Another 456 carbon

lawman
lawman Posts: 6,868
edited June 2013 in Your mountain bikes
Actually had this for a few months now, just never got round to taking pictures :lol:

Was after a new hardtail to replace the aging Maxlight, felt stupidly steep compared to the HD so I started looking for a new frame to trade parts across. Was looking at the Stanton Slackline, but On One were chucking these out cheap and the weight weenie part of me was very much swayed by the mega light frame. All built up shes a shade under 24lbs with nukeproof flats, well pleased on how its turned out! :mrgreen:

IMG_0974.jpg

IMG_0975.jpg

IMG_0976.jpg

Most of the parts came off the XC120, the post and saddle are the old stuff from the HD. Fitted a Havoc bar and 55mm Haven stem, was seriously liking the carbon bars and haven stem on the HD so smacked a set on here too, likewise the SDG grips :)

Quick spec run down:

On One 456 carbon 18"
Rockshox Revelation race 140mm
Superstar switch EVO/Stan's Crest setup with tubes and 2.25 Nobby Nics
Xt 1x10 drivetrain - 11/36 and 33t E-13 guidering and XCX guide
XT m785 brakes
Easton Havoc 750mm bars and Haven 55mm stem, SDG Han solo grips

So far it rides great, nice and slack really stable and quite forgiving which surprised me. Next step is change tyres and pedals, ditch the Gobi for a Madison Flux like I now have on the HD, and it can be bloody noisy at times, tempted by a zee mech, but tbh its damn sweet as it :mrgreen:

Comments

• Very nice! Would be swayed towards this frame if i ever built a hardtail. 24lbs is pretty impressive too!
  • Love it. My soft spot for these builds is getting bigger all the time.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Very nice Ohhh carbon tempting to buy one of those frames looks good
  • lawman
    Quick update and will post some pics tomorrow :D Having gotten used to the now eerily silent HD with its shadow plus mech, some left over birthday monies and vouchers got myself a new Zee mech, and its made a huge difference! Even without a proper chainstay protector or velcro on its super quiet and I actually prefer the heavier lever feel from the extra resistance of the clutch, so super happy with that :mrgreen:

Also slung on a new, well old front, Pacestar Nobby Nic on the back as the old one was pretty much bald and useless time of year. Loving the bike so far and mega excited to nick the Reverb off the HD and get some spare DH tyres for next semester at uni! :D
  • lawman wrote:
    Quick update and will post some pics tomorrow :D Having gotten used to the now eerily silent HD with its shadow plus mech, some left over birthday monies and vouchers got myself a new Zee mech, and its made a huge difference! Even without a proper chainstay protector or velcro on its super quiet and I actually prefer the heavier lever feel from the extra resistance of the clutch, so super happy with that :mrgreen:

Also slung on a new, well old front, Pacestar Nobby Nic on the back as the old one was pretty much bald and useless time of year. Loving the bike so far and mega excited to nick the Reverb off the HD and get some spare DH tyres for next semester at uni! :D
    Looks good, I've got the XT Shadow+ mech for my C456 build, just need some bars (I mean I need to stop procrastinating)
  • lawman wrote:

Looks good, I've got the XT Shadow+ mech for my C456 build, just need some bars (I mean I need to stop procrastinating)

Will we see it completed before Christmas - delivery time is running out you know. Or is Father Christmas bringing you some bars? ;D

• lawman
    lawman wrote:

For bars look no further than Easton havocs, amazing shape, very well made and they feel great and can be had in alu form at a great price, one of my favourite products ever!
  • lawman wrote:
    lawman wrote:

For bars look no further than Easton havocs, amazing shape, very well made and they feel great and can be had in alu form at a great price, one of my favourite products ever!
    very good call, i have them on my Remedy and they are brilliant
  • lawman
    Got round to taking a few quick pictures tonight when I got in from work :) Shame it gets dark so early this time of year! :lol:

IMG_9857_zpsafd2f98e.jpg
    For some reason I don't seem to get on with the Gobi anymore, so once my next student loan payment goes in I'll probably get another Flux like the one on the HD, but considering its basically a Charge spoon I am very tempted to order a custom black and lime for the HD 8)

IMG_9853_zpsb4a0f4fd.jpg
    The zee mech looks awesome, will see just how much quieter it is this weekend.

IMG_9854_zps3c138b02.jpg
    Xt trail spds, commuting has been fun this week, so far I haven't forgotten to un-clip so I'm hoping there'll be no be silly falls on sunday :lol:

IMG_9847_zps1bdcc947.jpg
    A picture of both bikes, beauty and the beast as they may become known :lol: Interestingly the 456 is way longer than the HD, the wheelbase is nearly an inch longer despite the longer chainstays on the HD, BB height is about the same, the 456 is abit lower, but once sat on the bike the HD feels much lower. Still both awesome bikes and properly enjoy riding them :mrgreen:

The 456 will be getting a reverb soon, thanks to Bails87 selling me his old one, which will save a huge amount of faff swapping posts round between bikes :lol:
  • Anonymous
    When ya next student loan ya need more bling on it !
  • lawman
    When ya next student loan ya need more bling on it !

Loan is in already ;) This is the work-horse bike though, for days when it's really sh!t out and I can't be arsed with cleaning , very little bling for this i'm afraid!

It's now rocking some M530 trail pedals as the xt's are on the HD and its got a reverb too, I'll also be chucking the madison flux back on as I have a new one for the HD, not been getting on with the Gobi recently so its going in the classifieds.

Also got a selection of tyres for this now too, which I just got today from bike-discount, this will see alot of DH work over the coming weeks, and Nobby Nics just don't cut it, so I've got some 2.35 Muddy Marys in vertstar and pacestar compound, the feel pretty light tbh will weigh them in abit :) Also a Gatestar Nobby Nic like I have on the HD, they only had one, but I'll get another now they're in stock, along with some new shimano rotors too for abit more power.

Pretty pleased with it so far, its slacker than the HD but I may open the forks to 150mm and get it even slacker, and I'm mighty tempted to fit a works angleset too, 65 degree headangle anybody? :lol:
  • Anonymous
    C456 could do with sum parts
  • Anonymous
    Nice frame shame about the parts don't do it justice !
  • lawman
    :?:

How can the parts not do it justice?! Imo its pretty well specced for what its designed for, its well under 25lbs with a dropper seatpost and it's a great little bike!
  • Anonymous
    Can't take constructive critisuim but can view your opinions on other peeps rides mmmmm.
  • lawman
    There's a difference between parts doing a bike justice, and the owner doing the same for the bike... :wink:
  • Nice frame shame about the parts don't do it justice !

If the parts on this C456 don't do it justice then I've seen several builds recently which must be a bit pontless and waste of a frame - including mine ;D

And I'm all for a bit of banter but can we please, please, please do so using the correct spelling - jeez, what is citisuim? :D

• lawman

If the parts on this C456 don't do it justice then I've seen several builds recently which must be a bit pontless and waste of a frame - including mine ;D

And I'm all for a bit of banter but can we please, please, please do so using the correct spelling - jeez, what is citisuim? :D

Haha if some of the people here spent less money on bikes and used it to learn to spell properly it'd be a brighter place :lol:

Granted its not a flashy build but its my winter and mini-DH bike and does the job bloody well :)
  • Anonymous
    Keyboard warriors got to love them. As for spelling good old iPad.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651

Agreed
    Whilst XTR and the like is nice, it doesnt really add anything to the performance of the bike, especially if you only ride it on fireroads :wink: Dont even get me started on coloured pad retaining bolts
  • lawman
    Not being able to leave my bikes alone for very long, the 456 has a few treats too! :)

IMG_0796.jpg

IMG_0791.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg

Since the last update I've added a Reverb (cheers Bails87!) and some new rotors, as the superstar ones were starting to warp. I also got some lime green headset spacers, just to see what they looked like really, think they look pretty cool! :lol: I also slapped on the old Nobby Nics off the HD, but they've started to tear and some big old rips have started to appear, no idea why as they've hardly been ridden, so I'm sending them back to see what Schwalbe think, will probably replace with another pair of Hans Dampfs :) it's a fun little bike when I fancy a change and very convenient to have a bike at home when I come back from uni!

IMG_0785.jpg

One last pic of my fleet minus the road bike
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    They look sweet in the last pic. Good move leaving the road bike out ha
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Unless its another grey carbon with white and green? That might just justify it..
  • lawman
    Haha unfortunately it's not carbon or white or green, just my dads old Scott roadie I have occasional use of, although he's using it for time trials ATM, I hardly use it tbh!! Much prefer being out in hills and in the rough stuff :D