New brake advice!

DanDax1990
DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
Looking at upgrading my Tektro Aurgia comp disc brakes, 180mm front and rear 160mm rotors.

What are my options? Would I benefit from bigger/better rotors? I.e 203mm front and 180mm rear?

The front brake is currently working ok... But it never last's for long until It needs some tinkering with to get working decent and the rear seems to be rubbish all the time lol.

Been looking at some brake sets, I'm on a budget by the way. Here are what I've seen for now (Not been looking for long)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=47543 - I could upgrade my rotors with this option.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=47542 - Same with this. But would I feel any benefit or would they be worse?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=67246 Seen these on bike-discount.de for a little bit less but also seen some cheap rotors and mounts on there which I would probably get.

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k495/a ... 6-set.html

Only thing is I'm not sure if it's front r/h lever - rear l/h lever or not? And if they're the other way... Would I be able to just swap the levers/hoses?

I'm such a n00b.

Also been offered some Shimano BR-M445 's for £20 which look in good condition.

Not wanting to spend over £100 for everything unless there is a bargain to be had.

Help needed! Cheers guys.

Comments

• DanDax1990
    Also... Proper nooby question... What adapters do I need?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    These, end of story. Current rotors will be fine.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=67246
    Any adapters needed depend what's there at the moment and the mounts on your bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    I'd stick with the local ones, you'll need to swap levers on the German ones. Only a few £ saving when you add postage in.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • DanDax1990
    The only problem I have with my current rotors is because of the design (I think) I can feel a knocking whilst breaking which I think is due to the wavey rotors?

Was thinking of some like these?

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... ldupoo9hl6

Also I'm still unsure about if I wanted to upgrade my front rotor to 203mm and rear to 180 what mount/adapters to buy?
  • cooldad
    Without knowing what bike, what you ride and what's on there at the moment it's impossible to say. Are your forks IS or post mount, same at the rear? Also some forks have bigger mounts - Magura Wotans for example have 203 std mounts.
    But unless you are doing serious gnarly steep stuff you don't need 203 up front, and no one needs bigger than 160 rear, IMHO.
    I'm no lightweight and manage fine with 160 each end.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • DanDax1990
    Ok mate just gonna go with new rotors at the same size then I think. 203 up front would be overkill for my light XC riding, You're right there lol. Cheers for the help.
  • cooldad
    As long as your current adapters are both post mount you'll just be able to swap everything over. Those Deores will be a lot more powerful anyway.
    You will probably have to shorten the hoses, so I'd get a bleed kit (cheap one off Ebay, not an official one), and the brakes don't come with the little yellow block to insert the spiky thing, so get one of those. And new olives and spiky things
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=1801
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Not sure if you can buy the yellow things seperately, don't need one but it makes life easier
    Yellow thing in pic
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=14854
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Just to let you know I ordered these brakes from CRC (they are great by the way). The front brake came with olive and spiky thing but no yellow blocks. The rear came with olive, spiky thing and yellow blocks (3 of them) so might be best to wait and see what arrives before buying any extras as it seems its a bit of a lottery :wink:

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • DanDax1990
    Cheers Myster! Can't wait to get them ordered tomorrow :)
  • Order them now mate :wink:

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I ordered a set of M596's from bike-discount.de that arrived today. Was swapping the hoses over earlier and shortening them and made a bit of a hash of it so a bleed kit is now on the way! :lol: But they came with spare olives/inserts, yellow hose blocks, a yellow bleed block and 2 red pad spacers. And i'll now have a bleed kit in reserve! They seem very well made with a nice short lever - I was replacing tektro aurigua comps too!
  • DanDax1990
    Ordered them first thing this morning from CRC, Can't wait!

They come with the spare olives and inserts according to the description but no bleed blocks. Maybe will come with them anyway. If not can get some from LBS I'm sure.

Plus I may take it to the LBS for the hoses shortening. If he's not busy may ask him to show me how to bleed them properly seems as I'm a noob with brakes.
  • I replaced Tektro Aurgia Comps as well, seems to be a popular upgrade.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • DanDax1990
    Next up, Sell my Auriga's and buy some new wheels (Superstar probably) Then sell my current wheels and should make enough money through selling my Auriga's and current wheels to pay for most of my new ones.
  • Greer_
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    Next up, Sell my Auriga's and buy some new wheels (Superstar probably) Then sell my current wheels and should make enough money through selling my Auriga's and current wheels to pay for most of my new ones.

Haha brilliant :lol: A set of crests on superstar switch hubs just arrived for me tonight, 1658g all in. You copying me?! :wink:
  • DanDax1990
    Maybe the Superstar XCX set, May try and wait out and save bit more for the Crests :D Then on to save for a new fork :)
  • Greer_
    Getting a new fork was the best upgrade I ever did. It made a huge difference! I'd be inclined to get a new fork before new wheels. Recon Gold Rl's can be had for £220ish and basic rebas for £250. My Recon Golds only have a TK damper but I got them for £180.

And looking at your sig now, the epicons aren't terrible for suntour, I upgraded from XCM's - they were shocking!
  • DanDax1990
    I'm really not sure which way to go haha
  • MDobs
    MDobs Posts: 167
    cooldad wrote:
    I'd stick with the local ones, you'll need to swap levers on the German ones. Only a few £ saving when you add postage in.

kind of disagree. you can get a pair of Formula RX brakes from bikediscount.de for 85 delivered, you won't need to switch them round as they're flip flop and you won't find them from any of the UK shops for that price, you'll pay more than that for one brake alone normally. also i've heard about Rose bikes doing 'UK' set up shimano brakes.
  • MDobs wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

kind of disagree. you can get a pair of Formula RX brakes from bikediscount.de for 85 delivered, you won't need to switch them round as they're flip flop and you won't find them from any of the UK shops for that price, you'll pay more than that for one brake alone normally. also i've heard about Rose bikes doing 'UK' set up shimano brakes.

The Formula yes. but where is the info on UK set up?
  • DanDax1990
    My brakes arrived today, I'm a bit fresh from after work drinks and was excited so I got the brakes on but not trimming to hoses yet. Well chuffed with how they look/feel.

I need more stella.
  • cooldad
    MDobs wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

If you say so. Discussion was about Shimano, and the difference after postage is less than a tenner. They are also Euro style, and if you think Rose will swap them for you, good luck.
    The fact that Rose don't actually have stock at the moment is academic.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools