Spesh P1 morphes into Scott Genius RC20 - 22/03 update

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited September 2014 in Your mountain bikes
So the son has decided he wants an FS bike, currently riding a much modified Specialized P1 AM.

last night we picked up the frame for a bargain price (too embarressed to say what it was)
WP_000460-1.jpg
First step will be to give it a clean up, remove the shock and check all the pivots and touch in any stone chips and also paint over the tyre rub on the inside of the chainstays.
Thankfully the manuals are all still available from Scott.

We'll be sorting a shopping list soon and I'll also post some pics of the donor bike, but we'll be carrying over
1/ Bars and stem (Merida Mission X)
2/ Most the drivetrain (Octalink, X9 shifters, X7 rear mech)
3/ Fulcrum Red Metal5 wheels
4/ Conti MK tyres
4/ Tektro Auriga brakes (have to do for now)
All of that (except the crankset and BB) being upgrade parts on the Spesh anyway, although he's looking at having my Deore HT2 when it comes off after Christmas (thanks to Benpinnick!)

The Current manitou forks are 120mm and too short, so we'll be looking for some 140/150mm forks, if anyone knows what the stock headangle is we'd love to know so we can decide on fork length, he prefers a more relaxed front and as the MC's are nose heavy we are keen not to go too short (although the plethora of 130's are tempting)
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    don't know if this is of any help, but looks as if it was originally specced with 100mm forks http://kolo.cz/clanek/scott-genius-rc-20-2005 ...looking forward to seeing what you do with this :D
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    chez_m356 wrote:
    don't know if this is of any help, but looks as if it was originally specced with 100mm forks http://kolo.cz/clanek/scott-genius-rc-20-2005 ...looking forward to seeing what you do with this :D

The link you have posted is for the RC version.
    The MC on that website is listed as originally 130 travel
  • The Rookie
    edited December 2012
    Most MC20's were specced with Fox Float 32's with adjustable (100-120-140) travel.
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sco ... 6#features

As James prefers a more relaxed ride we're aiming for a minimum of 130, but contemporary reviews mention the short top tube and weight forward stance so we're aiming to keep travel up to counter that.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    leaflite wrote:
    chez_m356 wrote:

The link you have posted is for the RC version.
    The MC on that website is listed as originally 130 travel
    i know, but doesn't it say RC on the frame ? in yellow letters on the right hand side of the big white zero, unless its a trick of the light, was just going by what i "thought" i saw, just an honest mistake :)
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • The Rookie
    Whoops, the muck on the other side made the R look like an M, it is indeed an RC20!

Makes fork travel easier!
  • The Rookie
    So this is the Donor bike
    temporary-17.jpg
    I'd forgotten James had put the Michelins on it so they'll stay on the wheels for a bit!
    Compulsary in the Kitchen (OK Utility) photo
    temporary-18.jpg
    Having finally managed to get the seatpost out thanks to Sheldon Browns advice to use ammonia on Aluminium parts - much better than penetrating oil! - it also got the seized bearing cup out. Frame weight with just the shock/remote is an impresive 2328g.
    Bars and stem swapped over complete with the forks (we still need to fit the remote for the Genius), brakes bolted on loosely, wheels swapped over and rear mech bolted on.
    temporary-19.jpg
    temporary-21.jpg
    temporary-23.jpg
    The rather nice Scott headset was fubared so we've fitted one that came off a Carrera Banshee (that was bought to donate bits to the Spesh in the first place), bit heavier but I know from experience that they last forever!
    Only shortages are a cable guide for the bottom end of the downtube (zip ties arund a bottle cage bolt will do for now), the cable stop for the top (underside) of the downtube and an E-type front mech.
    The 180mm rear disc fouls the chainstay pivot so we'll be swapping to a 160mm (I have a few laying around), he's also fitting his Ti Railed SDG Fli saddle which we swapped to the Scott seatpost last night.
  • Headset spacers ahoy!

This is one of Scott's special pull-shocks I think? Seems to be a bit in the firing line for any gunk coming off the back wheel :(
  • The Rookie
    Yes there are a lot of spacers, he'll sort the bar height out he wants, we may leave them there as he's thinking of getting better forks soon anyway.

Yes it's a pull shock, it is right in front of the back wheel, but at least being a pull it exposes clean as you go through bumps not pushes crud into the seal! We're looking at getting something on there, but it's clearly fairly robust as it's unmarked!
  • The Rookie
    Update, E-type mech orered from CRC late on Friday evening, arrived yesterday, little point buying used when they are doing brand new XT for £12.99, we also have some carbon headset spacers so they will all match and a push in cable stop to convert a guide to a stop (Jagwire part).

So next job is to try and epoxy an M-part surface mount cable guide to the downtube with the Jagwire stop inserted and to fit the front mech!

Meanwhile the Spesh has been completely stripped so all the other parts needed are ready to go!
  • http://youtu.be/loLvBQ1Nb_Y

Me and my son morphed his GT Outpost into this Scott Reflex FX-25.
    Note;
    Direct fit XT front mech
    Bottom bracket an odd size difficult to source for some reason.
    The LCR rear pull shock just serviced, cost a packet but worth it as lock-out now working and my son destroying me on the climbs lol

Good luck with yours!
  • The Rookie
    Yes we just found the BB shell is 73mm so he'll be using my Deore HT2 as that is worth less than buying a new BB for his Octalink.
  • The Rookie
    OK, nearly done....
    20121231_184801.jpg
    20121231_184819.jpg
    Jagwire stop was a waste of time as no cable ends will go into it (not even Jagwires own!), so now we're sourcing a braze on stop to epoxy in place, right now the mech is out on the low stop to act as a chain guide while it's on the middle ring. First ride was good, suspension set up, feels very precise, almost no pedal bob yet soaks up lumps and bumps nicely!
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    looking good
    push in cable stop to convert a guide to a stop (Jagwire part).

So next job is to try and epoxy an M-part surface mount cable guide to the downtube with the Jagwire stop inserted and to fit the front mech!

what happened to the original stop? did the bike not have one or has it been removed for one reason or another?
  • The Rookie
    Not really sure, it wasn't on the frame when we bought it so I expect it got 'knocked' off, there is a rough patch in the surface where it would have been, there is no damage so the original was almost certainly only glued on as well.
  • The Rookie
    So stopped glued on, rear mech exchanged for an X0 he got from a workmate (who has even more bike spares than me!), front cable fitted and routed, all eady for a test ride!
    20130321_213542_zpsd4a5cd4a.jpg
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    That is one sexy Scott!! :D Easily the best looking Scott ive seen. I like the rear end especially, suspension looks pretty cool.
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    More pics!
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • The Rookie
    OK.....especially as it's now wearing Magura Durin forks!
  • The Rookie
    Final product, brakes are now some older Deores which are nicer than the Aurigas, forks replaced with some Magura Durin MD120 Marathons, staying at 120mm to relax the geo a little.

20130729_092740_zps13ce8783.jpg
    20130729_092746_zps2e4e4df4.jpg
  • Lewis A
    Very nice, your son is lucky!
  • The Rookie
    Sure is! Rides really nice, rear shock setup easily although the lockout isn't working (minor issue!)
  • Lewis A
    Doesn't need that anyway if he's using it for what it's meant for!
  • The Rookie
    Indeed not!
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    Nice build mate. I've got an MC30 that I built up from scratch, great to ride. Hope he's enjoying it.

PS, you got a link to the XT front mech for that price as I can't find it!

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • The Rookie
    CRC had them, none left now, but they have LX for £7.69 ot £9.99!
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    The Rookie wrote:
    CRC had them, none left now, but they have LX for £7.69 ot £9.99!

Yea already got an LX, was after an XT to match the rest of my stuff. Will keep an eye out for one.
    Cheers.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • Nice job!
  • The Rookie
    Thanks, ride is great, with a bit more light weighting it would be a great XC to light trail bike, since then we've gone to 1x and swapped the Deores for XT.