looking for routes near southwest london

I am fairly new to cycling, or put another way only recently getting a bit more serious about it.

I live in Wimbledon so have found Richmond Park and Box Hill as 2 good local routes as well as a bit of hardcore training cycling up and down the various roads to Wimbledon Hill.

But I can't keep cycling the same 3 trips and hate sharing the road with traffic. Anyone got any suggestions where else I get ride about?

Comments

• Not yet a member, but there are some good routes on the Kingston Wheelers web site.

There's also bikeroutetoaster.com, where you can make your own.

If you leave Richmond Park at Ham Gate, and cross the river at Teddington Lock, you can get out to Bushy Park, then over Hampton Court Bridge. That opens up some nice routes south (down towards Box Hill, as I discovered at the weekend), and west towards Chobham.

There's no substitute for poring over the maps and working it all out yourself, if you're riding alone.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • thanks, i hadnt though of bushy park - not as big as richmond but good for a few laps?
  • thanks, i hadnt though of bushy park - not as big as richmond but good for a few laps?
    Not really - there's no road round the perimeter as there is in RP.

Just the road through from Teddington to Hampton Court. It's once you get beyond there that the nice possibilities open up.
  • ok, could be good. ride from my house to ham gate is good so if its nice from there im happy
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    If you get on the train to somewhere like Basingstoke or Winchester you are in reach of some excellent routes. It's probably only 45mins from Wimbledon
  • ok, could be good. ride from my house to ham gate is good so if its nice from there im happy
    Try it. Ham Gate Ave, over the bridge at Teddington lock, up through the middle of Teddington, left towards Bushy Park at the mini r'about at the railway bridge, right into the park, right at the end and over Hampton Court Bridge.

Don't go down to the S(c)illy Isles (A307/A309 twin r'abouts), way too much traffic. Turn right just after the bridge and go down Ember Lane to Esher. Or if you want flat A3050 Hurst Road to Walton and beyond.

As I say, no substitute for working out the route yourself with the map.
  • One option is to head out through Esher, Cobham, East/West Horsley, Shere, Peaslake, Ewhurst that will open up a lot of good riding you can head out further/loop back via number of variations.

Another option is to have a look at some of the organised rides by Wiggle, Evans, ukcyclingevents etc either as a rough idea of a route or join one, there are a few that start or pass through Dorking usually including Box Hill.
    Dawes Super Galaxy x2, Airnimal Ultima, Brompton T3, Windcheetah No 189 (with fairings), Spezialized S-works Stumpjumper FSR 2006, Colnago C50, Hard tail & time trial - TBC ;-)
  • thanks - ill check those out