Read the sticky but still not sure? (£300 - £500) spend

Ipadmax
Ipadmax Posts: 3
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys new to the forum and "sort of" new to mountain biking. I have read the sticky and spent some time on the halfords website and the voodo seems to have favoured reviews so that seems quite favourable but still unsure on how it would stack up against these questions. Please forgive me with any silly or daft questions I ask but you were all new at one point!

Voodo Hoodo
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_790309_langId_-1_categoryId_165499

* how much strain can this bike take, will it be good enough for some serious downhill and mud crawling?
* Will it rust if I keep it clean, the more I washed my last bike the more rust I found.
* will the disk brakes bend under normal usage?
* what needs to be taken of the bike quickly parts wise, what's bad on the bike?

What is halfords policy and warranty on bikes? I have heard them not replacing bikes at all! Last of all I want the bike in hot pink, anyone suggest a good place in the northwest for repaints. Last of all can this be claimed under the ride to work scheme and if so how do you apply?

Thanks all.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'll assume you're not on drugs.

It's not a Downhill bike, but maybe you didn't mean Downhill. It will go up and down hills.

Aluminium doesn't rust.

Er no.

Nothing or you're buying the wrong bike. Except contact points, pedals, tyres, saddle.

Check Halfords website.

No.

The bike - depends on the scheme you have access to. The repaint- I doubt it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    I'll assume you're not on drugs.

It's not a Downhill bike, but maybe you didn't mean Downhill. It will go up and down hills.

Aluminium doesn't rust.

Er no.

Nothing or you're buying the wrong bike. Except contact points, pedals, tyres, saddle.

Check Halfords website.

No.

The bike - depends on the scheme you have access to. The repaint- I doubt it.[/quote

Thanks for the somewhat helpful advice, like I said I'm new but allot of what I wil be wanting to do is go down some basic trails but just wanted the bike to last that's all.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    He answered all the questions - maybe not in the most helpful manner I agree.....

For £500 you have 2 go to options, the Hoodoo or the Rockrider 8.1, the RR is very much an XC bike, the Hoodoo a much more all rounder and quite capable of doing trail riding to light all mountain work.

You won't get a Downhill bike for £500, but both bikes are quite capable of going downhill, though the Hoodoo would make life easier.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Just to clarify, by 'Downhill' people are talking full face helmet, very hardcore Danny Hart type stuff. You are very unlikley to be doing this for some time yet, if ever.

Both bikes are suitable for most of the riding you are likely to do - including typical uk trail centres.

The Hoodoo will be a great bike for the money. The shocking pink thing is personal, but unless you can strip the bike yourself and reassemble it is going to cost a fair wack in relation to the cost of the bike. That money would be far better spent on good tyres and beer. If you must 'express yourself' can't you just get pink grips to start with and see how you get on? These are good:
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=277