Alfine hub gears off road?

stevelee101
stevelee101 Posts: 12
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
Just wondering if anyone's got experience with using Alfine hub gears off-road? I'm looking at a Genesis 29er with the system fitted.
Is it reliable? Good shifting? What's the gear spread like (on the 8 and 11 speed set ups)? I realise there'll be bigger jumps between the gears than, say, a 3 x 9, but are top and bottom gears similar to a two or three chain ring / cassette set up?
All advice appreciated, ta! :D

Comments

• BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    I don't have on an off-road set up (but would like to).

I have an 8-speed on a Giant Seek. Used in mainly dry weather for around-town riding, so you might want to bear this in mind (although I think one on an MTB will be fine or they wouldn;t do it).

Shifting is great, you can change at a standstill should you want/need to and mine's been very reliable.

Hope that's of some use.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The 8's are a bit limited off road as the gear spread isn't as big as 3x9 (which in reality gives you 13 gears as the rest are overlapping duplicates), a friend comes out on our local flat rides with his but doesn't take it to trail centres due to the gearing.

11's give a similar gear spread to many 2x9's and is better off road.

Weight penalty is circa 400g compared to a cassette.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The 8's are a bit limited off road as the gear spread isn't as big as 3x9 (which in reality gives you 13 gears as the rest are overlapping duplicates), a friend comes out on our local flat rides with his but doesn't take it to trail centres due to the gearing.

11's give a similar gear spread to many 2x9's and is better off road.

Weight penalty is circa 400g compared to a cassette.

Cheers for that. Any reliability problems? What maintenance is there to do, just a transmission fluid change every blue moon?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I know a few people who use them on their winter bikes because of the reliability and the fully enclosed mechanism is good in UK conditions. I rode a Charge Duster 8 with the 8 speed Alfine, it's very good, similar to riding a normal 1x9 set up (but with only 9 gears). You can feel the extra weight.
    You soon build the leg strength to get up any hill with the 8 speed Alfine.