What clinchers for the track?

Omar Little
Omar Little Posts: 2,010
edited January 2013 in Track
In the process of getting a few bits and pieces together before i get my track bike.

In terms of the tyres i'm looking for something nice, grippy and predictable for steep wooden banking, not too fussed about weight, puncture resistance or how aero it is.

Vittoria Diamante Pro Light can be picked up for fairly cheap are these any good? Or am i better off spending some more and going with Conti Supersonics or Vittoria Open Corsa Evo SC (actually are these even allowed they have different coloured sidewalls to the tread? I know Michelins and other dual compounds are banned). Or would you recommend something else instead?

Comments

• Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    Go with the Diamnte Pro Lights (also available as a Pista version without the puncture resistance) - they really are quite sublime on wooden tracks. Unless the Supersonics have been updated recently, the DPLs are far, far better.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Thats good to hear was expecting some drawback with the cheaper price
  • For a youth rider, using Diamonte PL, what would you recommend for inner tubes? or does it even matter?
    also, what pressures? she weighs 47kg.
    Thanks.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Best check with the velodrome as they tend not to allow clinchers at all. In fact Manc wont allow even taped tubs, they must be glued.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Jez! i hope not as all their hire bikes are on cls but maybe for racing its different?
    its Newport btw, so i ll have to check it up.
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    Best check with the velodrome as they tend not to allow clinchers at all. In fact Manc wont allow even taped tubs, they must be glued.

Where did you get that info from? I ride Manchester all the time (and occasionally race the regional league) on clinchers with Schwalbe Ultremo's and have never had any grief. In fact I remember (before they revamped the website) that they had a fairly extensive list of allowed tyres both clincher and tubs?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Obviously duff gen from a mate!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Richa1181 wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Where did you get that info from? I ride Manchester all the time (and occasionally race the regional league) on clinchers with Schwalbe Ultremo's and have never had any grief. In fact I remember (before they revamped the website) that they had a fairly extensive list of allowed tyres both clincher and tubs?

http://www2.nationalcyclingcentre.com/d ... cation.pdf

Cheers, Andy
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    If you can afford it then Veloflex Open Record with Conti Supersonic inners are as near to tubular as you will get. Diamante Pro are nice as are Conti Supersonic tyres. Always check your tyres before/after each session. If a clincher fails on the boards it can be dramatic apparently.
    M.Rushton