Yay Spain!

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited January 2013 in Pro race
http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13547 ... title.aspx

Place is a pox on sport, seriously
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Nice to see Spain doing their bit for the war on doping

The IOC's chucked India out of the Olympics because of the shenanigans of the Indian Olympics Association.

Spain, the country that treats its dopers as heroes, to get kicked out in the cold in the cycling world? Hell, why not
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Wonder if the outcome would have been different if a Spanish cyclist had been awarded the win rather than a Russian...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    Meanwhile WADA suspend the Madrid testing lab for three months.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1722 ... ree-months
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Spain are a disgrace in this aspect. Hope IOC take action..
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    Nothing to do with PEDs but I have to a total anti-Spanish bias in relation to sport not based on cycling but with my experiences kayak racing in Spain. The experience wasn't great... including...

Going round all the foreign teams accommodation in the early hours of the morning the night before races trying to wake you up and stop you getting any sleep.

Rearranging the rocks in the rapids the night before the race thereby negating the recce you had done previously.

Having paddlers entered with the only and specific purpose of ramming foreign crews and trying to push you into wrong lines on rapids and break your kayak up.

Cheating on take off in sprint relay races by a massive margin. Officials apologised but wouldn't disqualify their crews.

and more...

Since those days (even if they were a long time ago) I'm really cynical about their level of sportsmanship and fair play.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    Its funny that Britain has the start of the Tour in 2012 and is holding it one of the hilliest part of the country. If we were Spain or Italy and had a rider like Cav you can bet we'd have 4 flat sprint stages around East Anglia!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,131
    Dabber wrote:
    Nothing to do with PEDs but I have to a total anti-Spanish bias in relation to sport not based on cycling but with my experiences kayak racing in Spain. The experience wasn't great... including...

Going round all the foreign teams accommodation in the early hours of the morning the night before races trying to wake you up and stop you getting any sleep.

Rearranging the rocks in the rapids the night before the race thereby negating the recce you had done previously.

Having paddlers entered with the only and specific purpose of ramming foreign crews and trying to push you into wrong lines on rapids and break your kayak up.

Cheating on take off in sprint relay races by a massive margin. Officials apologised but wouldn't disqualify their crews.

and more...

Since those days (even if they were a long time ago) I'm really cynical about their level of sportsmanship and fair play.

I'm afraid that I am the same regarding Spanish sport - and I wish it wasn't so. Just do not trust them at all. I really want to like Bertie; he does set races alight, and has that something, is it 'panache'?

Saying that, I'm still a fan of El Matador; Carlos Sainz, 2xWRC Champion.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,539
    Given the relationship sport had with Franco in Spain it's hardly surprising.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:

It seems they mixed up samples and accused the wrong person of doping (a cyclist!)
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    iainf72 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

It seems they mixed up samples and accused the wrong person of doping (a cyclist!)

I wondered where Fuentes senile old assistant ended up.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,284
    If we accept that the testing protocols are there for a reason, to ensure that the tests are valid and performed without possible bias, then the Spanish court came to the correct decision.

The bit that is all wrong about this case is that it went to the Spanish court, rather than to CAS. I was under the impression that athletes accepted being bound to CAS as the highest adjudicator of sporting issues. If that's no more than a gentleman's agreement then we're in trouble.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    If we accept that the testing protocols are there for a reason, to ensure that the tests are valid and performed without possible bias, then the Spanish court came to the correct decision.

The bit that is all wrong about this case is that it went to the Spanish court, rather than to CAS. I was under the impression that athletes accepted being bound to CAS as the highest adjudicator of sporting issues. If that's no more than a gentleman's agreement then we're in trouble.

Football and other sports have tried this too. As Bosman showed if he want to go through the courts rather than CAS then you can
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,284
    sherer wrote:

Football and other sports have tried this too. As Bosman showed if he want to go through the courts rather than CAS then you can
    Bosman's case wasn't a sporting case though, it was an employment case. CAS can't be used to determine whether sporting regulations comply with relevant national and international law.
    Sheffield utd was more interesting, as they directly appealed their relegation to the high court ( where they lost, don't know the details) then managed to get an FA commission to arbitrate on compensation, before reaching a settlement outside the commission. The first step was the only one that challenged CAS jurisdiction .
    The Armstrong case also threw up some interesting rulings. The court ruled that there was a clear arbitration process to follow under the jurisdiction of CAS, but noted that if Armstrong's rights to due process weren't upheld he could have recourse to the American courts. Again, essentially, if it's sporting it's CAS, if the ruling from CAS violates national law then he can challenge on that basis.

But what we're seeing in Spain is a case that should clearly be under CAS jurisdiction (was a result determination valid if the testing protocols that lead to the removal weren't followed) being adjudicated by a Spanish court.

I think it's possible that some party in this is in violation of IOC statutes.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format