David Walsh Live Discussion Stream....

Moomaloid
Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
edited December 2012 in Pro race
Did anyone see this tonight? I bloody forgot!! Anyone know if we'll be able to see it again?

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    It was very good, Walsh came across very well. He's an excellent and charming speaker.

I'm told they'll put the vid up on the original link later:

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/pub ... 171764.ece
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • "The Sunday Times chief sports writer spent 13 years battling to prove that Lance Armstrong was a drugs cheat"

.... whilst apparently not really giving a crap about what anyone else was up to.
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • rockmount wrote:
    "The Sunday Times chief sports writer spent 13 years battling to prove that Lance Armstrong was a drugs cheat"

.... whilst apparently not really giving a crap about what anyone else was up to.

It didn't matter how many little fish were caught, nothing changed, but now the big fish has been caught we might see some real change.

Walsh was right to hunt the big fish.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Could have also reported on the other cycling races.
  • Could have also reported on the other cycling races.

I'm on Walsh's side and have been all along, who's side are you on?
  • What the fark did you have for breakfast this morning, Trev? Some aggression-inducing steriods with your ready brek perhaps?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

Surely you mean Walsh is on your side, I'm sure he's a big fan of yours.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

What sides? What's the battle? And is this one of those deals where everyone on one side is 100% right all the time and can't be questioned and the other side is 100% wrong in every breath they take.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:

What sides? What's the battle? And is this one of those deals where everyone on one side is 100% right all the time and can't be questioned and the other side is 100% wrong in every breath they take.

The battle is against cheats like Armstrong who did his damndest to make sure 100% of the worlds population was unable to call him a cheat.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    RichN95 wrote:

The battle is against cheats like Armstrong who did his damndest to make sure 100% of the worlds population was unable to call him a cheat.
    Armstrong's gone. You need to move on. Walsh is only still fighting that battle because he's got a book out.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Quite. And actually not sure that of the '100% of the worlds population', the billions in China, India and Africa for starters were actually that arsed about Armstrong or any other doper. Could be wrong of course.
  • Quite. And actually not sure that of the '100% of the worlds population', the billions in China, India and Africa for starters were actually that arsed about Armstrong or any other doper. Could be wrong of course.

Armstrong is still a very rich free man. He aint gone yet.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Armstrong's gone. You need to move on. Walsh is only still fighting that battle because he's got a book out.

I don't need to do anything, it is Armstrong's bitches who want people to move on.

And who's side is this bloke on?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mcquaid ... of-cycling
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

d....dennis? :wink:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Quite. Not about sides. Walsh was right about Armstrong and so was Kimmage. Doesn't mean I should like them as journos unconditionally, nor does it mean I can't comment of the rest of their journalism.

It's not about sides. It's disingenuous and destructive to suggest otherwise.
  • tremayne
    tremayne Posts: 378
    The whole LA 'bust' finally came about because various people were prepared to stand up, be counted, and in many instances take the pretty horrific consequences of standing up to one of cyclings most powerful men. Walsh was one of those people and if the payback is listening to him preach for a year or so - thats fine with me.

Folks who want him to immediately get back under his stone "nothing to see here" are being exceptionally naive. There is plenty to see still, the matter is very far from over and probably won't even be wrapped up this time next year. Taking down LA will be messy, painful for cycling, painful for the Uci, and will most likely become a little boring by the time we get to the bitter end - which we haven't even caught sight of yet. Pro-Cycling continues to have its head in its ass - and the ongoing sight of (hopefully) an ever more pitiful LA, will be no bad thing.

I'm also pretty certain that the ongoing process with LA will bear further fruit relative to cyclings doping issues. Again - this can only help the sport in the long run.
  • ddraver
    It's disingenuous and destructive to suggest otherwise.

All the hallmarks of Mr the Rev...
    - @ddraver
  • tremayne wrote:
    The whole LA 'bust' finally came about because various people were prepared to stand up, be counted, and in many instances take the pretty horrific consequences of standing up to one of cyclings most powerful men. Walsh was one of those people and if the payback is listening to him preach for a year or so - thats fine with me.

Folks who want him to immediately get back under his stone "nothing to see here" are being exceptionally naive. There is plenty to see still, the matter is very far from over and probably won't even be wrapped up this time next year. Taking down LA will be messy, painful for cycling, painful for the Uci, and will most likely become a little boring by the time we get to the bitter end - which we haven't even caught sight of yet. Pro-Cycling continues to have its head in its ass - and the ongoing sight of (hopefully) an ever more pitiful LA, will be no bad thing.

I'm also pretty certain that the ongoing process with LA will bear further fruit relative to cyclings doping issues. Again - this can only help the sport in the long run.

Well said.

Cycling is full of people that deep down inside think we should keep all the cheating swept under the carpet. The sport is maggot ridden. Walsh & Kimmage spent years taking scum on when most were too chicken or in with the cheats to do anything about it. To start undermining them personally is disingenuous and destructive - mods on cycling forums should come to praise Walsh not try bury him.
  • tremayne
    tremayne wrote:

Well said.

Cycling is full of people that deep down inside think we should keep all the cheating swept under the carpet. The sport is maggot ridden. Walsh & Kimmage spent years taking scum on when most were too chicken or in with the cheats to do anything about it. To start undermining them personally is disingenuous and destructive - mods on cycling forums should come to praise Walsh not try bury him.

Totally agree. And its no surprise in the slightest that UCI are leading the 'lets sweep it under the carpet' process. Which ever side you stand on - you most likely aren't amazed by this fact. What does amaze me, is how many others (in some instances, so called 'fans of the sport') are also prepared to see this happen - and would rather witness a 'damage limitation exercise' - than have the nuts to squeeze this puss filled zit and allow a cleaner sport to grow in its place.

People need to put personal like or dislike behind them, man up a little, and accept that people like Walsh are actuallly helping facilitate a solution. A few quid (ok - lets be honest, thousands) may come their way. I'd rather see Walsh gain financially for writing prose, being honest, standing up to bullying - than cheats and liars become millionaires.
  • ddraver
    So if you re not 1000% behing Walsh and Kimmage then youre 1000% behing the UCI and Armstrong?

Riiiiight...
    - @ddraver
  • tremayne
    Never read anything by Walsh. SDS is not even on my christmas list. I follow his tweets but in truth have nowhere near enough information to decide what I think of the man.

Kimmage? I have his book and found it dreadful reading. Not the content (which now looks almost tame) but the actual writing, which was exceptionally poor. I follow his tweets, which I view as bordering on childish on occasion.

Collectively, they form a very small number of people (including LeMond + others) who can be undeniably accepted as having stood up to the might and power of cyclings godfather. This took some doing, and certainly in the case of Kimmage, I wouldn't even be surprised if he ran very close to a full breakdown.

These guys dont just deserve your support - they have earned it. Hard work, sleepless nights, tears, threats, law suits, etc.

Seriously. Ask yourself - as a fan - what the cock have you done that compares?
  • ddraver wrote:
    So if you re not 1000% behing Walsh and Kimmage then youre 1000% behing the UCI and Armstrong?

Riiiiight...

You can't be more than 100% for or against anything.

See Kimmage back in 2009 being laughed at here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZgns7CXeUI

See Armstrong with two of his bitches sat beside him. See some other well known cheats sitting stony faced. Not too keen to confess then were they?

I know who's side I'm on. Some people on here don't seem to be sure.
  • rick_chasey
    Why are you still going on about 'sides?'. It's not about sides.
  • ddraver
    Man this is like some weird Cycling McCartheyism....
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:

are you one of the Hollywood 10? And who's the equivalent of J Edgar Hoover? This is critical stuff
  • Why are you still going on about 'sides?'. It's not about sides.

People on the wrong side always say that.
  • yeah, well, anyways.....

good job on the interview and QQ&A, Mr Walsh
  • ddraver
    ddraver wrote:

are you one of the Hollywood 10? And who's the equivalent of J Edgar Hoover? This is critical stuff

Well clearly Trev is the Main dude, Chasey is the Prez, I'd like to claim CBS...we ll finish it off as people start getting involved...
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Well clearly Trev is the Main dude, Chasey is the Prez, I'd like to claim CBS...we ll finish it off as people start getting involved...

I was on Dashiell Hammett's side.

Will we be having all the sme arguments in another 5 years.

by Sean Yates » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:13 pm

Seattle
    Was i? i cant remember that. Its an ongoing problem in sport in general that the people in charge are trying to get under control. There will always be people in all walks of life who will try and take short cuts, thats a fact we have to live with. Slowly it will get harder to cheat and that will put people of. And teams will understand its not the way forward.
    Sean
    Sean Yates

• ddraver
    Ironic that youre now on McCarthy's side then...RR you are officially UnWalshian and must be incarcerated at the earliest opportunity!
    - @ddraver