SPD shoes / pedals

Burt25
Burt25 Posts: 117
edited December 2012 in Road beginners
I've just bought some Shimano a520 touring style pedals which I aim to pair up with some shimano MTB shoes. I've received a pair of M088 shoes which I ordered online from Chain reaction, but I noticed form the shoe instructions that it says that the shoes should not be used with SPD road pedals.- I thought you could use any SPD shoe with any SPD pedal? Am I wrong?

Also could someone advise on fit - as a runner I am used to having loads of room between my big toe and the end of the shoe. I have ordered a 1/2 size bigger than I normally wear to compensate for the small fitting of the Shimano shoes, but my toes are only 1cm or so the end of the shoe - would I be better going another 1/2 size up?

Comments

• schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    It means the shoes shouldn't be used with SPD-SL pedals which have a different cleat.

I think shoes should be a snug fit but not a tight fit. Your feet will start to swell after a couple of hours and you need some space to stop your feet going numb. There's no impact with cycling so the foot doesn't move in the show like with running, the 1/2 cm you have will be enough. Saying that, Shimano shoes are small.
  • Burt25
    Burt25 Posts: 117
    schweiz wrote:
    It means the shoes shouldn't be used with SPD-SL pedals which have a different cleat.

I think shoes should be a snug fit but not a tight fit. Your feet will start to swell after a couple of hours and you need some space to stop your feet going numb. There's no impact with cycling so the foot doesn't move in the show like with running, the 1/2 cm you have will be enough. Saying that, Shimano shoes are small.

This is what enclosed instructions says- "these SPD shoes cannot be used with SPD/SPD-R/SPD-SL pedals for road cycling"??
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    I understand why SPD-SL and SPD-R are a problem but can't see why SPD touring pedals wouldn't be compatible. Hold the pedal up to the sole of the shoe to make sure the tread profile on the shoe doesn't interfere with the pedal and you'll be okay!