TRS+ wheelset

Richie63
Richie63 Posts: 2,132
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
Anyone running a set of these/ If so how are they holding up to UK riding mud, clag etc

f7c9d7f8f0d47d8cef680bb12d32db22.jpg
I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Daft amount of money for an aluminium wheelset. DT240s, your choice of Stan's rim and DT spoke. Done.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Tune hubs, cx-rays and arch Ex's, problem solved.
  • njee20
    Until your freehub cracks, when your problems start all over again.

CX-Rays aren't worth the money unless you break a lot of spokes too, and even then it just means you break nipples. Revolutions are 1/3 the price and the same weight.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    njee20 wrote:
    Until your freehub cracks, when your problems start all over again.

CX-Rays aren't worth the money unless you break a lot of spokes too, and even then it just means you break nipples. Revolutions are 1/3 the price and the same weight.

I've heard things are much improved now, they certainly look decent value from germany too, well comparative to the E-13's.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    CX rays seem to build into stiffer wheels mind.
  • njee20
    Why? They're just a flattened Laser. No stiffer, just a placebo. They have a higher fatigue life, nowt else.

I've had 2 sets of mtb wheels with them, and one with Aerolites. Not worth it IMO. Particularly for the £100 premium they command.
  • supersonic
    CX rays build into stiffer wheels than revs in my experience. nothing more I can really add to that, just what I have discovered!The technical reason would be the elasticity of them.
  • njee20
    How are you measuring that?

The cross sectional area is exactly the same, so the Young's Modulus is the same.
  • supersonic
    I am not measuring it! It is a perceived increase when riding revs and CX Rays, no more than that. I don't have the figures or exact materials for the spokes, nor know how the work hardening affects the spokes in this respect.

Deflection tests of the wheels (which I don't have anymore) is the only way to be sure and give meaningful figures.
  • njee20
    Fair enough! I stand by my 'not worth £100 extra' although I'd not not buy a wheelset using them. If I'm building though its Revs!