MODS. Please make changes to help OUR forum

Comments

• amaferanga wrote:
    I'm curious though - just how many people have actually been scammed recently? I know there's the Edge 500 scammer, but how many others have there been?

one is one too many
    Scott Addict R3
    Boardman CX 2014
  • tonye_n wrote:
    Minimum thread count before access to the 'classifieds' section is still the best place to start.
    I can't understand why BR seems reluctant to implement this.

A very good point.

BR implements a minimum post count before you can send PM's so why not ad's
    Hey, maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events, but we just got our asses kicked, pal!
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Flasher wrote:
    No, it's not harder at all, you just delete the whole thread along with the OP, anyone that's posted in the thread also gets their posts deleted so their post count goes down, If you delete/ban the OP then it leaves stupid looking threads that make no sense. It ain't rocket science!

Best ask a mod then and get them to clarify why they claim it makes their life more difficult.
    More problems but still living....
  • The forum obviously needs fixed if the MOD cant delete the whole thread by just removing the OP or banning the OP.
    Im a MOD on another forum and I delete/ban the first post, then the whole thread is gone.

As for minimum post count before seeing/ posting in the classifieds, while it might sound good, what about the people honest people who would rather read than post, its not really fair on them.
    I only have a few posts, but I have been reading posts on here for years.

Spammers/scammers are ALWAYS going to be there, just use some common sense when buying from everyone and if it sounds to good to be true, IT IS!

And yes, being a MOD can be a thankless task :(
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Forget spam, we now have a troll in the house - sheesh.

Report spam, don't add to it, simple and obvious if YOU THINK about it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    lightman wrote:
    And yes, being a MOD can be a thankless task :(

Amen to that mate. thankless task!
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Surely there is an irony of repeatedly posting this in different sections of the forums?
  • If you see a post that is spam or not correct all you need to do is report it then just do a simple post saying post reported and leave it at.

It seems to work all ok on other forums, to keep posting crap afterwards is pointless.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    We cannot stop all spam, just deal with it retrospectively.

It should be reported.

The Classifieds rules and tips are very clear. We can't vet people before they sell stuff. it is at the users risk if they buy, however, we do ban people that have failed to deliver.
  • ollie cb
    ollie cb Posts: 783
    I contacted a mod with my idea out a week ago after the garmin incident.

I suggested that people put a link to their feed back thread in their signature as i have done. Only the honest will do this and i feel the user feed back areas is under-used at the moment.

He told me it was an excellent idea but alas, nothing has happened about it.

But since i've done it, plenty of people have viewed my feed back thread so clearly people care!
  • amaferanga wrote:
    I'm curious though - just how many people have actually been scammed recently? I know there's the Edge 500 scammer, but how many others have there been?

isn't that enough too show that changes are needed? It's incredible how many scams are around this time of year when it's easy to take advantage.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Just as an aside, that same "kitchen" spammer has also posted to some other forums which I know to be tightly controlled. It would appear that the spammer is a "real" human posting the notes (as spam), but it isn't just an automated bot getting through.

Very, very difficult for mods to do anything other than react to the alerts which people can do by pressing the exclamation mark on the post.

My only suggestion might be that the picture of the exclamation mark could (perhaps) be updated to something which explicitly says "report this post for breaking the rules" or similar. Would be messy though.

Matt
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    There's a search facility which if you input the username into the box will list all of their posts and any feedback, this won't work for some people as a lot don't post a feedback after purchasing something.

The simple way is if you don't know the seller don't pay via PayPal Gift, pay only as standard PayPal and the seller will have to take the hit or direct bank transfer, might also be an idea if you get some form of ID from the seller showing their address.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Sorry the swear filter is working so feedback = F E E D B A C K :mrgreen:
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Indeed. If a poster has a number of post's you're unlikely to get scammed. If someone is selling something with one post I steer well clear OR cash on collection (in a public place). A number of people have brought from me and I from a number of people and I've/They've never had any issues.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    DavidJB wrote:
    Indeed. If a poster has a number of post's you're unlikely to get scammed. If someone is selling something with one post I steer well clear OR cash on collection (in a public place). A number of people have brought from me and I from a number of people and I've/They've never had any issues.

+1 btw. I think a 50 post minimum before being able to post here isn't unreasonable.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    DavidJB wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:

+1 btw. I think a 50 post minimum before being able to post here isn't unreasonable.

But you'll get a forum full of bolleux with people getting their post counts up.......
  • Wamas
    Wamas Posts: 256
    Just wondering, but if people felt that the reply from the Mod was offensive and out of order, did they report it?
    No one should be exempt from the rules, and one of them is not to be offensive.
  • I think for a start, this post itself needs moving to the correct discussion board, not the FS road parts section :!: :?:

Furthermore I agree with shutuplegs, that said, there are a number of other forums that use a similar policy as per the below:

•Are there any restrictions for posting a for sale add?
    In order to be allowed to post an add users (posting in the marketplace) must have a minimum of 30 posts. And users (posting in the marketplace) must be an active member of the board for a minimum of one month.
    - Posts by members that do not live up to these rules will be removed by the moderators.
    - If we find you spam posting the forums in order to increase post count you will get one warning. If we find you doing that a second time you will get banned for a period of time and lose your postcount up till then.

The above is perhaps valid, but then it's 'more' unpaid work for the Mods, so we've come back full circle :!: :?:

:lol:
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    If you see a post that is spam or not correct all you need to do is report it then just do a simple post saying post reported and leave it at.

It seems to work all ok on other forums, to keep posting crap afterwards is pointless.

Good point that. I'll keep this in mind.
  • Someone was having a hard day modding. All those buttons to press.....

Your a forum moderator not a schoolteacher/police officer (delete as you feel appropriate(if it's not too hard) )
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I reported a spam post and it was deleted by the mods. No fuss, no public posts, no ego massaging required. Just help them do their job and don't complain when it doesn't go your way sometimes.

Whisper it quietly, but forums ain't a democracy.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    To be honest I don't have anything against the MODS. They are doing the job because they want to do it

I'm doing it because it needs to be done, not because I particularily want to. It's a pain in the arse, if I had a pound for every person who's sent me whiny petulant emails, outraged that they got modded for breaking the rules, I'd have enough pounds to hire someone else to be a mod.

But you know- you're welcome.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Just read the so called post....what a joke.

Is it really that difficult to press a delete button? Why is this person a mod? Obviously they do not know what the job involves and surely banning someone causes more work than pressing a bleeding button.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Actively wanting to be a mod should disqualify you for life.

It's also an internet truth that threads calling on the mod's to act, almost always eventually require Modding.

HTH. :D
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Northwind wrote:
    To be honest I don't have anything against the MODS. They are doing the job because they want to do it

I'm doing it because it needs to be done, not because I particularily want to. It's a pain in the ars*, if I had a pound for every person who's sent me whiny petulant emails, outraged that they got modded for breaking the rules, I'd have enough pounds to hire someone else to be a mod.

But you know- you're welcome.
    Whiny petulant PM sent.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    LIAR :cry:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The interwebz police are coming, leg it!
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    I reported this thread almost straight away but it had already been reported. That was before it had any responses.

It would have made more sense just to delete the thread than to start threatening people with a ban.