Low stack height headsets?

snoopsmydogg
snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
have been looking for a new headset with a low stack height for a Charge Duster and wondering if something like this will do the job?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=57088

I know this one is low but read that they aren't the most reliable, is this right?
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=24984

Main use is local trails/red routes if that makes a difference

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Look like fairly standard stack heights to me.

the FSA is designed for BMX and Freeride use.

how low stack do you need to go?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Was trying to keep it below 25mm but the lower the better really. Have been doing a bit googling and the crank brothers always seems to pop up followed by comments about build quality.

From what i can find standard headset is fsa th-857
  • Under £40 but realistically as low as possible without sacrificing reliability. I have noticed there are a couple of the crank bros low stack headsets available with different prices but cant seem to find any differences other than colour.

Is there anywhere else I should be looking? I have tried the usual tredz/on-one/merlin etc.

Going to give the lbs a call today too and see what they have in.
  • Has anyone used the crank brothers xc headset? Could do with a bit of feedback be it good or bad.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Has anyone used the crank brothers xc headset? Could do with a bit of **** be it good or bad.

From mates experiences, they're crap, like all CB products, waste of time. Why do you want such a low stack headset?
  • lawman wrote:
    From mates experiences, they're crap, like all CB products, waste of time. Why do you want such a low stack headset?

Dusters have quite a long headtube and the steerer on the forks isn't long enough to use a standard headset unfortunately.