Avid Elixir 3, Superstar Rotors / Adapters

bonezy
bonezy Posts: 129
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Ok, please tell me if I'm being massively special here.

I've ditched the old 185mm G3 rotor in favour of something a little less noisy.
Superstar 180mm rotor received, along with PM/PM 180mm adapter. (Type 7 on Superstar's site).

I come to fit it and I cannot make it happen. It looks to me like the Avid CPS bolts are too long and as such, won't thread any further into the adapter. On the bottom, it touches the PM mount on the fork itself, again not right.

P1020055.jpg
P1020052.jpg
P1020054.jpg

Help me before I go totally insane. Incidentally I've just looked at the 180mm PM/PM avid mount which is totally different in shape;
75477-2.jpg

Any input welcome...

Comments

• You've got the wrong adaptor. I think you need a pm-is 180
  • bonezy
    My fork is certainly Post-Mount and so is my caliper; so I think I've got the correct adapter, it's just whether I'm making an error somewhere, or indeed if the adapter has to be Avid specific...
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    You've got the wrong adaptor. I think you need a pm-is 180

No, the PM>PM is fine. It's just a different variation on an adaptor that you have. Avid adaptors are designed to use the same bolts running through the adaptor and threading into the PM. The new adaptor just requires shorter bolts.
  • bonezy
    Hmm OK, so if I use the standard 160mm CPS bolts I should be OK?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so what is the problem? change the bolts and do it up.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bonezy
    They're in as far as they go Nick, the top will not turn any further and the bottom bolt hits the mount on the fork before it pinches up
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    see above.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bonezy
    Ah, sorry Nick, misread. I'll try it out and update
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Not the greatest picture but here's a 180 mm Superstar rotor with their PM/PM adaptor on my Rize:
    image3rv.jpg

The bolts are stainless M6 x 30 mm from Pro-bolt and they are slightly longer than the 27 mm Avid bolts (you can see the lower one goes right through the adaptor) but it fits as expected no problems.

The bolts you're using look too long
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    I'd throw that adapter in the bin - it is a stupid design - why the need for a separate set of bolts to hold adatper to fork then another set to bolt calliper to adatper?

the adapter in the photo spaces the calliper out from the fork - much neater and lighter, and would say slightly stronger too.
  • bonezy
    Agreed, the Avid style adapter is much more elegant and fits first time, no messing. Superstar one is in the bin and the Avid one is on. Thanks fellas
  • 02GF74 wrote:
    I'd throw that adapter in the bin - it is a stupid design - why the need for a separate set of bolts to hold adatper to fork then another set to bolt calliper to adatper?

The only reason Avid can do the design they do is because of the CPS washers.

For anything other than avid, it is:

1) not stupid
    2) functional
    bonezy wrote:
    Agreed, the Avid style adapter is much more elegant and fits first time, no messing. Superstar one is in the bin and the Avid one is on. Thanks fellas

You spent £10+ on the Avid adaptor instead of £2 on some bolts?
  • bonezy
    4 quid for the adapter
    :edit: Weird that the Avid adapter is designed well, given that the brakes are a little temperamental...
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    The only reason Avid can do the design they do is because of the CPS washers.
    For anything other than avid, it is:

1) not stupid
    2) functional

i have no idea what you are trying to say, I agree the superstars one is funcitonal but still a crap design IMO - all the adapter needs to do it move the calliper outwards like the example below, there is not need for the extra "arms", bolts etc:

img6797.jpg
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Fork may have larger sliders, or a larger caliper - doesn't all work. Same reason some PM fork to IS mount adaptors don't work.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    There are 3 different basic designs of 180mm PM to PM, Shimano also do a plain bolt through one, then there is the one with 2 extra bolts and different length legs as abobe and you can also get ones with 2 extra bolts and 2 similar length legs....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 02GF74 wrote:
    i have no idea what you are trying to say, I agree the superstars one is funcitonal but still a crap design IMO - all the adapter needs to do it move the calliper outwards like the example below, there is not need for the extra "arms", bolts etc:

img6797.jpg

And here your bolt heads aren't at the same angle as the calliper, so the Avid style adaptor isn't the appropriate one unless you have a conical washer (like Avids CPS) to take up the angle.

Which is why the superstar style design exists.