What puncture kits/adhesive patches do you use ??

bilabonic
bilabonic Posts: 299
edited January 2013 in Commuting general
Hi All

Just wondered what to get as i've always been old skool and used Wilkinsons glue ones which u sand/apply glu/chalk.

What are the adhesive ones like and can anyone recommend the cheapest ones ?

Thanks
Specialized Epic FSR Carbon Comp

Comments

• Oh just noticed that Wilko's do them also -

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/bike-acces ... t/0258276/

Ta
    Specialized Epic FSR Carbon Comp
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    £2.25? :roll: I'm sure I only pay 99p for glue on ones :lol:
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    bilabonic wrote:
    What are the adhesive ones like and can anyone recommend the cheapest ones ?

Not as good as the old sort! Stick with those - you'll not thank yourself if you don't!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    The stick on ones are just to get you home I read somewhere to then fix it proper.
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    I've used the Park pre-glued patches as a permanent repair. Is that wrong? :shock:
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Rema Tip Top - the good old stand-by
  • Hoopdriver wrote:
    Rema Tip Top - the good old stand-by

+1 Always use rema tip top
  • As I always find the glue in a tube has dried up the second time I go to use it, I buy the mini puncture kits from Tesco for about £1 and if I use one I buy another kit. I rarely use them as I hardly ever get punctures and I carry a spare tube. For the bike with fatter, lower pressure tyres I just carry the self adhesive ones, but cannot comment on how good they are as have never used one...
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I also carry a spare tube and use rema tip top patches - trying to patch when out is a nightmare as you get cold and it's unlikely you'd be able to get the tube clean and dry enough for the patch to take when outside

CRC do the very smallest ones, get these as any big gash in a tube usually results in the tube being binned and most of the time the bigger patches are wider than a 23mm tube which makes gluing the edges a PITA

get good quality glue
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • curium wrote:
    I've used the Park pre-glued patches as a permanent repair. Is that wrong? :shock:

+1

Never had a problem with these failing so far and some have been going strong for close to a year. Don't know if what PSI you run at makes a difference though?
    One for the road.....
    The beer not the bike!
    FCN 11

http://app.strava.com/athletes/399251
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    curium wrote:

+1

Never had a problem with these failing so far and some have been going strong for close to a year. Don't know if what PSI you run at makes a difference though?

A year really isn't very long at all. The problem is, if it fails when you are out. Mine only failed when I deflated the tube at home for eg tyre replacements (and well after a year) and that is when it is most likely to fail (ie when the patch has lost flexibility and the tube as shrunk to deflated size and the rubber then lifts away from the patch - which won't happen with traditional patches)- but I can see that if you got a second puncture in a pre-glued patch repaired tube and you had to repair out on the road, you might find you get an instant second failure.

Incidentally, this happened with big MTB tyres. I think I'd already pretty much given up on pre-glued by the time I got into road bikes.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Trikeman
    Trikeman Posts: 151
    Hi, I have used 'Scabs' for years with no problems - thankfully when MTBing, and not on my commute :shock:

Regards,

Trikeman. :wink:
    With a huff and a puff the old man gets to the top - eventually ;o

After one enormous 'cull' this is all that's left.
    Sabbath September Ti.
    Specialized Stumpjumper Pro FSR.
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    I've always used Halfords PRKs. I used to have problems with the vulcanising solution going bad, but now I always make sure I close the lid properly and as soon as possible after use. Mind you, its been years since I've had a puncture as I don't ride BMX much any more. When I used to ride BMX a lot it wouldn't be unusual to get several punctures in one session and have inner tubes half covered in patches.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    curium wrote:

+1

A year really isn't very long at all. The problem is, if it fails when you are out. Mine only failed when I deflated the tube at home for eg tyre replacements (and well after a year) and that is when it is most likely to fail (ie when the patch has lost flexibility and the tube as shrunk to deflated size and the rubber then lifts away from the patch - which won't happen with traditional patches)- but I can see that if you got a second puncture in a pre-glued patch repaired tube and you had to repair out on the road, you might find you get an instant second failure.

Incidentally, this happened with big MTB tyres. I think I'd already pretty much given up on pre-glued by the time I got into road bikes.

A year for me is a long time as after a few months most of the tube is covered in patches and has more holes than a tetley tea bag!

I can see where you are coming from but luckily that hasn't happened to me. They are MTB tyres and running at 60psi so I can imagine that the greater curvature on road tubes could prove more of a problem.

A slightly off topic qustion:

After how many repairs do you bin a tube?
    One for the road.....
    The beer not the bike!
    FCN 11

• What kind of riding are you doing to get so many punctured and with what tyres?

Edit: As for tubes, bin them if they start to go down too quickly, have gained too much weight, in your opinion, or a new patch would overlap an old one.
  • nigglenoo wrote:
    What kind of riding are you doing to get so many punctured and with what tyres?

Edit: As for tubes, bin them if they start to go down too quickly, have gained too much weight, in your opinion, or a new patch would overlap an old one.

Schwalbe City Jets 26X1.95. They have a degree of puncture protection as I must pick out approx 15 bits of glass every couple of weeks that don't make it through to the tube.

Doing approx 15 miles each way on the commute. Unfortunately most of it's through Croydon, Brixton, Elephant and the other delights of South London on the way into the city. The streets seemed to be paved with broken beer bottles and not gold!
    One for the road.....
    The beer not the bike!
    FCN 11

• johnny25
    johnny25 Posts: 344
    I use Halfords PRK too.
  • scraff
    scraff Posts: 70
    Another vote for Rema tip top here.
  • bails1310
    bails1310 Posts: 361
    Bell self sticking from Asda.
    Cheap and never had an issue with a fail.
    Experienced far more hassle and problems with the gluey ones, defiantly not for me.
    Kuota Kharma Race [Dry/Sunny]
    Raleigh Airlite 100 [Wet/Horrible]