Pasteys Sabbath 5th Element Ti hardtail W I P.

Comments

• pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    So here she is all finished off at last :D I've fitted the silver braided Goodridge hoses, all black rocket rons and a fancy cnc'd bashguard from the states along with some black alloy presta valve caps. My mission was to make a stealthy purposeful hardtail with no red anodised components on it. extremely pleased with how its all turned out finally.
    Final spec
    Frame: Sabbath Fifth Element Ti 18"
    Forks: Fox Float 32 RLC 15mm thru 150mm travel
    Bars: Easton Haven carbon
    Stem: Easton Haven Mag/Blk
    Headset: Syncros Fr chromo
    Grips: Lizard Skins Charger lock ons
    Bar Ends: Gizmo cnc

Front Brake Lever assy: Magura Marta SL carbon
    Front Caliper: Magura Marta SL
    Front disc: Shimano 6 bolt floating 203mm
    Rear Brake Lever assy: Magura Marta SL carbon
    Rear Caliper: Magura Marta SL
    Rear Disc: Shimano 6 bolt floating
    Hoses: Goodridge silver braided

Shifters: Shimano Deore XT m780 10spd
    Cables: Combination of Jagwire/Clarks/Goodridge inc Middleburn oilers
    Front Mech: Shimano Deore XT m780 10spd
    Rear Mech: Shimano Deore XT M780 10 spd

Seat: Charge Knife Ti
    Seat Post: Gravity Dropper Turbo 4" drop
    Seat Post Clamp: X-Lite Cnc

Cranks: Shimano Deore XT M780
    Chainring(s): Shimano Deore XT 22/32
    Chain: Clarks SL 10 spd self lube
    Cassette: Shimano SLX HG81 11/36
    Pedals: Shimano XTR M970 clipless
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano XTR M970

Front Wheel:
    Rim: Mavic Crosstrail UST
    Spokes: Mavic stainless steel bladed straight pull
    Hub: Mavic Crosstrail 15mm thru axle 6 bolt
    Tube: N/A
    Tire: Schwalbe Rocket Ron UST 2.25" inc Stans Fluid

Back Wheel:
    Rim: Mavic Crosstrail UST
    Spokes: Mavic stainless steel bladed straight pull
    Hub: Mavic Crosstrail std QR axle 6 bolt
    Tube: N/A
    Tire: Schwalbe Rocket Ron UST 2.25" inc Stans Fluid

Weight: 26.6 lbs

20120802_192309.jpg
    20120802_192330.jpg
    20120802_192341.jpg
    20120802_192351.jpg
    20120802_192409.jpg
    20120802_192418.jpg
    20120802_192428.jpg
    20120802_192442.jpg
    20120802_192456.jpg
    20120802_192504.jpg
    20120802_192514.jpg
    20120802_192548.jpg
    20120802_192559.jpg
    20120802_192613.jpg
    20120802_192623.jpg
    20120802_192633.jpg
    20120802_192642.jpg
    20120802_192656.jpg
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • That's you're best looking build so far pastey. Looks really classy, Look forward to seeing her on Monday when I pick my lads BMX up.
  • pastey_boy
    it seems my japanese groupset has taken a dislike to my german brakes !!!!!!! so in an effort to smooth over international relations the magura martas have agreed to move on to another bike . replacing the martas will be a shiny new set of black deore xt m785 brakes, picked them up lastnight, just shortened the hilariously long hoses, if i get a spare moment i will fit them this afternoon. im very keen to try these new xt brakes as i have heard lots of very good things about them im also curious to see how they compare power wise to the saints on my prophet. i found the martas very good for their weight but they were just lacking that bit of extra oomph needed to haul my 18 stone ass to a halt. i managed to get the brakes fitted this afternoon, the levers are dinky and integrate with the shifters nicely. initial feel is very similar to the saints on my prophet although i wont know anything about braking power until i take my bike to a big hill.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    after seeing the microshift cnc'd 10spd thumb shifters, I fell in love and rushed out to buy a pair. nothing wrong with the xt rapidfires i have fitted but the thumbshifters appeal to me as i have fond memories of my old xt thumbies of years gone by. Also ordered another haven stem but in black with the mag face plate as i reckon the mag coloured haven stem i have fitted looks a little out of place. will post pics of bike once fitted
    msts.jpg
    hs.jpg
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    I tried to fit the microshift thumbshifters today. You will notice i said "tried". No matter what i tried they would not work. Rear mech is a 10 spd deore xt m780, cassette is a 10 spd shimano hg81 11/3. The thumb shifter has 10 clicks but even after all 10 clicks the chain would only make it to the eighth cog, It was so far out i thought it may even be a sram compatible model so I tried a sram xx rear mech which fared no better. I'm at a total loss to explain why the rear shifter won't work I even tried 3 different inner cables. So they are going back to the shop and the xt rapid fires are going back on. i will also be fitting the shadow plus mech to the sabbath as i will be keeping the sram set up on the prophet.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    went for a ride today with a few changes, ditched the 85m haven stem and replaced with a 50mm renthal duo which made the bike feel a lot better on the downs although climbing suffered a little but not much. the xt shadow plus rear mech also did its job admirably with no chain rattle at all and super smooth shifting. the xt rapidfires are back on after the disastrous microshift thumb shifters which are now back at the shop. biggest revelation were the new xt brakes, this was my first proper ride on them and they were immense.i also fitted a new shaft to my gravity dropper so i have a 2 inch drop position as well as the full 4 inches. i am not touching this bike now as everything on it functions perfectly and the ride suits me down to the ground.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    Here's the Sabbath with the Renthal stem, Xt brakes and Xt shadow plus rear mech fitted.
    20120913_184132.jpg
    20120913_184152.jpg
    20120913_184203.jpg
    20120913_184214.jpg
    20120913_184239.jpg
    20120913_184253.jpg
    20120913_184313.jpg
    20120913_184418.jpg
    20120913_184435.jpg
    20120913_184444.jpg
    20120913_184456.jpg
    20120913_184513.jpg
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • "i am not touching this bike now as everything on it functions perfectly and the ride suits me down to the ground."

Really? I'll give it a week and I bet you'll have fettled it in some way.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    well you nearly did it, but we all know you only put the fox's on so you could actually see the shiny RED bit at the top :wink::lol:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • pastey_boy
    chez_m356 wrote:
    well you nearly did it, but we all know you only put the fox's on so you could actually see the shiny RED bit at the top :wink::lol:
    Oh how I dream of having a nice blue knob !!!!!
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    pastey_boy wrote:
    chez_m356 wrote:
    you know you really don't mean that, bikes looking fantastic by the way :D
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • pastey_boy
    chez_m356 wrote:
    pastey_boy wrote:
    chez_m356 wrote:
    you know you really don't mean that, bikes looking fantastic by the way :D
    cheers, very happy with it. the problem i have now is that all 3 of my bikes are finished but i need something to build and waste money on. only things i can think of are either a lightweight xc bike, a dh bike or one of them big wheeled things.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    I know i said the bike was finished but a mate fell in love with the crosstrail wheels i had fitted so being a nice person ive sold them to him and replaced them with a pair of fulcrum red meta 3's i bought a while back but never really used. also taken the rocket rons off as the weather is changing, in their place ive fitted a pair on intense system 4 tubeless ready 2.25's ive had lying around for a while.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy wrote:
    I know i said the bike was finished but a mate fell in love with the crosstrail wheels i had fitted so being a nice person ive sold them to him and replaced them with a pair of fulcrum red meta 3's i bought a while back but never really used. also taken the rocket rons off as the weather is changing, in their place ive fitted a pair on intense system 4 tubeless ready 2.25's ive had lying around for a while.

*taps screen* POIDH
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy wrote:

*taps screen* POIDH
    Ask and thou shall receiveth
    to be honest the crosstrails and the fulcrums are very similar, only 10 grams weight difference, both ust ready, both tough for their weight although im more confident in the fulcrums hubs for longevity plus the fulcrums sound better. in the end its really just down to cosmetics, i think the bike suits both wheelsets and i have just found someone who supplies full decal sets for the fulcrums in any colour i want so i may get some grey decals done .
    as for the intense tyres i can say that they feel great and seem to have plenty grip. some have reported they found them a bit squirmy but i didnt detect it. set up tubeless they both inflated first time with a track pump and didnt lose any pressure over night, im just curious to see how long they last. also swapped the charge knife saddle for my trusty old leather/ti spoon
    20120917_124357-1.jpg
    20120917_124410-1.jpg
    20120917_124422.jpg
    20120917_124504.jpg
    20120917_124534.jpg
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Those tyres look mahoooosive!

Tis looking rather excellent!
  • pastey_boy
    Those tyres look mahoooosive!

Tis looking rather excellent!
    the tyres are quoted as 2.25" but they do look bulbous. they seem to have a nice profile and the wheels dont pinch them in too much. i should be picking up the new frame decals tomorrow, just had them made in gloss black so should look ok.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I loved my intense system 4's the only down side was they weighed a ton!! stupendously grippy though, hoping my new gatestar compound schwalbes can be a similar thing but much lighter
  • pastey_boy
    Here she is with her new decals fitted, nothing too over the top just enough to identify her.
    20120927_162745.jpg
    20120927_162810.jpg
    20120927_162843.jpg
    20120927_162854.jpg
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Groovey! Much much better than the originals!
  • pastey_boy
    Groovey! Much much better than the originals!
    Cheers, Sabbath wanted £30 for a set of decals !!!!!!!! These look so much better in my opinion and cost me the grand total of £0.00 :D
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    Gonna fit a pair of heftier wheels to the Sabbath but also lighter tyres so I will save weight overall. The wheels will be a No Tubes ZTR Flow wheelset with ZTR hubs, front is a 3.30 HD with 15mm adapters and the rear is a 3.30 with a 10mm thru QR. I will be removing the stock red decals from the Flow rims and replacing them with a set of custom silver grey decals. Tyres will be Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.25 Snakeskin Pacestar TL ready . Also changing the Shimano BB for a black Wheels mfg ceramic unit. Pics when fitted.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy wrote:
    Gonna fit a pair of heftier wheels to the Sabbath but also lighter tyres so I will save weight overall. The wheels will be a No Tubes ZTR Flow wheelset with ZTR hubs, front is a 3.30 HD with 15mm adapters and the rear is a 3.30 with a 10mm thru QR. I will be removing the stock red decals from the Flow rims and replacing them with a set of custom silver grey decals. Tyres will be Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.25 Snakeskin Pacestar TL ready . Also changing the Shimano BB for a black Wheels mfg ceramic unit. Pics when fitted.

Try and get the 2013 model of the rons as they have improved the tread and reduced the RResistance by 15% apparently :shock:
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy wrote:

Try and get the 2013 model of the rons as they have improved the tread and reduced the RResistance by 15% apparently :shock:
    2012's for me I'm afraid but to be honest I love the tyres. Even with the reinforced sidewalls they will be 300grams lighter for the pair than the currently fitted Intense tyres. The Schwalbes cost the grand total of £50 posted for the pair from our good friends in Germany.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy wrote:

Haha I knew you wouldn't beable to leave it alone until after Christmas :D Gonna try and get out on a couple of XC/AM rides in and around the peaks over christmas if i've got the Commie sorted by then if you fancy a play out?
    Andy has decided he no longer needs a full suss and is trying to sell his Canyon and looking for another hardtail and a singlespeed
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • pastey_boy
    Ha ha ha Andy has problems, but not as bad as Rowson. He wants to put 220mm rotors on his 456 front and rear ?????? Might try and get out over crimbo although I have not ridden in months and I'm just getting over a dose of severe man flu. Should be ok for the hols though. Might try and get some road miles in to get my legs going again.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy wrote:
    Ha ha ha Andy has problems, but not as bad as Rowson. He wants to put 220mm rotors on his 456 front and rear ?????? Might try and get out over crimbo although I have not ridden in months and I'm just getting over a dose of severe man flu. Should be ok for the hols though. Might try and get some road miles in to get my legs going again.

Mark said he'll try and get out for a ride one day but doubt he'd want to get his bike dirty, Andy may have now changed his mind, he wants to get his Canyon down to the 26lb mark so you'll probably get a call at somepoint.
    Just getting over serious manflu myself so gonna have a blast on the big bike on Sunday then it'll be xc for a few months I
    Might have the Scott powdercoated in January but would need some quality stickering done
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • pastey_boy
    I might have some wheels to help Andy in his quest, as for the Scott you could get it done where I got my Prophet done and I have a good stickerer on call. I will probably take Mark to Degla one day .
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    The Schwalbe Rocket Rons 2.25 snakeskin tyres have just turned up and after sticking them on the scales I will be saving nearly a pound in weight over the intense tyres plus the Schwalbes have nice thick sidewalls instead of the usual paper thin offerings you usually find on lightweight tyres. So with the new wheel/tyre combo i will save three quarters of a pound in weight despite having much stronger wheels.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    Here's a few pics of the new wheels going on today. I have replaced the stock Stans decas with some custom silver and black items.
    20121224_135001.jpg
    20121224_135013.jpg
    20121224_135027.jpg
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT