Insurance Claim Question

EightOhEight
EightOhEight Posts: 170
edited December 2012 in Commuting chat
Anyone who's made a successful claim after being knocked off by a motorist - is it advisable to get quotes from two bike shops regards replacement/repair cost? Or has one been okay? Also I lost my Garmin in the accident should the bike shop include that in their quote or should I claim for that separately?
Thanks

Comments

• cookdn
    cookdn Posts: 410
    - is it advisable to get quotes from two bike shops regards replacement/repair cost? Or has one been okay?

I just got one quote from my LBS who I trust to carry out the work. If the insurer wants additional quotes then they can always ask for them.
    Also I lost my Garmin in the accident should the bike shop include that in their quote or should I claim for that separately?

Just get your LBS to quote or send them printouts from an online retailer you trust.
    Anyone who's made a successful claim after being knocked off by a motorist

Not yet. :) If liability isn't disputed then you should be ok, if it is then you need to be persistent and patient. If you have any injuries then you need to get legal assistance (Leigh & Day, Simon a Holt & Co aka Cycleaid). From my experience if you are at all injured (even bruising) think seriously about claiming for your injuries so that you can get legal help. Obviously if you a British Cycling or CTC member they will assist. Also see if you have any legal services cover on your home insurance.

Best regards

Edit: Also see the What to do in case of an accident thread.
    Boardman CX Team
  • Many thanks for the reply. Liability is unlikely to be disputed the Police are prosecuting and there were several witness statements. I was broadsided whilst going round a roundabout. I'm fortunate in that my brother-in-law is a partner in a legal firm and dealing with the legalese for me. Again thanks for the reply.