AlanW
    Great news, can I start booking then?
  • poppit
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • poppit
    FYI, http://www.bandkleisure.co.uk

Not much info at the moment, more will be added during the build. The new car park is complete with piling for the building starting this week.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • Jim C
    Jim C Posts: 333
    Excellent. Will have a ride past

Thanks for the info
    jc
  • poppit
    Building groundbreaking ceremony tomorrow

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-22207917
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • poppit
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    One of my team mates donated world masters jersey for the timecapsule :D
  • poppit
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • poppit
    Build progressing well, right on timescale.

z3yd.jpg

d25j.jpg

0yn2.jpg
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • Derby City Council’s website has been updated with the latest pictures of the velodrome, including the track. Visit http://www.derby.gov.uk/leisurestrategy to view.
  • poppit
    Just in case you didn't know, Bowmer and Kirkland have organised a cycle safety event next week at the arena site http://www.changingplacesday.co.uk

There'll be a street velodrome circuit so if you fancy having a race then come along.

I was at the site yesterday, it's progressing as per the timescale, the eyelid window above the entrance has started having the glazing put in and the glazing is going in at the actual entrance. You can now see that the layer of plywood is now being fitted to the exterior.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • AlanW
    Its getting there slowly -)
  • poppit
    If anyone is interested, the tender for the supply of 100 track hire bikes went live a few days ago, it can be found here http://www.sourcederbyshire.co.uk/contracts/show/id/9347
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR