Mt zoom light weight clamp. Clamping issue

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited December 2012 in MTB general
As above I've bought one of these of XC racer the light weight version 5.5 grams
image-50.jpg
looks well made however having an issue trying to clamp on bolt secure but not enough to secure the seat post.
Not wanting to over tighten just in case it snaps or rounds the bolt.

Anyone else had issues with there's ?

Comments

• It is Aluminium, and the frame is aluminium. Toten it properly, I have over tightened plenty of times and it ended up fine.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    buy a proper one that works and isn't stupidly light to the point you're worried if you tighten it it'll snap :roll:
  • Anonymous
    It is Aluminium, and the frame is aluminium. Toten it properly, I have over tightened plenty of times and it ended up fine.

Tried again this time ended up rounding the ti bolt and it still didn't secure the seat post.

Why sell a clamp if it don't work ?

Sending back for refund. Back on the hope clamp.
  • Anonymous
    lawman wrote:
    buy a proper one that works and isn't stupidly light to the point you're worried if you tighten it it'll snap :roll:

More worried about the bolt rounding off.. And guess it did just spent the last 45 mins using a Torq bolt trying to get the thing out :evil:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Hoooooooooooooooooo Boy..............
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    edited December 2012
    cooldad wrote:
    Hoooooooooooooooooo Boy..............

Threaders is an understatement more bothered about this.
    image-49.jpg

Got the bolt of in the end. Spoke to xc racer
  • minley1
    minley1 Posts: 126

How bout one of these?
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I'm not even gonna comment for fear someone will get extremely offended.
  • Anonymous
    minley1 wrote:

How bout one of these?

Got plenty of them.
  • Anonymous

I don't hold a grudge buddy :wink:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't worry, the whooooooooooooosh is strong with this one.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    As above I've bought one of these of XC racer the light weight version 5.5 grams. Anyone else had issues with there's ?
    As it happens I've got one of these on the Rize - not that a few g makes any difference :) - and it works very well. I like the way it's almost invisible and the only issue I had with it was that the bolt didn't stay tight at first but a smear of blue Loctite fixed it.

IIRC it says 5 Nm on the clamp which is pretty much standard for that size bolt.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Mine's been fine too, although there was talk of including a steel bolt, so you may not be the first to have issues with the ti one.
  • Anonymous
    .blitz wrote:
    As above I've bought one of these of XC racer the light weight version 5.5 grams. Anyone else had issues with there's ?
    As it happens I've got one of these on the Rize - not that a few g makes any difference :) - and it works very well. I like the way it's almost invisible and the only issue I had with it was that the bolt didn't stay tight at first but a smear of blue Loctite fixed it.

IIRC it says 5 Nm on the clamp which is pretty much standard for that size bolt.

Mine doesn't have a nm Torq size on there but in the end I garthed it on to the point the thing would snap.
    Still didn't work that's with both bolts.

I've sent back to Xc racer for there other version better clamp the 9.8 gram version
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The actual wrap around clamp section is distorted by the bolt tension to create the clamping force, the thinner the wrap part, the more easily it distrorts giving BETTER clamping.....make the clamp beefty enough and you'd never clamp the seatpost (logical really).

Suspect your issue was more to do with doing up the bolt than the wrap around clamp section.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I've sent back to Xc racer for there other version better clamp the 9.8 gram version
    Have got one of those as well. Carbon post in an ally frame. Again no probs very discrete. A smear of carbon assembly paste helps reduce the clamping force.

There are some little 5g sachets on Chain Reaction http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=39481
  • Anonymous
    The actual wrap around clamp section is distorted by the bolt tension to create the clamping force, the thinner the wrap part, the more easily it distrorts giving BETTER clamping.....make the clamp beefty enough and you'd never clamp the seatpost (logical really).

Suspect your issue was more to do with doing up the bolt than the wrap around clamp section.

Yeah issue not with the clamp but the bolt not tightening up enough.
  • Anonymous
    .blitz wrote:
    Have got one of those as well. Carbon post in an ally frame. Again no probs very discrete. A smear of carbon assembly paste helps reduce the clamping force.

There are some little 5g sachets on Chain Reaction http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=39481

Yeah using that already buddy .

Clamp sent back now for the other version Xc racer has no issues exchanging the item.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    If you have fitted a lightweight alloy seatpost clamp with a Ti bolt and a carbon fibre seatpost, you may find that even when done up tightly and with carbon paste, the post still slips. :twisted:

You can tighten the bolt further but there is risk of either snapping the bolt, rounding off the hex head, stripping the thread in the clamp, or crushing the seatpost.

Having had this problem, looking at the clamp it is clear that as the clamp is tightened, the clamp ends are getting bent so the gap between then is not longer parallel. The force applied is bending the clamp instead of applying it to the seat tube and post.

To over come this, I have fitted a 0.5 mm washer in the gap so the ends of the clamp are no longer being bent and the force is bringing the ends nearest the seat tube together thus applying it to the seat tube. Obviously the thickness of the washer has to be chosen so that it does not prevent the clamp from being tightened. :thumbup: (it also prevent the clamp from being over tightened)

The photo shows that the gap is almost parallel, there is a slight gap between the washer and the clamp nearest the seat tube - if the washer was not there, then ends furthest away from the seat tube would be would be almost touching.
  • Anonymous
    Cheers buddy,
    For the info, however got a refund now so staying with the slightly heavier hope clamp.

By the way is that a kcnc clamp
  • I have one of the Zoom clamps, I did indeed round off the Ti bolt but a replacement has been fine. Using it on a carbon post in an alloy tube with carbon paste and have zero slippage. Don't get near the 5nm my Ritchey Torque Key can put into it.

Was a bit annoying that I rounded the bolt off on assembling the bike in Pau the day before the Etape, post slipped straight down, so rode to the expo standing for about 4 miles. Luckily the Mavic service people sorted me out with a proper bolt and all was well and good. I would not bother with the Ti bolt.