Comments

• Captainlip
    Captainlip Posts: 281
    edited December 2012
    New RXL
    MADONE 5.2
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Claimed weight or actual weight for those bars?
  • Actual, I couldnt resist them on the digital scales. :lol:

they do a lighter set the xxx bars for another £20 but I wasnt to bothered over another 30g
    MADONE 5.2
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Nice - I quite like the green

What size is it, just out of interest??

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Its a 54cm.

XXX stem will be here friday will post a picture then.
    MADONE 5.2
  • Nice new bars must be nice getting discount :(
  • M Velo
    M Velo Posts: 79
    Nice bike :)

Well I believe that relocating the brakes underneath the chainstay wont cause problem. The road muck will first hit the seat tube and a little will stick to the calipers. The problem will only arise when you want to adjust the brake or clean it and for that you need to flip the bike, other wise you should not have much problem.
    Custom build Trek MTB
    Madone 6.9 => Madone 7series
  • M Velo
    To me just relocating the brakes underneath the chainstay has not really improved the Aesthetics of the seat stay.
    Custom build Trek MTB
  • Maninder wrote:
    To me just relocating the brakes underneath the chainstay has not really improved the Aesthetics of the seat stay.

wasnt intended for aesthetics :wink:
    MADONE 5.2
  • Captainlip wrote:
    Maninder wrote:

I would say design was taken into consideration when relocating the bread brake set-up
  • M Velo
    Captainlip wrote:
    Maninder wrote:

I know that. It was basically to make the bike more aero. But trek also claimed that it made the rear portion of the bike more clean and beautiful.
    Custom build Trek MTB
  • Captainlip
    edited December 2012
    XXX Carbon
    MADONE 5.2
  • Rsys set would look good
  • Captainlip
    edited December 2012
    4 hours
    MADONE 5.2
  • For anyone interested Dura-ace inner and outter cables made a considerable improvement in shifting. I made sure the cables dont cross inside the frame.
    MADONE 5.2
  • Bigbud
    Bigbud Posts: 39
    Ahh a madone 5.2 or a Tarmac ? really like the look of the back end but like others I do worry that its just a gimmick and will be a pain later on.

http://s7d4.scene7.com/is/image/TrekBic ... iccEmbed=0

Demo both @ evans I hope :D
  • No issues cleaning or performance issues yet.
    MADONE 5.2
  • Drop that stem and cut the steerer man! 8)
    Looks wrong having that chunky headstock leading to a pidley bit of steerer :cry:

I think a set of Kysirium SLR's would look even better though! The darker wheelset might ground/settle it down abit. And the Exalith finish is something to be adored :oops: Also.. white hubs may be abit much imo.

Other than the steerer it looks quite nice sir!

Only problem ive seen with the brake placement so far was clearence with an older set of Campag record. Cleared by less than a mm.. ANY flex would have had that cable pinchbolt eating into the crankarm. We replaced the guys crankset for the newer style that steps out a little further. Obviously with ultratorq there is no snatching a extra mm with spacers like with spline fit shimano.

Was a right head scratcher for our mechanic!

For a while i thought the lack of brake bridge may have an effect of a kind of 'independant' stays that could help with traction? But im not much of an engineer. Aesthetics is the obvious advantage.

Anyway, lovely bike. Not my style of tubing. But im sure you love it!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Drop that stem and cut the steerer man! 8)
    Looks wrong having that chunky headstock leading to a pidley bit of steerer :cry:

Yeah, isn't Captainlip a silly idiot for setting the bike up to fit him rather than look good.........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mtbboy101 wrote:
    Nice, but is that a good place for a rear brake, what with winter coming along?

I have had the same bike for three months. Rode in nasty weather. Brakes work great in both wet and dry. Very easy to adjust. If you cannot adjust these, your should not be working on a bike anyways. Those people that claim they are a pain in the ass to adjust, I assume those who have not worked on them. Of course like with many other bike parts you need the right tools. A work stand makes life easier for sure. No issues with them getting dirty. I actually think they stay cleaner then my other bike in wet weather. They are farther round the wheel from where they would be when the mud is thrown from the rear wheel and they are tucked up enough to not get dirt from the front wheel. It really is a great design. Better then I expected when I purchased the bike.
  • Skeleton_Sharn
    Skeleton_Sharn Posts: 24
    edited December 2012
    Rolf F wrote:
    Drop that stem and cut the steerer man! 8)

Yeah, isn't Captainlip a silly idiot for setting the bike up to fit him rather than look good.........

Rule number 1; Look as cool as possible.

:mrgreen::|
  • Only kidding captainlip.. Just an aesthetic observation. If this is your fit, this is your fit. Do apologise.

But it is an aggressive frameset, and he was talking about putting Cosmic SLR's on it..

Not really a commuter bike is it. Anyway, enough on that subject. Looks great!
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Dont like it! It's not a Boardman and didnt that drug cheat Armstrong ride one? :)
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    tim wand wrote:
    Dont like it! It's not a Boardman and didnt that drug cheat Armstrong ride one? :)

:D

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.