Lock breaking advice

CiB
CiB Posts: 6,098
edited December 2012 in Commuting chat
The Boy Blunder has done exactly what I warned him about and broken the key off in his bike D-lock, leaving it stranded at school. The lock is a Kryptonite Evolution Mini 7 sold by Evans, amongst others.

kryptonite-evolution-mini-7-lock-with-4-foot-kryptoflex-cable-combo.jpg

I've only glanced at it once, and that was enough to identify the key as having the torsional strength of a carrot stick. All suggestions for how to open it will be gratefully received. Bear in mind that it's at school so dynamite isn't an option; I can go there tomorrow to do the job.

Comments

• estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    spare key.....? might be able to pull out the key bit with glue / blu tack out of the barrel after that...

best option is angle grinder, a few mins.....

or a really good hacksaw with good quality blade (will take time....)

check with the school janitor for power to grind.....
  • Lefthook
    Lefthook Posts: 124
    How far is the school from a Fire Station. Ask them if for a case of beer they will come and cut it with their great big cut a car up like butter tools.

A mates Dad used to be a Fireman, they did this for a bloke who walked in and said his bike was just round the corner, only for 30 seconds after he had ridden off the real owner of the bike appeared a little bit pissed off.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    would a car jack inside the dlock pop it open?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    I'd agree about the angle grinder. If you do cut it cut close to the frame mounting clip so the rest of the U comes off, might make life a bit easier.
    A long shot but if you push the body of the lock against the U to take any tension off the mechanism you might be able to get what's left of the key to turn using some good needle point pliers if there's anything to get hold of. Or even using the broken off bit of key as an interference fit and force it round.
    More likely to need the angle grinder.
  • CiB
    Thanks for those. I'd got the long-nose pliers and the fishing out with blue tac idea in mind but these will do as back up. The Fire Station is about 3 minutes away so that might be an option, assuming the school are ok about it. It's the last day of term anyway so at worst it'll interrupt Years 7 - 11 hard day watching DVDs.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Normal approaches as mentioned above are: -
    co2 can to freeze then hit with a big hammer
    car jack in the u (although I imagine this can damage the frame
    bolt croppers
    pneumatic cutter
    angle grinder
    hack saw
    etc
    :)
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    jds_1981 wrote:
    bolt croppers
    pneumatic cutter
    angle grinder
    hack saw
    etc

I vote for hacksaw. But make sure to use the arm you don't use for pleasure, to even your guns out... y'know?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Pliers first and see if key blade comes out, hacksaw will take agese, angle grinder if there is power near.

My son's had his d-lock thrown away - he hadn't locked it one night at school, so the d section was chucked by some kids, just leaving the locking bar - great £35 down the drain.
  • jds_1981 wrote:
    bolt croppers
    pneumatic cutter
    angle grinder
    hack saw
    etc

Should we be worried you know so many options AND you start with "Normal approaches" ???? :shock:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • CiB wrote:
    <snip>
    I've only glanced at it once, and that was enough to identify the key as having the torsional strength of a carrot stick. All suggestions for how to open it will be gratefully received. Bear in mind that it's at school so dynamite isn't an option; I can go there tomorrow to do the job.

It's school. Dynamite is ALWAYS an option.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • CiB
    Should we be worried you know so many options AND you start with "Normal approaches" ???? :shock:
    It did occur that I was asking for tips on being a burglar, but this is a very London-centric forum so I assumed that as everybody in the Smoke has a bit of form for this sort of thing some useful tips would probably be forthcoming.

Like the CO2 idea - I bought a boxful in the summer so it'll be a good use of them.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    If you have a spare key, then an uncurled paperclip with a wee dab of superglue to extract the broken half is usually the weapon of choice.

However, if the key is still in the lock, it's done 90% of the opening already. Depending on how much of the key is left in the lock it might actually be pushing the pins into the right place (difficult to tell from googled images exactly which type of lock it is though) so all it might need is turning the broken key piece while it's still in the keyway. Sometime a flat-bladed screwdriver can be persuaded to assist here.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • CiB
    Resolved. The caretaker (who said janitor?) had a go with needle pliers but failed so has had the angle grinder to it and 'released the bicycle'.

That's good, means I don't have to waste my day off + the looming End Of Time tomorrow getting his bike unstuck.