MODS. Please make changes to help OUR forum

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Northwind wrote:
    LIAR :cry:
    Just wanted to make you feel wanted for a while.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • What an arsehole that mod is, at the end of the day the majority of us are readers of bike radar publications and if he chooses to BAN or even threaten members of this forum it's PR suicide. What an arsehole, ill stick my neck out and say what I think - should I get banned I will simply cancel all my subscriptions and go elsewhere. This mod has to be sacked as his erratic behaviour has dire consequences, especially on the Internet and social circles that exist in cycling where word of mouth spreads. To be called an idiot by someone I pay to either employ or have helped to be in that position really takes the biscuit. Please remove him from his position as mod, despite his rediculous post count that post should be as good as a resignation.

What a prat!
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    I would like to see him explain him self here...
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • Fevmeister wrote:
    What an arsehole that mod is, at the end of the day the majority of us are readers of bike radar publications and if he chooses to BAN or even threaten members of this forum it's PR suicide. What an arsehole, ill stick my neck out and say what I think - should I get banned I will simply cancel all my subscriptions and go elsewhere. This mod has to be sacked as his erratic behaviour has dire consequences, especially on the Internet and social circles that exist in cycling where word of mouth spreads. To be called an idiot by someone I pay to either employ or have helped to be in that position really takes the biscuit. Please remove him from his position as mod, despite his rediculous post count that post should be as good as a resignation.

What a prat!

I bet you have the daily mail delivered to your doorstep don't you?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Also liar!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Fevmeister wrote:
    What an arsehole that mod is, at the end of the day the majority of us are readers of bike radar publications and if he chooses to BAN or even threaten members of this forum it's PR suicide. What an arsehole, ill stick my neck out and say what I think - should I get banned I will simply cancel all my subscriptions and go elsewhere. This mod has to be sacked as his erratic behaviour has dire consequences, especially on the Internet and social circles that exist in cycling where word of mouth spreads. To be called an idiot by someone I pay to either employ or have helped to be in that position really takes the biscuit. Please remove him from his position as mod, despite his rediculous post count that post should be as good as a resignation.

What a prat!

Wow, you have some issues.
  • cooldad
    Busted twice. Very perceptive.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Northwind
    That's not true either is it.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Fevmeister wrote:

What a prat!

Wow, you have some issues.

Don't threaten and call your customers idiots. Simple
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    Whilst I don't consider myself a 'customer' as the forums are free as are articles on the website it does seem fairly bizarre behaviour to threaten banning people etc.

However BR does seem to take itself very seriously at times with lists of rules to adhere to. I suppose my view would be that moderating forums needs to be consistent and certain 'favourite' posters seem to get away with alsorts and other people appear to get told off for the slightest thing with rude messages...

Although having said that its only the Internet so none of it is real..!
  • The thing was, that mod didn't give anyone a chance to reply In the spam thread after threatening to ban us if we left another reply.

Good one.
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    I don't think a ban would have actually happened, personally I think they had a massive sense of humour failure! It's not as if they are personally paying for hosting (like some other forums)...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    tonye_n wrote:
    If you see a post that is spam or not correct all you need to do is report it then just do a simple post saying post reported and leave it at.

It seems to work all ok on other forums, to keep posting crap afterwards is pointless.

Good point that. I'll keep this in mind.
    DO NOT REPLY TO SPAM.

Just report it.

It anyone else reports it they get a message that it is reported. Replying to it just leaves more crud to be cleaned up post by post rather than automatically.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The humour thing could be how it was intended. If so, it failed massively!
  • cooldad
    Nope. You're right to feel paranoid.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Drumlin
    Drumlin Posts: 120
    Thing is its not OUR forum is it ? It's Bike Radar's, owned and operated by them for the sole purpose of promoting their mags. Their gaff, their rules.
    Would welcome company for Sat rides west/south of Edinburgh, up to 3 hrs, 16mph ish. Please PM me if interested/able to help.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I'm going to stick my neck out and defend him. Yes he is rude, usually always rude, but he has helped me out for absolutely no consideration whatsoever numerous times on bike workshop related issues. I think you have to take people as you find them personally. If it causes a load of work because people reply to spam, then taking an aggressive stance may be the only way he knows of "helping" people remember.

You may not like it, but my guess is it will be an effective approach.

I would also strongly advise people to watch the defamatory language.
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    This is all a bit of a storm in a tea cup isn't it? The rules are pretty simple and easily accessible in regards to replying to SPAM threads, they ask forum members to report the posts, not reply to them. This shouldn't create any debate on to how easy or hard it makes things if people post on spam threads, we should just respect their wishes. Nicklouses response was perhaps a little grumpy and direct, but it's nothing compared to what you read on some threads between forum members when debate gets heated.

The OP raises some valid issues RE the classifieds but some of the posts that follow are a little precious. Perhaps it stems from forum users feeling they are somehow customers of Bike Radar, we are not, regardless of mag subscriptions. Don't get me wrong, we are vital to Future as the larger the web audience, the more attractive we are to advertisers but to expect a mod to view us as customers is a bit of an ask :D
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Beatmaker wrote:
    Nicklouses response was perhaps a little grumpy and direct, but it's nothing compared to what you read on some threads between forum members when debate gets heated.

Well you know what they say 'if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen'.
  • binsted
    binsted Posts: 182
    Beatmaker wrote:
    Nicklouses response was perhaps a little grumpy and direct, but it's nothing compared to what you read on some threads between forum members when debate gets heated.

Well you know what they say 'if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen'.

He probably didn't mean it.

Time of his post = 11.38pm = probably fuelled by alcohol.
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    These kitchen people are posting all over. We have had them on our forum coming on with different usernames, every time they get deleted and banned but they just keep coming back!
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    That's the Welsh for you, tenacious.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Replying causes more spamming. The amount of replies doesnt effect the work needed to delete a thread.

If you reply to a spam post, the bot knows it's working so comes back and posts more spam. Deleting a singlle / multi-post thread takes just as long, but if you start replying then the bot will come back and create more threads, so more to delete.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    TheBiggles wrote:
    Replying causes more spamming. The amount of replies doesnt effect the work needed to delete a thread.

If you reply to a spam post, the bot knows it's working so comes back and posts more spam. Deleting a singlle / multi-post thread takes just as long, but if you start replying then the bot will come back and create more threads, so more to delete.

And this is precisely what Nicklouse should have said!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • isn't there a way to block the ip address rather than user name?
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Does it even matter? Just don't read the posts.
  • Northwind
    isn't there a way to block the ip address rather than user name?

Innocent bystanders.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • DrKJM
    DrKJM Posts: 271
    gezebo wrote:
    Whilst I don't consider myself a 'customer' as the forums are free as are articles on the website it does seem fairly bizarre behaviour to threaten banning people etc..

Whilst you are not handing over cold hard cash, they ain't free. You are paying with your patronage which they sell to advertisers. The more people visit, the more they get for ads.
  • cooldad
    Northwind wrote:
    isn't there a way to block the ip address rather than user name?

Innocent bystanders.
    Obviously not a Yank - they'd just call it collateral damage.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools