Andy Schleck Interview

LeicesterLad
LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
edited January 2013 in Pro race
CN: Looking ahead to 2013, what’s the one thing that keeps you going when you’re not racing and what’s the one goal?

AS: One thing is for sure, that I want to show people that I’m still here. That I’m still a good rider. I want to be in a race again and make a difference, to attack, maybe win the race. I have a lot of motivation. Every race I enter I want to do my best and I know I can do well. The first races will be really hard because I’ve missed a lot of races but what keeps me going is that I want to win races.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/video-exclusive-andy-schleck-interview

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Lunchtime reading sorted....thanks
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Well if I were Andy, I would have punched Bertie in the face for doping. But now Andy doesn't even see it as a clear positive!
    How is attacking someone who has dropped there chain worse than doping?
    Something to hide??
    No respect, listen to your dad Andy. Quit with your brother, cycling a different world now.
  • ddraver
    Meh...nothing there we ve not heard before...
    - @ddraver
  • An Andy Schleck interview - instant cure for insomnia
  • Must say though, I did like his 'I will never quit' if Frank gets a ban. His attitude seems a fair bit more positive. He wants to actually try and win something!
  • Of course Andy wants to win. Don't make him angry!

1413311.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    *sticks FF hat on* hope he comes back with some good form. Him versus Contador and Evans was great.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    He's a dork, but if he can sort his mentality out then he can still be the great rider that he's been threatening to be for so long. His LBL win proved that when he focusses properly and (literally) doesn't look back then he can achieve greatness.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • S'funny. He gets alot of stick on this forum, but you think back to his Liege and TdF Galibier wins and not just that he won them, but how he did, what's not to like? I hope he wins something big next year!
  • Maybe its the frustration over the way he wastes his talent. A lazy arse when it comes to training, only seems to give a stuff about the Tour, annoying beyond belief the way he wimpers without his brother...
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I liked him until he whined about riding down a hill. Then I thought he was a softlad. Or was it his brother?

Whatever you say about Evans and bertie - they can ride a bike down a hill.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • maddog 2 wrote:
    I liked him until he whined about riding down a hill. Then I thought he was a softlad. Or was it his brother?

It was Andy whining one day in last year's Tour, and Frank the next. Cringe.
  • maddog 2 wrote:

I think Wouter Weylandt's death had alot to do with that.
  • On_What
    On_What Posts: 516
    Either way he can't ride without looking backwards. Doesn't register as a GC contendor
  • On_What wrote:
    Either way he can't ride without looking backwards. Doesn't register as a GC contendor

Really? Despite having won the Tour in 2010. :?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    On_What wrote:

Tour de France winner doesn't register as contender? Tough crowd
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    S'funny. He gets alot of stick on this forum, but you think back to his Liege and TdF Galibier wins and not just that he won them, but how he did, what's not to like? I hope he wins something big next year!

Quite. When he wins he wins in style too.

Who was the last rider before him to have won a tour and a monument?
  • Who was the last rider before him to have won a tour and a monument?

Hinault? Or are we talking a GT then maybe Kelly?
  • Who was the last rider before him to have won a tour and a monument?

Hinault? Or are we talking a GT then maybe Kelly?

Or what about Riis? Is Amstel a monument? Probably not.
  • rick_chasey
    If it's GT it's Cunego but the tour I'm not sure about.
  • rick_chasey
    Point is, he's great.
  • Maybe Fignon. Won Tour in '84 and Milan San Remo in '89.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    If it's GT it's Cunego but the tour I'm not sure about.
    Valverde, Di Luca & Vino (now there's a reputable triptych) are all since Cunego, I believe
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • maddog 2 wrote:

It was Andy whining one day in last year's Tour, and Frank the next. Cringe.

It must be very hard with your brother in the race. There are lots of risks in this sport and I wouldnt underestimate the mental stress it would have on anyone.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Andy's attitude is not great, or at least it wasn't and his form was terribly inconsistent.

I hope this year's problems give him some real spirit and desire.

The guy has some serious talent, is an attacker of heart and his lack of tactical nous can lead to some reckless riding.

tumblr_ln1mcvtILD1qa3ggpo1_500.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • 270-RTR2NS3F.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    A stage racer who has never won a stage race.
  • Bakunin wrote:
    A stage racer who has never won a stage race.

Is the Tour de France not a stage race?
  • rick_chasey
    He's won the fleche de sud anyway.
  • ddraver
    You re not aware of Bakunin's Trollery are you Greased? I ve yet to see him write a full sentence yet...
    - @ddraver