single chainring or 2

mogulkila
mogulkila Posts: 44
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
have been thinking for a while about taking the big ring off my cube and leaving just 2,but now i'm thinking i fancy the idea of a single chainring so i can do away with the front mech/cable /leavers etc...
the question is will i regret it :?:

Comments

• marz
    marz Posts: 130
    I've been running 1x10 for just over a year and love it. You will though have to fit a chain retention device to keep the chain on, unless you run the new Sram X11 set up.
    Where I live isn't that hilly and running a 34t chainring at the front on my 29er give's me low enough gear to climb everything. Only a couple of times have I missed having a bigger gear either in sprints or downhill.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends whether you ever use granny or not. Only you know that.
    And you'll still need a chain guide.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • was definately getting a chain guide ,as for using the granny i do use it but dont think i'd miss it
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So ride for a while without using it and then decide.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm about to swap to 1x9, I've done without the big ring for a long time and never used the granny, I thought I needed a little more gearing so swapped from 22/32 to 26/36 but then realised for the very very few times I needed taller gearing it wasn't worth the hassle.

As my riding often involves a lot of log crossings I use a bash so for a chainguide I'm using an inner ring (similar to the ones Raidium and BBG sell) rather than a 'front mech style' chain guide as it also keeps the chain on when back pedaling and looks neater (Opinion....) and weighs less than a Stinger which my daughter uses to perform the same task.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Love 1x10 personally, changed 2 years ago, not changing back. 36t ring for me, never felt it's a compromise, never had to walk a climb I think I'd have made with a smaller gear. Not for everyone though.