Richmond Park, roundabouts and that f*cking Dynamo

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited December 2012 in Commuting chat
I had to drive to work today. Went through Richmond Park as surrounding areas were traffic laden.

As I entered Richmond Park (entrance from Roehamptom) there's a rounabout. At the roundabout there is a car at the line on my right and bikes approaching the line on my left. The car goes straight so I've entered the roundabout to go straight and the bikes, who are still approaching, should be slowing to stop.

Do they f*ck. I'm now in the middle of the roundabout, I'm on their right, and they enter pass straight in front of me and turn left (the same exit as me).

Two things:

1. Because i ride a bike i know that they are Dynamos and i know what they're doing so i was prepared for dickish behaviour. I couldnt help feel that they could quite easily have been wiped out by a driver not in the know.

2. None said thank you when I gave way. I may not be so kind next time.

'The war goes on....'
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    'Londoners Act Like Cocks On Road Shocker'
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    I had to drive to work today. Went through Richmond Park as surrounding areas were traffic laden.

As I entered Richmond Park (entrance from Roehamptom) there's a rounabout. At the roundabout there is a car at the line on my right and bikes approaching the line on my left. The car goes straight so I've entered the roundabout to go straight and the bikes, who are still approaching, should be slowing to stop.

Do they f*ck. I'm now in the middle of the roundabout, I'm on their right, and they enter pass straight in front of me and turn left (the same exit as me).

Two things:

1. Because i ride a bike i know that they are Dynamos and i know what they're doing so i was prepared for dickish behaviour. I couldnt help feel that they could quite easily have been wiped out by a driver not in the know.

'The war goes on....'

Email them, and CC the royal parks you'll get a reply, or should do.

They replyd promptly when I emailed my displeasure at one of theirs riding into me on a clear and bar myself empty road.

They will not change their ways unless they are embarrised into doing so.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I've emailed them twice; once when one used my car as a leaning post at a junction and another when a group turned right across traffic going straight on from a left turn only lane.

I never got a response from them.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    GOURANGA
  • Asprilla wrote:
    I've emailed them twice; once when one used my car as a leaning post at a junction and another when a group turned right across traffic going straight on from a left turn only lane.

I never got a response from them.

Just the dynamos? I CC'd the royal parks since well to embarrise them. Prompt reply!
  • asprilla
    Unfortunately neither events were in Richmond Park.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Two things:

'The war goes on....'

Grumblebum
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    That reminds me, I must get my drains cleaned out.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Ironic, complaining about there being a lot of traffic while being part of it.

Quite a lot of grumbling too, what is the world coming to.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,230
    I always hear the imperial march in my head when the dynamo guys start looming.

More importantly, why were you driving in Richmond park?

Get on your bike ;).
  • DonDaddyD
    Nice delete of my post...

I was driving as I had to go to work and needed to take a lot of equipment with me.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rick_chasey
    cimg6219.jpg

20110608125552.jpg

;)
  • cookdn
    cookdn Posts: 410
    What's a Dynamo and why should I care?
    London Dynamo Cycling Club
    Boardman CX Team
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    so this is something that happens in one city in the entire world, whatever next :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • rick_chasey
    Paul E & DDD.

If I delete any more of your posts in this thread I'm locking it.

No need to make it personal. You disagree. Fine. If you don't like the premise of the thread, don't comment on it. If you don't like what someone says, fine, but don't call them names.

If you see something that breaks the rules, report it. Don't then reply to it.
  • Paul E
    Now that's tempting
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    coriordan wrote:
    GOURANGA

I shouldn't have laughed, but I did.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    I have to carry a lot of equipment with me every day, I just wear supportive underwear. If you need a car you's got problems.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • have a search around the net you'll find most the e-mail addresses of their management committee, if you really want a response, cc in their sponsors.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    @DDD

Grow up.

Dynamo use a park for 2 hours on Saturday mornings. All locals know this. It allows hundreds of local people to enjoy cycling at an energetic pace in the relative safety of the park, without the public nuisance (perhaps) of having that size of group out on the roads. It is a highly active and visible cycling club and therefore is a great asset for the sport.

At weekends, the Dynamo does highly organised chaingang work at various speeds; groups of 8 start at 1-2 minute intervals, starting with the fastest group, and with a complete beginners' group starting last of all. Before each session, the group leaders speak to the club as a whole to remind them of safety and community points and to point out any specific issues that might affect that morning's ride. All club members are fully supportive of this and do their best to adhere to the advice provided.

Whilst the park is relatively quiet, it is not without traffic, including cars, peds and other bikes. A relatively inexperienced group, traveling at the speed they do in those circumstances, is bound to make the odd judgmental error. Do you really think that publicly criticising the club as a whole, in a public forum, and referring to them as "that f*cking dynamo" is a sensible reaction, in all the circumstances? Do you support recreational cycling or do you want to support those who wish to discredit the sport? Just think about what you are doing.

As for the suggestion of contacting the club's sponsors, well, if you really want to take money out of the already under-resourced sport, then that's a great way to go about it.
  • asprilla
    Sorry Vermin, but I'm (and this is weird) with DDD on this one.

Ploughing through a roundabout with traffic on it is a massive error of judgement and should be reported. Dynamo make a great play of being a responsible club but I'm yet to see any evidence of it.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • vermin
    Asprilla wrote:

Ploughing through a roundabout with traffic on it is a massive error of judgement and should be reported. Dynamo make a great play of being a responsible club but I'm yet to see any evidence of it.

Then report the incident to the club committee. Why set out to publicly destroy the name and funding of the club? :roll:
  • asprilla
    vermin wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Then report the incident to the club committee. Why set out to publicly destroy the name and funding of the club? :roll:

As I've mentioned, I've done that before and just got radio silence in return. What would be the point in doing it again?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • vermin
    edited December 2012
    Asprilla wrote:
    vermin wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

As I've mentioned, I've done that before and just got radio silence in return. What would be the point in doing it again?

Then quietly raise the issue with a friendly 'mo, and see if that makes a difference.

This public naming and shaming is just too rich; there are circumstances where it might be appropriate (see Cav's tweet for discussion), but does that include where a group of cyclists makes a mistake at a roundabout?

I'm not going to defend the club committee if it fails to respond to a report of an incident made through the appropriate channel, but I can assure you that in the pre-ride briefings, such reports are relayed to the riders, together with advice on how to avoid the same thing happening in the future. The club, as far as I can see, takes these matters seriously and does its best to fit in around other park users.
  • Paul E
    Asprilla wrote:

It's only one side of the story too, how do we know the driving was perfect?????? Because we all know drivers are perfect when it comes to judging speed and road positioning when coming upto roundabouts.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I'm conflicted.
    I hate the Dynamos, but I also hate people who use the park as a cut through to avoid the traffic.
    exercise.png
  • This incident took place on Saturday morning, right?

Dynamos certainly used to have "through and off" 3 lap sessions in RP on Saturday morning.

They don't like slowing down, much less stopping when they're doing those.

Pretty much the only circs I can think of when it would be appropriate to do what they did is when there is a left only filter lane at the roundabout, separated from the rest of the traffic on the roundabout by chevrons. Like you get at motorway junctions. Not so much in RP.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • vermin
    This incident took place on Saturday morning, right?

Dynamos certainly used to have "through and off" 3 lap sessions in RP on Saturday morning.

They don't like slowing down, much less stopping when they're doing those.

Pretty much the only circs I can think of when it would be appropriate to do what they did is when there is a left only filter lane at the roundabout, separated from the rest of the traffic on the roundabout by chevrons. Like you get at motorway junctions. Not so much in RP.

It's 4 laps
  • DonDaddyD
    vermin wrote:
    @DDD

Grow up.
    So you are advocating cyclists ignore the rules of the road?

vermin wrote:
    Then report the incident to the club committee. Why set out to publicly destroy the name and funding of the club?
    Who is setting out to 'publicly destroy the name and funding of a club?' Talk about sensationalising one post, which in a week will probably drop off the page.

Why should I consider the damage my post might cause to the reputation of their club? Why should I be responsible for this?

Surely they should be responsible for their actions that directly correlate to upholding said reputation. Perhaps they shouldn't ride in such an agressive and dangerous way?
    The Stone wrote:
    I hate the Dynamos, but I also hate people who use the park as a cut through to avoid the traffic.
    Whether you disagree or agree with vehicular access to the park is not the issue here. The fact is that the park is accessible by motorised vehicles and all road users should adhere to the rules of the roads.
    Food Chain number = 4