Water in my rims somewhere?

MattyyP
MattyyP Posts: 142
edited December 2012 in Road beginners
So like a beast i've been eating the miles over the past few days through some pretty horrific conditions!

However I have an issue, my bike is fitted with Shimano RS30 wheels, and water has managed to get into the rims/near them. How can I stop this? I don't really understand how it has got there if i'm honest... Or where abouts in the rim it is, as i've not look yet. I shall be soon, but really what I want to know is how to stop this happening...
Specialized Secteur Sport 2011
B'Twin Rockrider 8 XC
B'Twin Rockrider 9.1

Comments

• Sjef
    Sjef Posts: 5
    the water enters along spoke/nipple joints. To stop it, you will have to make the joints/opening in the rims watertight. I would not try. to empty the rim, take the tire off and drain through the valve opening.
  • MattyyP
    MattyyP Posts: 142
    Ahh righttt! Cheers dude, will drain it right away! :)
    Specialized Secteur Sport 2011
    B'Twin Rockrider 8 XC
    B'Twin Rockrider 9.1
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I've got some rs80s and they have a small drain hole, if the 30s do, take them off and lay them on their side and they'll drain.
  • Just fitted rs30's tonight! And can confirm they do have a drain hole in the rim. Just make sure you position them down when in storage!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My RS10's also have drain holes, so if I've been out in the wet I just make sure the holes are at the bottom when I park the bike.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    It goes without saying I suppose, but the RS20's have 'em as well :oops:
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Rimming!!

Not as topic I would have expected on here.
  • Is this what happened to me? Last week I went into the shed and picked my bike up. A constant stream of water appeared to run from the back wheel area, near the hub. I couldn't figure out where the water had come from!!
  • navrig
    Either that or your incontinence has returned.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    I have a set of rims quite prone to this. I found that they'd dry out if I let the tyres down and left them somewhere warm. A lot less faff than actually removing the tyres.
  • Bustacapp
    Bustacapp Posts: 971
    edited December 2012
    Navrig wrote:

Merry Christmas!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Just leave them with the drain holes down after you've washed the bike. I've never had to remove tyres to get the water out.

It does make me wonder if the advantage of deep rims is still there in very wet conditions ? I guess any rim will get water in though ?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    cougie wrote:
    It does make me wonder if the advantage of deep rims is still there in very wet conditions ?

I wonder about the advantages of deep section rims for the average (non-elite) rider full stop! They do look nice though :wink:
  • navrig
    Bustacapp wrote:
    Navrig wrote:

Merry Christmas!

Thanks and Merry Christmas to you too :D