Getting tyres on Crest Rims to seat

Greer_
Greer_ Posts: 1,716
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I had a quick search but couldn't see anything on this topic.

Im using a Schwalbe Nobby Nic and a Racing Ralph 2.25" with tubes at the moment until I get a bit of money for the tape/sealant/valves.

Any tips on how to get the tyres to seat? I've tried overinflating up to about 40psi but I'm cautious of blowing the tyre of the rim as max pressure is 45psi. I thought it was a badly built wheel as it was wobbling but then realised its most likely the tyres. After the hassle of actually getting the tyres on I though the hard work was done! :lol: Any help is always appreciated :)

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I usually just inflate to 20 psi, then any of the tyre bead that's still sitting in the well, just pull the carcass at that point. Fairy liquid on the bead may help if you continue to have problems.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Blow up to 20ish psi and then man handle the beads roughly into place by gripping the tyre on rolling it off the rim to seat the tyre better. Then inflate until lots of loud pings happen indicating the tyre is seating better. Then deflate to the required pressures.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Greer_
    Okay, thanks :) i'll go out and give it another go now.
  • You can inflate the tyre well above 45 psi and be totally fine. I usually have to do mine to around 60 to seat.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I had the same problem with Stan's rims and a Fat Albert. It took ages, but I did 60psi, then down, then 60psi, then down, repeat to fade...
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900
    I have crest rims. Have had problems with certain tyres. I usually rub fairy liquid around the edge of rim, inflate tyre to about 20psi then manipulate the tyre to encourage it to seat properly, then inflate on up to 50 or 60psi until the tyre pings out.then deflate tyre to desired pressure.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • Greer_
    Soapy water did the trick, cheers guys!