which lunch £4-£5

Woodmonkey
Woodmonkey Posts: 412
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
i've got a bike and managed to choose it in a shop by looking at it, i feel i've missed my opportunity for a thread so thought i'd jump in now and ask for some advice.
pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    In that price bracket there are a lot of options, the big names are in your price bracket and you can get a deal from the likes of Boots, Tesco or Sainsbury's actually less than your budget. This will leave you additional funds for the accessories you require such as a Twix or even a Yorkie. Lunch from these guys ususally comes kitted out with kit from the likes of Evian and Pepsi as well, so well worth considering.

I presonally wouldn't consider second hand; you never know what you are getting.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    edited December 2012
    :roll:
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Surely you didn't have to open the thread to know what it was going to be? Better call the internet police.
  • querhoch
    querhoch Posts: 111
    If I were you I would wait until the end of the lunch season before deciding. You could get a decent slad box in Sainsbury's for your money at around 12-1pm, but by 4pm you might find its come down in price considerably, and you have effectivley lost anything up to £1.50

Alternatively, you could build your own lunch using components sourced from various retailers, but theres no guarantee that they'll match up and you could end up with a stylish baguette that totally clashes with a budget range scotch egg. The important thing to remember is to buy any hot drinks last. You don't want to go for a latte straight away only to find its gone out of fashion by the time youve plated up.

If possible, buy at a smaller family owned lunchery. You'll get a better service from people who've been making lunches for years are are lunchers themselves. They understand what it takes to make a good lunch and won't just sell you the tastiest thing on the shelf.

Good luck.
  • i have seen some good entry level lunches in magazines but haven't tried them out yet. i did see a bespoke lunch that was a little out of my pricerange, but came with mostly british made accesories.
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    edited December 2012
    Subway footlong for a fiver. Ignore the other posts, they are taking about bikes and bike shops and disguising it as food, don't be fooled :D:D

*editing it as I didn't read them first :?
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Depends, potentially a Boots meal deal, at £3.80 it leaves some money at the end for any upgrades. But if you live in or work near Camden, it should really be The Little Baker, next to the Halifax on Camden High Street is where it's at. Love that place, really miss living round the corner from them. So much choice, got me through exam revision seasons for the past couple of years.

Alternatively I'd go down the custom spec route as suggested and purchase the individual parts separately and build it yourself, much more satisfying too.
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    Central Cafe Cardiff, baguette with roast beef, roast pork, roast chicken, stuffin, fried onions, gravy and apple sauce £2.90 plus a Costa Rican dripper coffee in Coffee#1 next to it £2.10 and theres your fiver spent
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • querhoch
    querhoch Posts: 111
    Be wary of lunches that claim to be 'British Made' as its often the case that they use the same ingredients that cheaper Chinese lunches use, but they have been stickered differently due to a loophole in the poorly regulated snack market. If in doubt, go for the mid range Japanese sushima range. You really cant go wrong there.
  • JimboM
    JimboM Posts: 380
    I've got a lightly used BLT I could let you have cheap. It's less than a year old but isn't cosmeticaly the best (at least not now) Happy to let it go for £2, that will leave you £3 to tart it up a bit - slap a good dollop of mayo in there and it will be as good as new
    Cannondale Synapse 105
    Giant FCR3
    GT Avalanche 3.0
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I'll give you my half eaten 2 year old cup a soup for a mere £5 if you want. It was 60p new with £7.21 of upgrades including some Hope Soup Seasoning (RRP£4.50).
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    :roll: Please post links to lunches you have considered eating, or at least give us any idea of your tastes. :roll:

Or at least let us know how hungry you are....ffs
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • bennett_346
    :roll: Please post links to lunches you have considered eating, or at least give us any idea of your tastes. :roll:

Or at least let us know how hungry you are....ffs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4mP9pR-mzU
  • Have you considered using the lunching at work scheme? I got my lunch this way and it was partially subsidised by work (and don't forget the obvious tax benefits - no VAT when taking away).
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    It's important to choose the right fork when looking at your lunch... a poor fork can ruin the whole experience.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    sod the cheap lunch & go out for a working lunch on expenses
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    Up the budget about 79p and get a Wicked zinger tower meal, With gravy. Easy.
  • bennett_346
    I had some of the colonels secret seasoning in my mouth just yesterday.
  • I had some of the colonels secret seasoning in my mouth just yesterday.

:oops: :lol:

I could probably build you a lunch out of the spare parts in my fridge for about 3 quid, addon aquid for delivery and that will leave a quid to upgrade your bog standard water to a high end can of coke.
    Carrera Vulcan

..........................Meh.........................
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    Before you decide, make sure you read some of the threads on the the different plate diameters that various lunch makers are using.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • Not to mention the rise angle and width of the buttering device.
    Carrera Vulcan

..........................Meh.........................
  • If you look in the bins out back, I bet you could pick something up for free.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • If this is your first lunch, you'd be better off going rigid and building up your skills. Yep, second hand and rigid is the way to go.
  • Mark909
    Mark909 Posts: 456
    Only a hardcore lunch will do. Id expect a thall curry following by chillis and hot pepper sauce.
  • been offered a lunch only containing salad, but i think this is only for road use, i did see a commuter lunch but it was just a lot of mince!

voodoo hoodoo
  • bennett_346
    If you go for a salad, make sure you use the right volume and weight of oil on it.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    There's a load of nonsense written about salad, mostly be people who have never eaten it.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Have a look on Ebay for some bargains, although generally many of the lunches are overpriced on there due to sellers overvaluing them.
  • Mark909
    Mark909 Posts: 456
    You sub has to be a foot long. None of this half-sub buisiness
  • bennett_346
    Whoosh?