Hope Hoops v Bontrager Rhythm Comps

brindlescoops
brindlescoops Posts: 464
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

My 2912 EX8 came with standard Bontrager Rhythm Comp Wheels as standard. Now, every man and his dog tells me I should be upgrading the wheels, but here's the thing. At 18 Stone I'm not exactly an easy ride for the wheels and the Standard Rims have so far eporformed faultlessly. I have narowed my options for repalcements to Hope Hoops with Flow Rims or Mavic Crossmax STs. I know loads of people have ahd issues eitht eh Mavid Hub Adjusters continually coming loose and also the pasrts take an age to coem, so I have pretty much settled on some Hope Hoops with Flow rims, as they are cheap, easily serviceable and should easily manage my ample frame, plus I can get a pair for under £300

But. . . . The benefits that keep being sold to me is lower weight / lower inertia, at 18 Stone, I know that weight is not a consideration, but lower inertia is a different matter. I also like the loud hub noise (the inner 5 year old coming out in me)

I may as well go tubeless if I make the move, but am I wasting my money as the websites I can find list the Bontys as 1855g a pair and the Hopes as 1874g???

http://bontrager.com/model/09770
My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Absolutely no point in swapping in my opinion, would be a waste of money for a potentially worse wheelset, and a heavier one at that.

Keep what you have and keep them well maintained.

Consider lighter tyres though.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Absolutely no point in swapping in my opinion, would be a waste of money for a potentially worse wheelset, and a heavier one at that.

Keep what you have and keep them well maintained.

Consider lighter tyres though.

Perfect - and the answer I was hoping for. Cant understand why so many people turn their nose up at them just because they are the stock wheels.

I run Nobby Nic Evos on them with tubes, but might go tubeless perhaps to see if I can tell any difference.

Cheers!

Cheers!
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • No input on the post but love the signature!
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Shylock wrote:
    No input on the post but love the signature!

Very much this ^^^
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • I was 115kg (so 18st something) when I came back to mountain biking. I ran (and continue to run) 32 spoke Mavic EN521 on Hope Hubs. I see you're in Hampshire, well mine were built by Joe at Solent Cycles in Fareham (he's now at Silverfish, the distributors) but speak to Mike or Andy or one of the other guys there and they'll help you out if you want some good advice and a very good, true, strong wheel built.

Oh, I run them tubeless now.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris