Centenary Flanders parcours revealed

blim
blim Posts: 333
edited December 2012 in Pro race
http://www.nieuwsblad.be/extra/rvv2013

Not had a chance to analyse it yet but first reaction is that it goes through Wevelgem for a south-westerly approach to the Vlaamse Ardennen, which is a bit unusual.
kop van de wedstrijd

Comments

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    i never realised what a mess the route is. how many times does it cross itself and do any of the crossing cover the same road ie in the sportive will you have to give way to back markers or those doing the long route?

is there a finishing circuit again? i'm going for the first time next year, can't wait!
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Man, Chasey, must be really busy in his new job - He'd be all over this usually!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    gsk82 wrote:
    i never realised what a mess the route is. how many times does it cross itself and do any of the crossing cover the same road ie in the sportive will you have to give way to back markers or those doing the long route?

is there a finishing circuit again? i'm going for the first time next year, can't wait!

It always did TBH.

Flemish Ardenne is pretty small and all those famous climbs we know are more or less on top of one another.

Don't think the change will be noticed by anyone apart from a few who's front door it passes or not. The loops look pretty identicle.
  • ddraver
    Hooray!!!!!
    - @ddraver
  • It always did TBH.

Not in 1913 it didn't! :wink:

IMG_6337_600.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    You can do the first ever Flanders route as a sportive this year I believe.
  • rick_chasey
    Barely related. http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/videozon ... /1.1502699

Before he got ill.

Oh, and wearing red trou.

I wonder who taught him that? ;).
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    So what's the verdict on the route? All bergs look more or less the same to me so I'm no judge.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    So what's the verdict on the route? All bergs look more or less the same to me so I'm no judge.

That really.

Basically the same.

Same loops, same hills in the part that matters in the same order.

A few left and rights changed here and there, as they do every year, but it's as near as makes no difference the same.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Final loops are exactly the same. Het Nieuwsblad is saying that the only changes are in the flat approach, which won't make a difference, and the addition of the relatively easy Tiegemberg as first climb.
  • Am I sensing some love for the new route? I thought everyone hated it!
  • rick_chasey
    Am I sensing some love for the new route? I thought everyone hated it!

No. You're not.

I hope this year's riders might be less intimidated by the parcours.
  • Didn't realise it was the centenary, might have to go and see it next year!
  • rick_chasey
    Still think it favours Canc.
  • I can't believe they didn't change last years route for the 100th anniversary edition. The route continues to be rubbish, they've turned one of the most iconic final sections (Muur, Bosberg) into a generic Flandrian race. It's a shadow of it's former self - to the point where I can't even be bothered to go and watch it again.
  • rick_chasey
    Good. A man with a good strong opinion on the parcours.

It's not great. I'll still watch it though!!
  • I can't believe they didn't change last years route for the 100th anniversary edition. The route continues to be rubbish, they've turned one of the most iconic final sections (Muur, Bosberg) into a generic Flandrian race. It's a shadow of it's former self - to the point where I can't even be bothered to go and watch it again.

Blimey, give it a chance. They have only run it with the new finish once! Wasn't the previous finish with the Kapelmuur and Bosberg introduced in the 70s? It's not like they have always used it. Anyway, I think the current finish circuit is great for spectators. Pick your spot on the Kwaremont, watch the men's and women's races go past, what's not to like?
  • ddraver
    Thought last year was great tbh - proper hardcore survival of the fittest...
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    Thought last year was great tbh - proper hardcore survival of the fittest...

Good. A man with a good strong opinion on the route! :wink:

(I'm not going to say parcours, it's the route!)
  • rick_chasey
    Flanders shouldn't be pure attrition. You have Roubaix for that. Flanders is / was / should be a strong marriage between head and legs.
  • ddraver
    Well I think it was that too (from Boonen). The two Italians were cr#p, but then Italians are always cr#p...
    - @ddraver
  • The problem with the old course was that the muur was too important. The new route is more balanced and unpredictable, but also harder which is a great combo. Made the riders pretty defensive last year, but now they've raced it once they might gamble a little more. Still, makes no difference if one rider is too dominant.
  • rick_chasey
    The problem with the old course was that the muur was too important. The new route is more balanced and unpredictable, but also harder which is a great combo. Made the riders pretty defensive last year, but now they've raced it once they might gamble a little more. Still, makes no difference if one rider is too dominant.

How often had the race been decided on the Muur though in the last 6 years?

I can think of two. Ballan in '07 and Canc in '10.
  • The problem with the old course was that the muur was too important. The new route is more balanced and unpredictable, but also harder which is a great combo. Made the riders pretty defensive last year, but now they've raced it once they might gamble a little more. Still, makes no difference if one rider is too dominant.

How often had the race been decided on the Muur though in the last 6 years?

I can think of two. Ballan in '07 and Canc in '10.

Dunno off hand, but I'm sure there have been other times when the race has been lost on the muur by rouleurs not getting a gap. RvV generally seemed to focus on the muur for me anyway. The new route doesn't really have a focus which should work pretty well.
  • How often had the race been decided on the Muur though in the last 6 years?

Err, why 6 years? Bit random, isn't it?