Canyon Ultimate Al Pave "Van Summeren"

Yellow Peril
Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
edited March 2013 in Your road bikes
DSCN0734_zpse37a57b5.jpg

Just a couple of photos of a new acquisition which was delivered to the LBS today. It's from the outlet at Canyon and I believe it's a 2009 Silence Lotto frame for Johan Van Summeren. It's a 64cm, with special P-R Pave graphics and a pave secteur transfer on the top tube.

It has a cuple of scuffs but came with forks, ritchey WCSstem and a Canyon seatpost for £425.

Build up will be with an Ultegra groupset and some Zipp service course finishing kit
@JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition

Comments

• DSCN0732_zps18186b5c.jpg

A slightly blurry picture but hopefully you can see the Pave graphics
    @JaunePeril

• DSCN0733_zps0c2c71c7.jpg

One of the secteur graphic on the top tube.
    @JaunePeril

• upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    You need to turn the flash off on your camera mate as there is a whole lot of white going on.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    looks crap, well done.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Diggin' that strobe white colour. :wink:

Do it some justice with some half decent pics. This is so lame!
  • EKIMIKE wrote:
    Diggin' that strobe white colour. :wink:

Do it some justice with some half decent pics. This is so lame![/quote]

Guilty as charged. I'll get it sorted and do some decent photos
    @JaunePeril

• I've seen some really lovely bikes on this forum, don't think this is going to be one of them!
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    ignore the others, this could be ace, especially if you do it in the style of a PR bike, low profile rims, doublewrap bars - see if you can find pics of the team bikes to replicate the team colour schemes ?
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • edhornby wrote:
    ignore the others, this could be ace, especially if you do it in the style of a PR bike, low profile rims, doublewrap bars - see if you can find pics of the team bikes to replicate the team colour schemes ?

Agree! Stick some Campagnolo on it along with some low profile rims, make it look like this!

2009_paris-roubaix_leif_hoste_johan_van_summeren.jpg
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    edhornby wrote:

Agree! Stick some Campagnolo on it along with some low profile rims, make it look like this!

2009_paris-roubaix_leif_hoste_johan_van_summeren.jpg

THIS!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • It's not everyone's cup of tea I'll admit but when you are 6'5" headtube size and spacers generally make for a fugly machine.
    Having said that I guess it must have some history, perhaps a training frame or suchlike for the big man, I can't see why else they would have put his name on it. I googled a 6 minute Canyon vid on the 2009 P-R which was an interesting watch. Hoste and Van summeren did ok that year on them. P-R is such an iconic race and the Pave secteur decal is really neat.

The build up won't be campag I'm afraid. I'd pre-ordered the ultegra for something else when this came along, also I've never had campag (nothing other than 105 for the last 15 years tbh) I've ordered a set of Ritchey wet black bars and thought I might put a set of halo aero-rage wheels on it for training purposes. Anyone got any experience with them?

Any how I've now got the Gok Wan challenge on here. Looks like a lot of forumites think my new bird is a minger so I've got to make it look good and do some arty cool photos so that it becomes a shaggable commodity!
    @JaunePeril

• There are some really f**cking pleasant people on here!
    Ghost Race 5000 (2011) Shimano 105 Black
    Carrera TDF (2007)

http://www.bike-discount.de/#

http://www.bike24.com/
  • All bikes needs character and this one has more than most, wish I could have one. Enjoy every mile on a frame that was selected by pros for pros to ride.
  • You need a set of Nemesis rims, like Van Summeren in the photo... or like mine... 8)
    nemesis1.jpg
    nemesis2.jpg
    left the forum March 2023
  • You need a set of Nemesis rims, like Van Summeren in the photo... or like mine... 8)
    nemesis1.jpg
    nemesis2.jpg

Ugo,

I have been thinking of PM'ing you. I've seen your handiwork on wheels. Do you build commercially if not could you point me in a reliable direction? I like your idea about the Nemesis rims. I'm a heavier rider roughly 95kg in winter hopefully about 90kg by the time the season starts. Would you recommend the Nemesis rims for a heavier rider.

Van Summeren is an inch taller and 16kg lighter than me :shock:
    @JaunePeril

nemesis1.jpg
    nemesis2.jpg

Ugo,

I have been thinking of PM'ing you. I've seen your handiwork on wheels. Do you build commercially if not could you point me in a reliable direction? I like your idea about the Nemesis rims. I'm a heavier rider roughly 95kg in winter hopefully about 90kg by the time the season starts. Would you recommend the Nemesis rims for a heavier rider.

Van Summeren is an inch taller and 16kg lighter than me :shock:

You have to do something pretty remarkable to break a Nemesis rim. They are the strongest rims around, if one doesn't go into things that weigh like a brick. The 430 grams advertised are more like 460, which for a tubular rim of that section means they are pretty over engineered.
    I do build those, yeah...
  • Road riding is so homeo-erotic: bikes like this one going fast with pros on them look HOT. And I'm married (to a lady).

Canyons, RIdleys, Cervelos and the Movistar Dogma look wicked in action. The bikes look hot, the riders looks wicked.

For some reason, Treks, Ribbles, and Boardmans are limp.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Road riding is so homeo-erotic: bikes like this one going fast with pros on them look HOT. And I'm married (to a lady).

Canyons, RIdleys, Cervelos and the Movistar Dogma look wicked in action. The bikes look hot, the riders looks wicked.

For some reason, Treks, Ribbles, and Boardmans are limp.

Thanks Frans and Fatboy for your support.

I think I'm going to spend more than I planned and do the frame some justice. Ugo is right about the wheels and I'll shell out for a few other trick bits as well.

All being well in a few weeks time I'll be able to post some arty photos of something a bit different.

Seasons greetings to one and all on BR!
    @JaunePeril

• dov2711
    dov2711 Posts: 131
    Struggling with the level of animosity on this thread, really looking forward to seeing the build. Far more interesting than most given its not the usual spec we see week in week out.

Nice to see a frame which is that bot different, just the kind of thing I would grab if it came my way. £425 is a bargain andbeats the £4000 that one of Cav's bikes minus wheels is being offered for on ebay.
  • One thing I would add, get a Canyon seat post their designs are base on the use of one. It is also very comfy, I am looking to upgrade my current canyon but that it the one thing that won't be changed. :mrgreen:
  • One thing I would add, get a Canyon seat post their designs are base on the use of one. It is also very comfy, I am looking to upgrade my current canyon but that it the one thing that won't be changed. :mrgreen:

It actually came with a Canyon seatpost Fatboy so it will get a try out, it looks nicely engineered. I'm guessing it is about a 330 so I'll see hom much spare is left in the seat tube when it's set up. TBH if it's that good it might get put on the ride to work bike! I note the team used Ritchey seat posts which are available in 410 so that may be an upgrade
    @JaunePeril

• The ritchey model was the old post used before ritchey and Canyon designed the new VCLS posts. I have both and the Canyon post takes all the road buzz away.
  • The ritchey model was the old post used before ritchey and Canyon designed the new VCLS posts. I have both and the Canyon post takes all the road buzz away.
    Don't you miss some of the road's feedback? Are you a racer or a mile-eater?
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • FJ I do a bit of both, but find that the feedback you get from the handlebars and pedals are more than enough. Plus people pay loads of money for bib shorts that reduce the buzz from the road. Personally I feel that the handlebars and fork is the best feedback you can get. You do not want flex in corners or numb hands, but Canyon makes some great bikes so that should not be a problem. I ride a Canyon Ultimate CF for sportive and Ultimate AL for racing.
  • I think thas going to be ace, and also interesting. Miles better than every other bike you pass all day with the same wheels decals combos. At last somethign intersting. When you stop at the cafe and its wall to wall allez, dogma, tarmac etc, this would be the one I would wander over and look at. Nice and has some history with it. Enjoy.
  • I think thas going to be ace, and also interesting. Miles better than every other bike you pass all day with the same wheels decals combos. At last somethign intersting. When you stop at the cafe and its wall to wall allez, dogma, tarmac etc, this would be the one I would wander over and look at. Nice and has some history with it. Enjoy.

Thanks Jeff. I'm in PM contact with Ugo.santalucia who will be doing some wheels for me when I've sourced the hubs. It's all about doing the frame some justice. Hopefully in a few weeks time I'll have some quality photos to show you.
    @JaunePeril

• look forward to them.
  • It is a good time to get tubulars, if you manage to grab the many bargains around on tyres... depending on where you ride the most, Vittoria CX, Vittoria Pave' or FMB, the PRO choice for pave', if you can afford the latter. I would stay away from the non-repiarable ones (Tufo, Durano, Gatorskins... ), bit of a nonsense to invest a lot of money into something that can only be "sealed" but not permanently "repaired"
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    dov2711 wrote:
    Struggling with the level of animosity on this thread, really looking forward to seeing the build. Far more interesting than most given its not the usual spec we see week in week out.

How are you struggling? Its pretty obvious isnt it?

He's bought a dead nice frame and then posted absolutely shite pictures of it, complete waste of time. Not done it justice at all.

Getit built up and get a decent camera, I'm sure you'll get plenty of "ooo's" and "aaaah's" :D
  • styxd wrote:
    dov2711 wrote:

How are you struggling? Its pretty obvious isnt it?

He's bought a dead nice frame and then posted absolutely shite pictures of it, complete waste of time. Not done it justice at all.

Getit built up and get a decent camera, I'm sure you'll get plenty of "ooo's" and "aaaah's" :D

noted.

I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the camera just the operator. They were hurredly taken shots in the LBS. I'm endeavouring to do both the frame justice in terms of build and photo's before you see it again.
    @JaunePeril