Quick release skewers

frankspencer1979
frankspencer1979 Posts: 525
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
With regards standard size QR skewers (I.e. not thru-axles) In people's experience, do they all perform the same? Will the bog standard, plain black ones I got with my bike be just the same as any of the shinier varieties!? Is there anything to look for/avoid when choosing new ones?

Comments

• Very small weight difference and a little more bling but in reality no difference.

Shimano seem to get well rated.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Shimano are a closed system with a cam. They work well, with less pressure needed to close them than some, and last well because the moving parts are enclosed.
    Depends what your bog standard ones are. Some are ok, some are rubbish.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I don't know what brand they are, but they hold the wheel in place like they're supposed too, and release quickly when needed! I was wondering if there's any gains in stiffness to be had, like you get from a maxle etc'?
  • cooldad
    Nope. Just go with what you've got.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There are actually small differences in overall stiffness.

Can't go wrong with any shimano.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Shimano internal cam has a higher leverage ratio which means it's easier to get a higher clamping load (there are other internal cam designs though) than with conventional external cam designs, they do weigh a little more, Deore work fine, XT shave a few grams but cost a bit more, they work just as well, XTR are flaming expensive!

I'm a weight weenie but don't skimp on Skewers so am on XT's.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Shimano work the best, but aren't that light if you're bothered by such things.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    True...my XT pair weigh 116g, the Deores were about 140g.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Tune are light and use an internal cam, not cheap though. Not as confidence inspiring as Shimano either.
  • I have one of these. Much smoother and better to use than the standard QR that was fitted.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220975218198? ... 1423.l2649
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I have one of these. Much smoother and better to use than the standard QR that was fitted.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220975218198? ... 1423.l2649
    Noooooooo!

Well in my experience anyway.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • cooldad
    But it's Hope - will double the value if your bike immediately.*

*or not.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    Shimano Deore. 10 years on, no issues.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    I had some hope skewers. Thought it was a neat idea that they had also made them anti theft.. once you'd closed the lever, you werent opening them without a bar/spanner.
    Soon got binned, well sold for a silly amount on ebay.