pedal reflectors

alidaf
alidaf Posts: 147
edited December 2012 in Commuting general
The legal requirement on pedal reflectors has always concerned me and with another topic currently highlighting terms in the regulations such as "Must" and "Should", I thought I'd have another look. I noticed that while there is a requirement on pedal reflectors concerning position, angle and colour, there is no requirement on size. I thought this was a bit lacking but I suppose it is covered by the fact that the reflector must be plainly visible. Then again, surely 'plainly visible' is subjective.

My position on pedal reflectors is that I try to mitigate the fact that I have clipless pedals by wearing overshoes with reflective piping. The reflective material is the wrong colour, and possibly not on the leading or trailing edge but it is much more visible from a range of angles than standard pedal reflectors. I also go a bit overboard on lights - one on the seat post, one on each seat stay, and one on my rucksack. Surely it is about time that someone took up the mantle and get this strange little law updated so a significant proportion of us aren't criminalised. The only people that benefit from the letter of this law (and not the spirit that I believe it was intended) are the vehicle drivers that have their damages reduced due to the 'contributory negligence' of the cyclist (victim).

The other question is....why amber? My thought (possibly misguided) is that on most vehicles, amber reflectives are to give an indication of size (width when on the rear and length when on the sides) and not strictly to make the vehicle more visible. The reason I have lights on the seat stays is it gives the impression that my bike is much wider and generally have noticed vehicles giving a much wider berth when overtaking. I still get idiots doing idiotic things but there is definitely a general improvement. But this damned law still has me spending countless hours fretting.

Comments

• I assume they're amber because they can be front or rear facing so can't be white or red.

I reckon a reflective slap-band around the ankle is the most effective if pedal reflectors proper aren't possible. Some SPD shoes have generous sized reflectives on the heel too, for example this one .. https://www.dzrshoes.com/midnight

There are quite a few clipless pedals available with reflectors. http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/pedals-mtb-c ... g1/#page=2
  • I have some black reflective tape on the sides of my spd pedals. I haven't even checked to see if its visible, or covered by my shoes when clicked in, but its there. I also have the reflective strip on the back of my overshoes, and a high viz reflective slap band around my ankle.

plus front/rear/helmet/backpack lights, high viz backpack cover etc.

Ive had had convos with a few coppers in their vans at traffic lights and they have mentioned my lights, but have never mentioned anything about a lack of pedal reflectives.

I guess its less of a issue if your lit up well.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've never heard of anyone being criminalized for their pedal reflectors or lack of. So no need to change the law ?

They are excellent for visibility if fitted.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I've never heard of anyone being criminalized for their pedal reflectors or lack of

I did once. A guy ran over and seriously injured or killed a girl on the pavement in broad daylight. The prosecution mentioned that his expensive road bike wasn't legal due to the lack of pedal reflectors, a tiny legal point in the scheme of that case but it was raised.

I run M520s on my commuter with the plug in Shimano reflectors.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • I did once. A guy ran over and seriously injured or killed a girl on the pavement in broad daylight. The prosecution mentioned that his expensive road bike wasn't legal due to the lack of pedal reflectors, a tiny legal point in the scheme of that case but it was raised.

Surely you can only contravene RVLR during the hours of darkness?
    You are also required to have a rear red reflector.
    And a BS6102 sticker, stuck on.

Seriously though, I spoke to a Policeman about this very subject - and although not a Judge he assured me that reflective sections on your shoes/overshoes could be considered.

Also, rear panniers mostly obstruct the view of pedal-reflectors :-(
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc