Hope Vision batteries

father_jack
father_jack Posts: 3,509
edited December 2013 in Commuting general
Does anyone make third party replacement batteries for Hope lights? The official ones are too expensive around £75.
Say... That's a nice bike..
Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Nope don't think so, had to get a replacement myself, used facewest:

http://www.facewest.co.uk/Hope-Vision-S ... -Cell.html
  • father_jack
    That's the two cell version, mine's the 4 cell.

Just too much, I can get a new set of cree lights for £30.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Just buy one of the four cell 8.4v bricks for most of the Cree chinese lights and stick the hope connector on it if different. The wiring should be the same unless the hope has more than two.
  • father_jack
    Doing a search looks like 7.4v
  • Ouija
    Doing a search looks like 7.4v

7.4v and 8.4v packs are the same. It's down to how some people calculate it. The packs are made up of Li-Ion 18650 battery cells that are 3.7v output wired in 2 series, 2 parallel configuration which doubles the voltage to 7.4v. However, in reality the batteries are 4.2v when fully charged and drop down to 2.9v when drained but battery manufacturers always quote the voltage when the batteries in the middle of it's range (AA batteries are actually 1.9v and drain to 1v, for instance). So the packs that state 8.4v are just quoting the max voltage the pack outputs when fully charged and the ones that state 7.4v are quoting the voltage in the middle of it's drain cycle.
  • father_jack
    What type of connectors are these?

I could buy a ready made pack and replace the connector (or ask for that type to be fitted)

j2tdd.jpg
    ndris.jpg
  • Ouija
    What type of connectors are these?

I could buy a ready made pack and replace the connector (or ask for that type to be fitted)

j2tdd.jpg
    ndris.jpg

Looks like a 5.5mm outer by 2.1 or 2.5mm inner DC connector. The Cree battery packs that you can pick up for £12 use 5.5mm by 2.1mm. However, you can buy 2.5 to 2.1 converter plugs if the jack socket on the light has a 2.5mm hole in it's center.

In fact, it might be worth buying the adaptor first and trying it out on your lights. If the lights jack socket fits snuggly into the back of the adaptor without it sliding off too easily then you know it's got a 2.5mm hole and needs the adaptor. If it's not a stiff connection then it's a 2.1mm hole and will work directly with the Cree stuff.

Alternatively, try and stick the pointy end of the adaptor into your battery pack. If it won't go then it's expecting a wider 2.5mm hole (which also tells us the hole in your lights jack socket is 2.5mm and you'll need the adaptor for the cree battery pack to work).
  • father_jack
    Right it's got to the point cabling needs replacing. Perhaps I could use EC 5 connctors?

Replace charger connctor
    Replace light cable, terminated with EC5
    Replace battery cable, terminated with EC5
    Build another pack up, again EC5

Do the packs have PCM protection? Doing a google search for 18650 holders and some have protection circuits on the holder.

Something like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10000mAh-7-4V ... 2a356cc508
  • father_jack
    concerned that ready made packs don't have protection circuits...need to find out if the hope battery pack has protection, or if it's built into the charger. Believe having two would trip charging circuit early.
  • Ouija
    Never seen a ready made Chinese pack that didn't have a protection circuit (got eleven). Most chargers too as they don't assume the battery is going to have one. Doesn't really matter which one trips first as they are both set to trip at the same voltage. A bigger problem is balancing.
  • am I being naive / dumb suggesting that you open up the Hope battery pack and replace the cells inside?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter