My new FSR XC build

MountainMonster
MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
edited February 2013 in Your mountain bikes
Hey Everyone!

Super excited right now, as finally took delivery of my frame, a 2008 FSR XC, with plans of a new do-it-all bike. My old Cotic Soul was stolen a few months, and never got around to doing anything with the insurance money that was bike related as the wife and I both needed new glasses, so I left it for a while. I've now realised I NEED a mtb, and plan on making the trips from Cambridge out to Wales often as my wife loves it there as well, so can't go wrong with 2 happy parties!

Anyways, got my frame :) I wanted to 2 x10, so popped my old bash on there with some KCNC chainring bolts to get the build started.
DSC_0144.jpg

My wheels came the other day as well, a set of Stans Arches on Superstar hubs, so can't wait to give the wheelset a try, especially since it was on sale, so must be decent. I've got a set of Halo Knobblers which I know arn't light or the best (from what I hear), but got them for a great price so wanted to give them a try.
DSC_0143.jpg

A new 2x10 XT rear mech was posted to me the other day (amazing service from the shop on ebay, next day delivery was free!
DSC_0140.jpg

Since the frame is a large one, and I am right at the border between M and L with Specialized bikes I decided to get a 80mm Superstar stem in blue not realising the bits were red on the frame. Epic fail, I know. Anyways I think this will end up being nice having a bit of contrast so we will see how things go.
DSC_0127.jpg

Alright, the forks and brakes arrived today. I got the bike now looking a bike more like a bike, so I am very happy. I have to get the rear brake bled and new hosing put on as it is a tiny bit too short, which was a bit of a bummer but oh well, some more pictures for you guys.

DSC_0156.jpg
DSC_0157.jpg

Anyways, i'll update this spec list as I go along getting bits, but for the moment i'm just looking at saving a bit of cash where I can, so weight isn't playing too much of a factor.

Frame: 2008 Specialized FSR XC
Shock: X-Fusion (really interested to see how this rides)
Forks: 120mm Rock Shox Reba Race
Wheels: Stans Arches on Superstar hubs, with Halo Knobbler tyres.
Rear Mech: XT 10 Speed
Front Mech: Sram X0 10 Speed
Shifters: SLX
Headset- Cane Creek
Cranks: Deore Hollowtech, will most likely be switched out eventually once funds allow.
Front Brake: Hope Mono Mini, 180mm.
Rear brake: Hope Tech X2 180mm

Comments

• Also on the way are:

Red Superstar seatpost
    Rear quick release in red
    Some red headset spacers
    Bontrager 700mm carbon bars
    Some red grips
  • ry1978
    ry1978 Posts: 166
    Should be nice mate, I've recently finished refurbing and building up a 2006 stumpjumper FSR and I loved the whole process...very satisfying to ride something you've personalised and put some effort into.
    Specialized Roubaix
    Cannondale F900 SL
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR120
  • Thanks guys! Im looking forward to the Build process, as it is one of the funniest parts of getting a new bike. Just love tinkering too much!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Nice Spesh build should be a nice weight as well
  • Yeah the weight shouldn't be too bad. I've got a spare mountain king tyre I will be replacing the Halos with should I not like them, and still contemplating it as the tyres alone are 1.7kg almost. Must decide though. Oh well, weights got come off me before I upgrade the bike.
  • Ride with a guy with the same bike and he loves it - spoilt as it was his 1st bike and hes upgraded to full XT components - and seems to tackle everything quite well. The Rebas will make a big difference over the Recons it came with.

Look forward to seeing the progress

Paul
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • I cant believe you spent the money on new glasses! Surely you just get to the top of a hill, close your eyes and pray nothing hits you? Also blind wife = she cant see the bike parts you keep buying = win!

Good luck with the build ;)
  • I cant believe you spent the money on new glasses! Surely you just get to the top of a hill, close your eyes and pray nothing hits you? Also blind wife = she cant see the bike parts you keep buying = win!

It's atrocious I know, but my eyes were 3 marks off what they should be, and I didn't feel confident even looking at things. I wouldn't be able to enjoy how nice this build will be without them. Wife doesn't care about bike parts anyways :)

It's atrocious I know, but my eyes were 3 marks off what they should be, and I didn't feel confident even looking at things. I wouldn't be able to enjoy how nice this build will be without them. Wife doesn't care about bike parts anyways :)

You lucky lucky lucky Man!

You lucky lucky lucky Man!

Not really, she complains when I ride frequently. She's learning though!
  • Just ordered a new set of SLXshifters and a Hope Tech X2 rear brake. Maybe on the road by this weekend!
  • The build is finally taking the shape of a bike!

DSC_0157.jpg
  • Alright, my newest parts arrived yesterday. So I now have the gears up and running (haven't tested but seem ok so far), seatost is here and needs to be shortened, and i'm just waiting on new brake hoses for my rear brake so I can get the length right of the hoses.
  • Anonymous
    Looks tidy from the pic.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Looks great other than the blue stem! Seriously that's a 15 quid race face stem away from looking great.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • I think the stem looks great!

Just discovered a crack in the caliper of the used rear brake I bought, which means I have to send ti back for a refund, and won't get any of the money back from the brand new hoses or fitting kits or bleed and repair I did in the shop. FARK!
  • Anonymous
    How bad the crank ?
    If there new I would of thought hope would exchange.
  • How bad the crank ?
    If there new I would have thought hope would exchange.

The crack is only a hairline one, but it is in a spot which is allowing the fluid to leak. It was a used one thati bought cheaply off ebay, but this just reminds me why I don't buy from there often. Spoke to Hope about getting a replacement caliper, and they could offer one at a decent price, but I think I will buy new this round.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    edited January 2013
    Alright guys, got it built up and rideable minus the rear brake now. Took it out for a short 2 min spin around the block, and it feels so different to my road bike that i'm not sure how to ride anymore.

Anyways, the full build now:

DSC_0414.jpg

DSC_0413.jpg
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
      some interesting colour combinations you have going on there :shock:
      i like it, nice build :D
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • chez_m356 wrote:
      some interesting colour combinations you have going on there :shock:
      i like it, nice build :D
    Thanks am, surprisingly I love the colour combo! I have strange fashion sense sometimes though.
  • Hi,
    Did an almost identical build about a year ago
    I will post spec and pics tomorrow, some interesting
    Alternative parts though....

Great bike rides like a hooligan who's stolen it, great ;)
    Scott Scale 60 - Stock
    Spesh FSRXC - Custom
  • Thanks, I did this on a budget and my first reviews are that the bike seems very capable for what I want it for. I'm excited about it, and can't wait until I get the chance to take it on a proper ride after Xmas!
  • Well the bike funds got topped up today, so a new tech x2 rear brake has been ordered.

That is the last little pieces needed so this build should be about done :)
  • I also noticed the front chainring is slipping pretty badly, so I decided it was time for a new chainring. I decided to go with a nice red 36 tooth one, and that should completely finish the build off.

Once it has arrived ill post some pics.
  • So I have this up for sale now, not sure whether to sell it, or just ship it out to my father in laws house to leave there for when I'm back in Austria on holiday so that I have a bike. Oh well, I will see if someone wants to buy it at the price I want, and if not, i'll just ship it out.
  • Hi Got a similar XC myself, just postedd this morning, take a look.....

http://s1306.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... 0/library/
    Scott Scale 60 - Stock
    Spesh FSRXC - Custom
  • Very Nice!!
    To find flow one must first quiet the common sense, he who questions his approach will find wrong answer on landing