SC24R

Wrath Rob
Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
edited February 2013 in Commuting chat
24 hour distance race around Silverstone on 14/15 September next year. Ever since I saw something similar in France I've been up for doing one of these as part of a team. Anyone else interested in a Team SCR?
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i'll do half a lap then collapse into the gravel if that helps?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Yes.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Interesting...
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tetm
    tetm Posts: 564
    I'd definitely be keen. After London to Paris 24 this year and the London - Edinburgh - London next year I'd be well up for it.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,277
    I'm tempted too. tetm what training are you doing for LEL?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    I'm in.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    if you get 24 people it'll be pretty easy.... :P
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Sorry... I just felt the need to display my supreme mathematical ability!
  • ShandyH
    ShandyH Posts: 555
    Would love to but I'll be on holiday. Booo.
  • tetm
    pangolin wrote:

None yet. Though it will be along the lines of L2P24, just ride lots. Lots of organised sportives to save doing the same routes and getting bored, London-Brighton-London, Box Hill, extended Dunwich Dynamo. Are you keen?

As an aside, was that you on the Dolan in Parliament Square this morning? All in black with Craft toe warmers?
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    I'd have been in but am running a Raid Pyrenean that week so won't be able to make it.

Best of luck!
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,277
    tetm wrote:
    pangolin wrote:

None yet. Though it will be along the lines of L2P24, just ride lots. Lots of organised sportives to save doing the same routes and getting bored, London-Brighton-London, Box Hill, extended Dunwich Dynamo. Are you keen?

As an aside, was that you on the Dolan in Parliament Square this morning? All in black with Craft toe warmers?

I am keen, though the stalking has put me off a bit

It was me indeed! Where were you? And how did you recognise me?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • tetm
    pangolin wrote:
    tetm wrote:
    pangolin wrote:

I am keen, though the stalking has put me off a bit

It was me indeed! Where were you? And how did you recognise me?

I was on the blue/silver old steel steed with lots of mudguards. Um, it says 'Dolan' in your signature and I remember you saying you don't wear a helmet. I did the math(s).

So let's SCR the 24hr and the LEL. There's also a possibility I'm doing L2P24 again. Oh gaaad.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Hmmm so people are doing LEL then, temping and also tempted by this...
  • 3dm4r
    3dm4r Posts: 46
    Ooh, this looks interesting.

A bunch of us do the Le Mans 24 on inline skates every year. I'd hope that cycling would be easier :-)
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    rebs wrote:
    if you get 24 people it'll be pretty easy.... :P

Hmmmmm Interesting; would probably get a bit dizzy though going round and round.

I could be in though - been looking for a 2013 Challenge other than L2P.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • MBCaad8
    MBCaad8 Posts: 127
    I'm in
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    iPete wrote:
    Hmmm so people are doing LEL then, temping and also tempted by this...

I've got LEL down as my challenge for 2013 too, although not sure I'll be doing it at the same speed as some on here will no doubt be achieving.

Been tempted with the Silverstone one before, think you need to get a decent team together numbers wise and prepare for the 'dull' night-time slots more than you'd perhaps anticipate.
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • I'm interested in this despite it being a long way away. Having been part of a StrathPuffer team (same thing except on a hilly and technically challenging in places MTB course in the middle of the Highland winter) this can only be an awful lot easier (no changing out of wet kit in the back of a Transit at 2C). The only downside is that Silverstone is incredibly flat. There was/is a similar ride at Knockhill - much more interesting circuit to ride (and drive). Maybe there could be SCR A and B (etc) teams if there's enough interest?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • cyclingprop
    Flat is good for me!
  • Flat is good for me!

For sure it works better for us larger riders. Riding down Duffus Dip at Knockhill would probably keep your brain engaged though :D

If we had a couple of teams, one could act as a towing team for the other :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • iPete
    Drove around silverstone a few years ago, should be flat enough for the fixie + tri bars. :twisted:

See it's teams of 4 or solo, hmmmm
  • I'd be interested to hear what people's best 1 hr distances are... according to Endomondo I'm capable of a lowly 18.27 miles.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • I don't have a best 1-hour distance. 86 miles at 19.3mph is my best. The last day of Malin-to-Mizen I also averaged 19.3mph over 54miles - I was at above 20mph but there was loads of traffic in the last 5 miles.

Silverstone ought to be ultra-quick though - super-smooth surface and wide, fast corners - averaged well above 80mph when I raced on the National Circuit earlier this year. You could certainly get away with tri-bars and super fast tyres too.
  • iPete
    I'd be interested to hear what people's best 1 hr distances are... according to Endomondo I'm capable of a lowly 18.27 miles.

23miles is my best recorded hour as part of a triathlon and 5 hours 8 minutes to do the first 100 miles during Ironman, neither flat! Silverstone with good weather could be very fast.

Be interesting to know what was required to win last year and what tactics teams used; all solo or paired up to share the work and keep the speed up etc.
  • iPete wrote:
    Be interesting to know what was required to win last year and what tactics teams used; all solo or paired up to share the work and keep the speed up etc.

As above - entering 2 teams (Le Mans style) but using the B team to tow the A team for the first 12 hours or so to save their legs and maybe for the first few laps of later stints too.

Better still, 3 teams all working as one big team with 1 rider from each team riding as a 3-some. Sharing the work has to be a secret to success.
  • iPete
    Do we need to get Brailsford in to select the first and domestique teams?
  • cyclingprop
    Working as a train sounds good.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    I am interested !

Gives my summer riding a purpose and a competitive challenge. Let's do it.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • 3dm4r
    3dm4r Posts: 46
    Anyone signed up for this yet? I've managed to persuade some of my skating friends to do it and we've four teams of four registered.