My 2013 Giant TCR Composite 3

dwanes
dwanes Posts: 954
edited October 2013 in Your road bikes
Hi all, here is my two week old 2013 Giant TCR Composite 3 road bike.
I’ve got back into road cycling after a 20 year lay-off since a Teen, and have been riding a Trek aluminium bike for the last 9 months.
Due to getting back into it so well I thought I would treat myself to an upgrade and one which fit better.

I felt I needed to go Carbon because otherwise I would have that Nagging feeling in the back of my head of ‘should I have gone carbon?’

I don’t have heaps of money in my budget and after a lot of research, wanted a ‘safe’ buy, and thought that is what Giant would give me. I got 10% discount at a local bike shop bringing it to around £1100, which I thought for a carbon framed bike was pretty competitive. I chose it over the cheaper 2012 model because this has a full carbon fork/steerer and I actually like the look of the Tiagra chainset

Anyway the bike:

Carbon frame and forks
Tiagra groupset
Giant Composite seatpost
Giant/ DT Swiss Wheels

Everything is standard except for the saddle which I replaced with a Madison Prime and I also got the LBS to swap over the cassette to an 11-25 from the original 12-28.
I have done around 100 miles on it so far and really pleased with it, handles great, is stiff when climbing but also comfortable when cruising, very little brake rub from the wheels and just as important I love the look/styling of it.

It is not a lightweight bike due to the components and standard wheels; I am guessing around 9kg, but will try to get a weight posted soon.

bike1.jpg

bike2.jpg

bike3.jpg

bike5.jpg

Comments

• Danny87
    Danny87 Posts: 121
    Yeah good choice.

Forget the components that bike looks cool. Excellent looking frame, I'm sure it rides as good as it looks!

Tiagra appears to be good value for money and I agree the Tiagra chainset looks nicer than the 105 chainset IMO.
  • TheoDR
    TheoDR Posts: 11
    Sweet looking bike!
  • Danny87 wrote:
    Yeah good choice.

Forget the components that bike looks cool. Excellent looking frame, I'm sure it rides as good as it looks!

Tiagra appears to be good value for money and I agree the Tiagra chainset looks nicer than the 105 chainset IMO.

im not too sure..... the frame looks sweet as!! but i am not convinced on the solid looking chainrings..... i like the look of a sparse chainring.... gives me the impression of less weight...... might just be me though...... :roll:
    It's a boy , It's a boy , I Shouted Running Into The Street With Tears Running Down My Face.....

That's The Last Time I Holiday In Thailand

URL Pinkbike
  • dwanes wrote:
    bike5.jpg

Blimey, chainring looks small there! What size is it?
  • dwanes
    It is just a standard Compact chainset 50/34. Funny, I had not noticed, it does look small from that angle. Maybe it’s because the bottom bracket area is so large, which is what I wanted to demonstrate in the photo.

The look of the Tiagra chainset does divide opinion. I like the solid look of it, in the same way I like the look of those Pro Rotor Q chainrings. I also like the matt finish of the chainrings, whereas others are more glossy.
    Although I bet it is the first thing to show signs of corrosion in a few years.

I will be giving it a weigh in tomorrow on calibrated scales. It won’t be a lightweight tho. :(
  • Looks nice!
    I felt I needed to go Carbon because otherwise I would have that Nagging feeling in the back of my head of ‘should I have gone carbon?’

Carbon doesn't always mean better; especially cheap carbon... Although generally speaking, they look nicer, so if you buy a bike depending on how much you like looking at it, carbon is usually always going to win; alloy frames can be as light (lighter) and as comfy

Either way, enjoy the new bike.
  • dwanes
    Thanks, Yes, that was the point I was trying to get across really, I would have been quite happy with Aluminium and agree there are better aluminium frames than carbon at my price range, I was close to putting my money on a De Rosa Milanino and would have been happy with it, BUT there would always have been that nagging feeling in the back of my head of “MAYBE I should have gone carbon, MAYBE carbon would have been better”.

Now that I have a carbon bike, next time it comes to buying a new bike I can feel at ease buying an Aluminium bike.

As for cheap carbon, that is why I chose Giant and this model, If anyone knows their onions (Carbon) it would be Giant. With their manufacturing and expertise I wouldn’t imagine they would produce a ‘Cheap’ carbon frame.

Apart from that, what is a ‘Cheap’ carbon frame and its downfalls? Is this something from years gone by and stuck or do they still exist? (serious question)
  • Yeah, I figured it would be "standard" compact. Oh and I prefer the finish on Tiagra to 105. Actually, I think I even prefer it to Dura Ace and Ultegra! Nice bike though, enjoy! :D
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    I'm biased, but that is a beauty.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • dwanes
    I have just weighed it, but the resolution of the scales were 0.5 kg increments and it weighed in at 9.0 kg so could be either side of that.
    So I will have to get hold of a set of more accurate scales from somewhere this weekend.

It is a M/L size frame, if anyone has already got a weight?
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Looks lovely. I've got a 2012 Comp 1 and I think I prefer the paint scheme of your bike.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Looks cracking. I've never really liked the look of Giants, but that frame is brilliant. They've done a great job with it.
  • dwanes
    Thanks nickel, I do like white bikes, and think this wont date to badly. I would love an ultegra groupset though!
    How have you found the wheels that came with yours? they are an upgrade from mine. I have some handbuilts that i may swap over for the stock wheels to see if there is any improvement.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Your garden is looking a bit mossy! Get green thumb in to sort that out!!

Oh...nearly forgot - nice bike by the way!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • dwanes
    Moss grows on everything round here that doesn't move, it must be the dampest part of britain, does my head in :x
    If I had my way I would tarmac it :idea: then build a mini velodrome on it. :D
  • Ben89
    Ben89 Posts: 1
    Good choice mate, I've just bought the same bike back from a trip to Taiwan, only cost £720 as I visited the factory. I've got it in black/blue, ill try to post some pics when I get a chance. Are you planning on changing the components?
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    nice one. 8)
  • dwanes
    Ben89 wrote:
    Good choice mate, I've just bought the same bike back from a trip to Taiwan, only cost £720 as I visited the factory. I've got it in black/blue, ill try to post some pics when I get a chance. Are you planning on changing the components?
    thanks, Over time i would like to upgrade to ultegra groupset, since my first post i have upgraded the wheels to handbuilts, ultegra hubs with mavic cxp33 rims using dt comp spokes, which are much stiffer and feel smoother. In fact i love em!

I still havent got round to weighing it, i have no scales, feels heavyish to me compared to a lot of other carbon bikes, but it is a fairly cheap price.

I look forward to seeing your new giant.
  • dwanes
    Forgot to say, i am now using new tyres, conti grand prix poly-x breakers, which i really like.
  • Vandiesel
    Vandiesel Posts: 506
    You have email 8)
    Giant TCR Composite 3
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    dwanes wrote:
    Thanks nickel, I do like white bikes, and think this wont date to badly. I would love an ultegra groupset though!
    How have you found the wheels that came with yours? they are an upgrade from mine. I have some handbuilts that i may swap over for the stock wheels to see if there is any improvement.

Sorry for the really slow reply, the wheels are decent enough, not super light but perfectly stiff enough for me (im only 60kg so wheel stiffness tends not to be much of an issue!). If I can afford to i'd really like to upgrade them this summer, either to some bling deep section carbon rims or more likely some nice lightweight shallow alloy wheels.
  • dwanes
    I have just weighed my bike and it comes in at 8.26kg (18.2 lb) without pedals and cages. So about what I expected with my new wheels on. Not a lightweight, but still it is 'only' a £1200 bike.
  • rickyrider
    rickyrider Posts: 294
    dwanes wrote:
    I have just weighed my bike and it comes in at 8.26kg (18.2 lb) without pedals and cages. So about what I expected with my new wheels on. Not a lightweight, but still it is 'only' a £1200 bike.

Nice bike! If you haven't already done it, change the saddle - it weighs a ton! I've got the 2012 comp 2 and the saddle was one of the first things I changed - must have saved about 200g then and there!
  • Vandiesel
    Vandiesel Posts: 506
    Updated pics a must please ;)
    Giant TCR Composite 3
  • dwanes
    This is my latest photo.
    Changes include:
    Saddle - Madison Prime, (Lighter) (and not huge like the Giant one)
    Chainset- Ultegra (Stiffer than Tiagra)
    Wheels - Handbuilt Mavic CXP33 on Ultegra hubs with DT Swiss Competition spokes.(fantastic wheelset)
    Tyres - Folding Conti GrandPrix PolyXbreakers (Reliable and roll nice)

bikel.jpg
  • gmacz
    gmacz Posts: 343
    Nice bike, how are you finding the racey setup of the bike.
  • BigTK
    BigTK Posts: 47
    Bought this bike too, about 2 weeks ago. Only difference is I have egg beater s on mine.
  • dwanes
    gmacz wrote:
    Nice bike, how are you finding the racey setup of the bike.
    No problem, When trying the bike out I just felt more comfortable on the TCR, vs the Defy, and suited my size/proportions.
    The good thing about a more racy geometry is that your weight tends to be better distributed between the saddle and the bars, so to me feels more comfortable.
    As far as frame size, I was between a Medium and Medium/Large. I went for the M/L so the drop between saddle and bars wouldn't be too bad and easier on the back.
    I do get aches and pains after about 50miles though, but this has more to do with my fitness and my body needing more longer distance training which I dont have much time for. My rides do tend to be full on speed though.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Vandiesel wrote:

yes
  • dwanes
    RideOnTime wrote:
    Vandiesel wrote:

yes
    The updated pic is above. :?