A good BB92 bottom bracket

milko9000
milko9000 Posts: 533
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
Number d in a series of i.

I keep finding things that seem to think any BB that'll fit a 73mm shell will fit a BB92. And then other things that suggest maybe not. Very few bottom brackets expressly say "BB92 compatible" though, and the ones that do tend to be expensive. So, anyone recommend a good pressfit BB92 bottom bracket? I'd like it to be reliable, cheap and light, though I'm aware I'll only get two out of three in all likelihood.

Comments

• Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Best ones I have come across

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id258.html

I use the CH ceramic one
  • Ah, I did hear about them but forgot, so thanks. No way to get one from a UK distributor that I could find though? A little off-putting in case I get hit by customs, or are they under the threshold these days?
  • So... I bought my XT crankset. It came with a 'free' XT bottom bracket! Labelled SM-BB70. I still don't have the frame this is going onto, will this BB work for my BB92 frame, or not? Thanks and sorry for probably being dumb about this. I've read Shimano tech docs and forums all over the place and still don't know for sure. Going by Park Tools, it looks a bit like it... no, I just can't tell even to say that with any certainty.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    milko9000 wrote:
    Ah, I did hear about them but forgot, so thanks. No way to get one from a UK distributor that I could find though? A little off-putting in case I get hit by customs, or are they under the threshold these days?

Betd and CRC do them IIRC
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Can't find a BB on either, Betd seems to have some parts but that's all. So the XT won't fit? I'm not bothered about buying one right now if I've already got something. But there doesn't seem to be much out there that specifically says it'll do BB92 - Raceface, Enduro and some Chinese stuff on eBay. And Production Privee, so maybe I'll see if they can add that to my order.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Your questions are a bit confussing, if I read it right; a threaded BB will not fit into a press fit BB shell.

If you need a press fit BB The best ones I can suggest are the ones I previously mentioned.

Out of interest, which frame are you going for, Trek/Cannondale.
  • It's a production privee Shan. And I'm sure my questions are a bit confusing, because I am quite confused :-)
    I thought the BB70 was press-fit too but on actually looking at it I see there's threads.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    BB70 isn't a standard, it's a part number for a standard threaded XT bottom bracket. This will not fit in a frame that needs BB92, although there are adapters for BB30 frames.

You need a BB92 bottom bracket of which several have been mentioned. You cannot use the one you have.
  • Yeah got it now thanks. Another thing to sell, I guess. "Several" meaning about three in the whole world it looks like, it doesn't seem too popular a standard!
  • Ordered an Enduro one. Despatched very quick, I'm impressed with that bit. Now to wait a long time for it to arrive...