£1500 Full-Susser Advice Please

HebdenBiker
HebdenBiker Posts: 787
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
Been having a gander at the Evans sale, and I reckon I'm going to get my first full-susser in January. I've only ever ridden hardtails so my knowledge of suspension bikes is pretty limited.

The bike will be used on the bridleways round here, trail centre red runs, plus possibly a couple of MTB marathons.

What I've found is that my hardtail is perfectly set up for climbing (low front end, long stem, bar ends) but is woeful on steep descents, due to (I think) there being too much weight over the front end and not enough over the back. I really struggle on descents and knacker my back trying to get my centre of gravity rearwards.

What I want is a bike that is better balanced for descending, is more forgiving on my creaky bones, but can still put in a turn of speed when climbing, and is comfortable and efficient for long distances (Mary Towneley Loop, MTB Marathons).

I THINK I want a 120mm bike, because the more aggressive 140mm bikes seem better suited to messing around in the woods rather than full days on the trail... but if I'm wrong about this, please tell me!

Also, full sussers seems heavy. Surely 30lbs+ is too heavy for a "serious" bike?

OK - my criteria:

1. Must have triple chainrings
2. 26in/650 wheels (what is this 29er devilry?)
3. Frame quality is more important to me than spec of components - I will upgrade!

A few options I'm considering are:

Spesh Camber Elite Heavy!
Rocky Mountain Element 30Seems like good value but doesn't ring my bell
Scott Spark 60Gets brilliant reviews and looks gorgeous
Norco Sight 3 SE 140mm!
Rocky Mountain Altitude 50TBH this is floating my boat the most at the moment if I go for a 140mm bike, but I believe the frame is heavy and is this not "too much bike" for the bridleways of Calderdale?

Comments