Cycle Chat Style Threads

kurako
kurako Posts: 1,098
edited December 2012 in Commuting chat
You know the type. Post a link to a video of an minor infraction by a motorist, splash it all over youtube and make loads of disparaging remarks about the occupants of the car in question.

Here's an example from the graveyard:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12791449

The comments on the vid are pretty purile. I notice a lot of names from cyclechat and a few who pop by here. I think it's pretty shameful.

On the thread I even get my old friend jeremyrundle makiing a 'hilarious' joke. So I'll throw it open to the forum.

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Its fine until they start blaming RLJers for the driver's behaviour ;)
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Zzzzzzz here, made worse by the fact that it's hard / impossible to watch Youtube vids in the office so they're meaningless anyway, threads that contain nothing more than a link and 'whaddya think of this then????' one-liner underneath.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I have read a bit of cyclechat stuff - I am afraid to say that I think that they take cycling and themselves far too seriously.

Not a forum I would use - I don't think my views are in line with some of long term members. I would just be trolling.

I have already made my views on the "Camera" brigade very clear!

1, Why?
    2, Why?
    3, Why?

After all, most of us are only going to work or cycling for leaisure - why be so vengeful and then claim that it is about road safety?!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    edited July 2011
    gtvlusso wrote:
    I have read a bit of cyclechat stuff - I am afraid to say that I think that they take cycling and themselves far too seriously.

Not a forum I would use - I don't think my views are in line with some of long term members. I would just be trolling.

1, Why?
    2, Why?
    3, Why?

After all, most of us are only going to work or cycling for leaisure - why be so vengeful and then claim that it is about road safety?!

I've just got a camera, I'm not going to be patrolling the streets and reporting every misdemeanour. It's pretty much an insurance policy, in the event that I'm involved in a collision/incident, I can prove what happened and hopefully (seeing as I always ride legally and carefully) protect myself in the event of some fibs from the other party involved.

Edit: I've got one of the cams that automatically deletes the oldest vids when the SD card is full, so assuming nothing happens I'll just get home, put it on charge and use it the next day. I don't even have to view the footage/connect to the computer to delete it. So I won't be posting the drivers who didn't indicate, or the people driving round with defective brake lights, it's not worth it. It is worth it in the case of that guy who punched the cyclist on the charity ride.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    gtvlusso wrote:

I thought you were a member of CycleChat, gtvlusso and posted under the username "gert_lush" ? Or am I confusing you with someone else who always appears to get a bit agitated when helmet camera threads appear on cycling fora?
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    Are cameras that good at providing evidence that you are blameless in the event of any traffic incident? My impression is that the field of view is far to restricted and the quality far too compromised for thier serious use in this way, and I will continue to consider any cyclist I see with one on his helmet to be out looking to be confrontational.

I will be happy to be proved wrong.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    I have a cam, but only download the footage when needed. In fact I use the cam more for field exercises with cadets than I do on the bike which shows how uneventful my commutes are.

As for the footage on you tube, my reaction to those guys is 'get a life and if you're in that many scrapes perhaps you should look at your style of riding as well as the motorists behaviour'
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Origamist
    Are cameras that good at providing evidence that you are blameless in the event of any traffic incident? My impression is that the field of view is far to restricted and the quality far too compromised for thier serious use in this way, and I will continue to consider any cyclist I see with one on his helmet to be out looking to be confrontational.

Cameras have different FOVs - mine has 170º ultra wide angle lens (at 720); others have considerably narrower FOVs.

Image quality also varies from cam to cam. I use a GoPro HD and record at 720/60fps - the quality is reasonable, but in low light sitautions the camera struggles.
  • gtvlusso
    Origamist wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

I thought you were a member of CycleChat, gtvlusso and posted under the username "gert_lush" ? Or am I confusing you with someone else who always appears to get a bit agitated when helmet camera threads appear on cycling fora?

I think you have the wrong dude - I have never posted on cyclechat and don't have a username for it.

There is a guy on here called "gert_lush"? Maybe him/her?

I have read a few threads on cyclechat though. As I said before, it is not really for me - seems a bit too serious.

On another note; I am not "anti-cams". What I don't like is when people post on youtube with car reg numbers and their perception of an "incident". Thats just my opinion....but it is up to whomever, I just disagree with it.

happy for people to cam away if it makes them feel safer, placebo by proxy?!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998

It can't hurt, can it?

Mine wasn't expensive, it sits unobtrusively on my helmet, as I said, I always ride legally and sensibly, so I'd like to think that the footage would corroborate my version of events.

If a motorist/ped/other cyclist went mental and punched me I'd rather have their picture and the incident recorded than not have it.

As for making me confrontational...I've been hit by a car once (not my fault, driver admitted full fault at the time, insurance company agreed, I didn't have a cam then) it wasn't fun and I don't want it to happen again. The fact I've got a cam isn't going to make me deliberately ride into dangerous situations, in fact, I'm aware that someone could potentially be looking back over what I'm doing, so it makes me less confrontational because I know my actions could be judged based on the footage rather than on my (skewed?) memory of them.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    As a disclaimer I have ridden around with a camera in the past and I see the point. You can review your riding and in the event of incidents see if there's anything you could do differently. I just found the whole editing and posting thing way too time consuming so I stopped bothering after a while. Sounds like bails has the right idea. Just try not to get too obsessive and don't take risks in the knowledge that the cam will prove you were in the 'right'.

In terms of vids the one in the graveyard thread drew my ire because there's really no need for all those nasty comments. All she did was edge out a bit too far and then flip off the guy who seemed to be trying to give a bit of instant driving instruction.

To add a bit of balance there is some decent capaigning in the other place but also a bit too much of the 'I hit a ped why did they not see me with all this high viz' or 'How dare that car make me tap my brakes' kind of stuff. I'm glad to seet the mental bloke on the electric bike got a good slating though.

Origamist, some of your instructional vids are really good. Gaz too although I know he's laid up at the moment after an off.
  • Origamist
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Origamist wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

I think you have the wrong dude - I have never posted on cyclechat and don't have a username for it.

I have read a few threads on cyclechat though. As I said before, it is not really for me - seems a bit too serious.

Apologies - what with the sub-20 10s, interest in steel bikes, Bristol connection and anger at car regs being posted, it must be your interweb doppelgänger and not a sock puppet... :wink:
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    I was going to post a video of a sign language conversation with a taxi driver this morning. It was bizarre. He was infront of me at some red lights, I was in primary, sitting right behind him in order to avoid being cut up on the junction.

Cue lots of arm waving and eyebrow jiggling in the rear-view mirror.

I didn't have a clue what it was about, but he happily sat there until about 3 cars behind me started blaring at him because the lights were green.

Odd.
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • gtvlusso
    Origamist wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Origamist wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

Apologies - what with the sub-20 10s, interest in steel bikes, Bristol connection and anger at car regs being posted, it must be your interweb doppelgänger and not a sock puppet... :wink:

I have a stalker!!! Just read on one thread - I only have 17 years of cycling and I don't train kids (That would be like letting a sponge cake do brain surgery!) - I have got one Sub 20 -10, I think it is official, but was not the best of the day....I have never done an etape either!

I think his anger is more at the OP's riding ability than the cam. I am not angry by default ;-s. I am just passionate!

Does sound like me though, must admit :-( What a pillock!
  • Origamist
    edited July 2011
    Kurako wrote:
    As a disclaimer I have ridden around with a camera in the past and I see the point. You can review your riding and in the event of incidents see if there's anything you could do differently. I just found the whole editing and posting thing way too time consuming so I stopped bothering after a while. Sounds like bails has the right idea. Just try not to get too obsessive and don't take risks in the knowledge that the cam will prove you were in the 'right'.

In terms of vids the one in the graveyard thread drew my ire because there's really no need for all those nasty comments. All she did was edge out a bit too far and then flip off the guy who seemed to be trying to give a bit of instant driving instruction.

To add a bit of balance there is some decent capaigning in the other place but also a bit too much of the 'I hit a ped why did they not see me with all this high viz' or 'How dare that car make me tap my brakes' kind of stuff. I'm glad to seet the mental bloke on the electric bike got a good slating though.

Origamist, some of your instructional vids are really good. Gaz too although I know he's laid up at the moment after an off.

I probably spend, on average, between 10-15 mins a week editing and uploading a video, which is pretty measly compared to the time I spend gibbering on various fora...

As for the vid, it's unedifying in many ways and a number of the comments are uncalled for/juvenile. However, the driving and attitude is unquestionably poor even if it is fairly routine stuff (NB: they are not wearing seatbelts either).
  • stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    bails87 wrote:
    It can't hurt, can it?

Mine wasn't expensive, it sits unobtrusively on my helmet, as I said, I always ride legally and sensibly, so I'd like to think that the footage would corroborate my version of events.

If a motorist/ped/other cyclist went mental and punched me I'd rather have their picture and the incident recorded than not have it.

I'm in the same boat, I've had my camera coming up to 2 months now. Over 2 years I've had a few offs and near misses and I'd like to think that the camera would have helped my side of the story had it needed to. As had been said as well, it is a good guide to go back over to see if you could have maybe positioned yourself differently at certain points of your ride. I've certainly found making myself 'bigger' is more apparent now I have the camera.

The vid in the OP example is of course what most of us see everyday, I doubt I'd post that up (maybe if they carried on pulling out and you smacked straight into the side of the car).
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Meh.

I have my camera for fun stuff and the odd bit of daftness / idiocy (and the VERY rare complaint)

I've sent more emails congratulating (private youtube links) than I have complaining. Oddly. I've never had an acknowledgement for the thank yous....

Plus - I got more laughs for the advice I gave the woman on the phone than I have for any other video - and THAT one did go to the Police.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,743
    For those who put cameras on their helmets;

presumably you're aware that it will (adversely) affect the way your helmet works?
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609

They are handy.

Even the cheap helmet cams that people use tend to be better quality than the likes of those that tend to be fitted to buses/coaches/delivery company vans/etc, and I've seen footage from those sort out plenty of disputes.

This is from a civil perspective, where the burden of proof is "balance of probabilities", mind.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Had a camera for about 3 weeks. Every time I looked at the footage of someone doing something silly in a car it scared the crap out of me. Don't use it any more.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    A lot of people post up the most boring videos, I've just switched off all of em now.

Sometimes I can't actually see the supposed infringement...
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Drysuitdiver
    Drysuitdiver Posts: 474
    a lot of people use you tube to provide a platform for roadsafe london to see any reportable action.

anybody not reporting abusive or threatening behaviuor is just encouraging the minority of tw@s in cars who think its fun to abuse cyclists or commit offences.

the farrier in Bexley who punched the cyclist for example. Caught because of a hemlet cam .

I ahve one on my MTB to see how i managed to fall off when I do.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    fairly sure a number of the Cycle Chat are from usenet, certainly simular black and white type arguments etc.

and as boring as ever.
  • centimani
    centimani Posts: 467
    Very regular CCer here, and TBF, 99% of the videos bore the pants off me. I rarely ever watch them.
    We ALL have our close calls, ive had mine, i'll have some more in the future, but i always say i'd rather put it down to experience, whatever, then move on and enjoy cycling. Certainly dont want to bog myself down viewing and reviwing every bloody mile of my rides (or anyone elses)
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    As a non camera carrier, I'm inclined to think that if drivers are lead to assume we all carry cameras and there are a couple of reasonably high profile cases of drivers getting done on the back of head cam footage it would be a good thing for cycling safety in general as it would warn them to behave better just in case.

Of course carrying a camera can turn a reasonable level headed velocopedestrian into a one man vigilante squad. Power corrupts even if it is all in their own head(cam).

Sadly the headcam comes into it's own only where it remains intact after a KSI level incident and no one wants to be involved in cyclist snuff videos but if it helps the other half and kids get a pay-off why not carry one.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    You know in the time since this thread was last posted in, you could have made, incubated, birthed and looked after a new born baby for a month.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Sorry for resurrecting an old thread once more, but I'm a regular CCer (9600 posts for my sins :oops: ), and quite frankly these days I hardly ever look at the 'Commuting' part of the forum (where most of the offending videos are posted) as I find it all a bit too depressing.

THAT SAID, some of the other bits of the forum are more my cup of tea such as the 'Cafe' part of the forum with all the bits of sillyness and humour they have on it, and besides, there is always a lively debate going on about something (usually Politics or the news stories of the day) in the 'Current Affairs And Debates' part - there are a few people on there who take things seriously, yes, but there are also some rather clever people on that forum, so things like the 'Current Affairs' bit is often actually worth looking at if you have the patience to read through huge discussions :lol:

As for it being boring? Well, a forum is only as exciting as the posts, so sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't, but hey, this forum will also be as dull as ditch water sometimes too, so its all relative really, isn't it? :roll:
  • gtvlusso
    Sorry for resurrecting an old thread once more, but I'm a regular CCer (9600 posts for my sins :oops: ), and quite frankly these days I hardly ever look at the 'Commuting' part of the forum (where most of the offending videos are posted) as I find it all a bit too depressing.

THAT SAID, some of the other bits of the forum are more my cup of tea such as the 'Cafe' part of the forum with all the bits of sillyness and humour they have on it, and besides, there is always a lively debate going on about something (usually Politics or the news stories of the day) in the 'Current Affairs And Debates' part - there are a few people on there who take things seriously, yes, but there are also some rather clever people on that forum, so things like the 'Current Affairs' bit is often actually worth looking at if you have the patience to read through huge discussions :lol:

As for it being boring? Well, a forum is only as exciting as the posts, so sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't, but hey, this forum will also be as dull as ditch water sometimes too, so its all relative really, isn't it? :roll:

Are you calling us thick? :shock:

:lol:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,704
    For those who put cameras on their helmets;

presumably you're aware that it will (adversely) affect the way your helmet works?

Some - Origamist for one - strap them to their bars rather than helmet.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition