Intense Socom + Lyriks

bluechair84
bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
edited March 2013 in Your mountain bikes
480299_10151157474621262_336612067_n.jpg

So here it is, the replacement for the Canyon Torque. I've thought about spraying it up as I did the Torque but I'm going to leave it until next year. Now it's arrived, I can see that the frame is a bit scarred, possibly more so than any second hand frame I've ever bought... The pivots seem a bit stiff so I'm going to have to replace all the bearings. The build from the Torque is going to move onto this and the Torque sold on. More to follow as it comes together!

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Sweeeeet, love those socom frames :) Probably more of a downhill frame than the torque, I always thought it was more of an enduro/freeride frame adapted for big travel rather than a ground up downhill design.
    Also, keep it raw, i reckon they look ace like that, or white.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • bluechair84
    Yeah, the torque feels too 'safe'. I'll be leaving it raw until the spring at least, but there's loads of scratches that would be nice to get out, so I might look at sanding and buffing it back to fresh.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    niiiiice

gonna be keeping a close eye on this
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Hairy Bikers? Dunno about Socom more like Socamp!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • bluechair84
    Hairy Bikers? Dunno about Socom more like Socamp!

Just to keep with the random TV show referencing; Que? As Manuel would say.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I think I see a hairy bikers cook book in the background there! I f**king hate the hairy bikers! :lol:
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • bluechair84
    Ah I see! Well for you sir, I recommend 'Beer-can Chicken'! That's a proper redneck cook book that. Every recipe is; take can of beer, jam up backside of bird. Cook on a BBQ. Gobble.
  • minley1
    minley1 Posts: 126
    480299_10151157474621262_336612067_n.jpg

So here it is, the replacement for the Canyon Torque. I've thought about spraying it up as I did the Torque but I'm going to leave it until next year. Now it's arrived, I can see that the frame is a bit scarred, possibly more so than any second hand frame I've ever bought... The pivots seem a bit stiff so I'm going to have to replace all the bearings. The build from the Torque is going to move onto this and the Torque sold on. More to follow as it comes together!

Just wondering, how did you manage to take a 'photo in Terry & June's living room?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd just polish the frame back to a near burnished finish, then use car wax to prevent oxidation, my mates GF's GT is like that, looks nice!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bluechair84
    I'd just polish the frame back to a near burnished finish, then use car wax to prevent oxidation, my mates GF's GT is like that, looks nice!
    It will definately be this way for a little while yet. It might be that next summer I've come to love the raw finish so much I just leave it... I haven't sold the Canyon yet but I bet I'll loose a load of money on it. Leaving the Socom should help if it ever gets sold on!
  • bluechair84
    Well, it's taken me a bit of time to work out the dropouts... The Socom / Uzzi dropouts (same rear triangle) are not G3, but all the holes are the same. G3 has more cut away allowing it to slot into different mounting points on the frame adjusting the geo. The 951 uses G3, but they might be different specs which would alter the geo again. Intense or CRC sell them at ridiculous prices, Works used to make some but don't anymore... Precision still make them but again, expensive and they ship from the US... ExtraUK do, but only in 150/135mm... But I have finally got some 142mm ones! However, I might be having second thoughts as they were so hard to get hold of in the first place that if I ding the mech hanger, I'm bugger. Anyway, update in brief, it's going to have a 142mm rear end. Next update in 4 weeks time when the next paypacket comes... :(
  • bluechair84
    12122_10151193561226262_783734308_n.jpg

It's coming along now! I'm just waiting on the arrival of my 142mm rear end before the wheels can go on, but otherwise It's pretty much done. Needs a clean though.
    One issue had whilst building this morning was the cable routing. There are guides along the downtube, and then the seatstays. This would leave a large S curve of unsupported lines to the back end. So Instead I've opted to pass the lines inside the stanchions, under the top tube, above the shock where they are zip-tied and on to the seatstays. Ideally, I'd also like to pass the lines through the upper link but that will mean taking apart and bleeding the caliper, so I'll do that in the future.
    Oh, and the ti spring I think might be a touch to short... I measure the amount of space betwwn the coils on the stock steel spring, and it's slightly larger than that of the ti spring. As long as the longer steel spring doesn't compress until it's almost binding, then the ti will be alright. Something I'll have to keep an eye on when I start using full travel.

edit-- and the LG1 I have unfortunately won't fit as the frame is not ISCG 05... gutted.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    that thing looks even nicer up close, sweet frame :)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • bluechair84
    ilovedirt wrote:
    that thing looks even nicer up close, sweet frame :)
    8) Cheers. Can't wait to get the new dropouts and sit on her for the first time!
  • bluechair84
    It's so nearly here... but still so much to do!

148645_10151217471516262_1051775936_n.jpg

406666_10151217472096262_1230996211_n.jpg

28746_10151217485571262_186491073_n.jpg
    (edit-- a better quality image was needed!)

Comes in at about 37lbs without a chain or a guide. Issues so far; I've serious problems with the frame bearings and didn't get many ideas over in the workshop thread. What seems to have happened is that the bolt holding the bearing in is seized to the inner race on both sides of the upper link (main triangle bolts). On one side, undoing the bolt has pulled out the bearing to the point that the bolt is no longer threaded into the frame - and it now just spins with the inner race and I can't get the fracker out. On the otherside, the bearing is so siezed into the linkage that undoing the bolt flexes out the link. I'm going to try some g-clamps but can't quite get the time to go to the local hardware store. So though it looks close to being rideable, until I get the bearings resolved it's going nowhere... And I haven't been so excited to ride in longer than I can remember... I want to feel how this girl shreds!!
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    429461_10151193920706262_1180611000_n.jpg
      bloody camwhores, get em sorted :lol:
      elmerfudd.jpg
      Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
    • bluechair84
      I do feel like Elmer Fudd at the moment, damn rabbits are decimating our Christmas tree...
    • DCR00
      can i ask why you chose the Socom over the Torque ?
    • bluechair84
      Because the Torque didn't offer enough of an advantage over the Moment. The Torque I think rides like a hefty, descending capable AM bike. But when I had a coil-over and 36s on the Moment, that was faster up, along, and virtually as fast going down. Because I currently have Revs, Lyrics and two sets of wheels, I can easily convert the Moment from an XC bike to an AM bike. So, the Socom has come in to distance the two builds and give me more potential at proper DH circuits.

This evening, I've also solved the bearing/linkage issues by using big mallets, fat flat-heads and adjustable spanners. The bolts were stuck in the bearings by the sheer amount of loctite on them! Chain on, gears indexed, line routing sorted, sag set, she's ready to go! After Xmas I'll be putting new bearings in, stripping the horrible decals and polishing it up.
    • DCR00
      so you dont rate the Torque as a DH rig then ? or just too close to the Moment ?

reason i ask is cause im looking at getting a dh bike next year and the Torque is on the list. TBH the Socom is on the list as well, but a new Torque FRX for £1,600 is quiet tempting....

Lets see some complete pics then !
    • bluechair84
      There some finished pics on p1 - can you not see them? They're hosted by Facebook but the privacy setting for that album is public so... let me know if they're not visible.
      The Torque is a good bike for sure, and with triples on the front it was transformed, handled really great. I've never had a DH bike though and I felt that the Torque was still holding back. I'll be better able to discuss it in comparison to the Socom when I've had a few rides on it. But compared to the Moment, it only felt marginally more sure on descents.
    • DCR00
      would be interested in your thoughts once you've had a chance to give the Socom a good thrashing
    • bluechair84
      If you're interested, I wrote up a more detailed account of my feeligns towards the Torque here. I'll definitely come back with my feelings upon the upgrade. I might go and pop it down some stairs this evening as it looks like it will be a while before I can get out to a proper DH track.
    • DCR00
      Interesting reading. Puts some doubt in my mind about the Canyon. I def dont want a jack of all trades.

Liked your Alps vid as well
    • The Torque you had wasn't the DH version though was it?
      It was the AM/FR version with DC forks - wasn't it the older version with 170mm rear travel?

The Torqe FRX with 200mm front and rear travel is a different beast all together!

Socom looks awesome btw!
    • DCR00
      Hmmm, maybe need to have a closer look at the geo of the two models then
    • bluechair84
      Yes, that's right, it is important to remember mine was touted as an enduro/freeride bike with 170mm travel. I just don't think it works as an enduro bike, isn't sprightly enough for freeride, and when I bought it, I was dipping a toe into DH bikes to see if it was for me. Having enjoyed the Torque for a little while now, I definitely want a bike that is designed for DH.
    • DCR00
      Looking at the geo from the 2010 model to the 2013 model, its slacker at the headtube by nearly 3 degrees (at 200mm travel), with a 2-3 degree seat tube angle increase. On top of that the wheelbase is around 50mm longer.

So def a different bike