and another Cervelo R5

maxlite
maxlite Posts: 293
edited December 2012 in Your road bikes
Ride is so smooth but with this sort of weather its going to have to wait for spring for a decent ride

Frame: Cervelo R5
Forks: Cervelo
Bars: Pro Vibe 7S 40cm alloy compact
Stem: Pro Vibe 7S 11cm alloy
Headset: FSA 11/8 - 13/8
Bar Tape: Pro

Brake/Shifters: Ultegra 6600
Calipers: PlanetX Ultralight CNC

Cables: ilink Alligator
Front Mech: Ultegra 6600
Rear Mech: Ultegra 6700

Seat: Specialized Toupe ti
Seat Post: Pro Vibe 7S alloy
Seat Post Clamp: Cervelo

Cranks: Ultegra 6600 50/34 165
Chain: Ultegra 6700
Cassette: Ultegra 6700 12-28
Pedals: Ultegra 6600
Bottom Bracket: BB Right
Token chain catcher

Wheels: Real Design Ultrasphere
Rim: Real Design Ultrasphere
Spokes: Aero Sapim/20
Hub: Real Design Ultrasphere/Carbon, Alu
Tube: Maxis Ultralight
Tyre: Schwalbe Ultremo ZX
q/r: PlanetX stick carbon/ti

Accessories:
'Chinese' Carbon cages x 2

Weight: 6.9kg/15.2lbs

R5b.jpg
R51.jpg
Cervelo R5
Cinelli Saetta
Giant XTC
Raleigh Classic

Comments

• Hanners
    Hanners Posts: 260
    Drop the green tyres too much.
    What size is that looks a bit odd might be the angle?
    Great bike though
  • Looks V Small 48, maybe 51 ? for short legs, as there isn't much seat/bar drop and relatively long stem

not sure about the crank - presume thats in the upgrade list, can you retro fit back to BB30 ? - in that you must have an adaptor installed to fit the shimano.

bit of clash with orange frame savers on the other red anodised bits maybe ?

how do you find the cnc brakes - think I might be looking for a pair for xmas :)
  • maxlite
    Size 51, I've got short legs and long arms.....bit of a chimp!

Chainset is first for upgrade, bb is BBright for Shimano...dont mind orange bits, they came off previous build but will change when shifters are upgraded.
    Cervelo R5
    Cinelli Saetta
    Giant XTC
    Raleigh Classic
  • ed_j
    ed_j Posts: 335
    Lovely bike.

But I'm confused, why does your right hand shifter cable go to the left hand cable stop? Isn't your right hand shifter your rear mech?
  • maxlite
    Yeah I know its weird the way the cable runs, LBS set it up so cables cross under downtube, another thing to sort out when shifters are changed
    Cervelo R5
    Cinelli Saetta
    Giant XTC
    Raleigh Classic
  • maxlite
    PlanetX CNC brakes can be a real pain to set up and centre, SRAM Rival brakes on my Robaix are much better in many ways except weight!
    Cervelo R5
    Cinelli Saetta
    Giant XTC
    Raleigh Classic
  • maxlite
    Sheldon Brown on 'Criss Cross' cables

http://sheldonbrown.com/cables.html
    Cervelo R5
    Cinelli Saetta
    Giant XTC
    Raleigh Classic
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I absolutely love the 2011 Green Accents to the R5 and would have hunted one down if the 2012 R5 offer hadn't of come along at a bargain price.

Your frame is gorgeous.

I've heard about a few fractures to the 2011 Frames, have you heard anything?
  • maxlite
    Not heard much on R5, more about problems with R3's around bb area, then again both frames are very similar
    ....time will tell!
    Cervelo R5
    Cinelli Saetta
    Giant XTC
    Raleigh Classic
  • Bike looks nice but it would look a lot nicer if you binned the white hoods and went to Hudz black ones. The soft ones give an awesome feel.

Do NOT ditch the cross your heart rotuing, they give a much nicer cable run with less friction. You also use less cable that way so it's stiffer and lighter. I run them of my Cervelo and will post a picture if I can figure out how to transfer it from my camera.

Your saddle is also a little tilted down, do you like it like that?
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • maxlite
    Saddle tilt is tiny, I run Toupe's on both bikes but the newer saddle on the R5 has a slight lift at the back of saddle which gives it more of a downward look, the older version is completely flat top. Also have Criss Cross cables on my Robaix and shifting is brilliant.

Bike has not had a good long ride to sort bits out as its grim out there :cry:
    ....so its mtb rides and road with mudguards!
    Cervelo R5
    Cinelli Saetta
    Giant XTC
    Raleigh Classic
  • TheoDR
    TheoDR Posts: 11
    Nice bike there!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    like it!
  • Nice bike! Looking at one myself. Im struggling with which frame size to get as like yourself i have short legs. Im 175cm tall can i ask how tall you are and your opinion as an owner.
  • maxlite
    I'm about 4" smaller than you, if I'd had a choice I would have gone for a 48 cm frame, but as I was offered the frame for a reasonable price and top tube length was fine for me, I went for it.

Frame build quality is excellent and although I haven't really done many major ride's (due to weather) it seems smooth, stable and responsive.

You may find a 54 is more suitable, depends on what sort of top tube length you want
    Cervelo R5
    Cinelli Saetta
    Giant XTC
    Raleigh Classic
  • Good start with the frame! Very good move, I've seen some r5s online for great prices, may have to swap my r3 for one!