Rock shox sektor service

bigad28
bigad28 Posts: 49
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys, does anyone know of a good guide to servicing 2011 rockshox sektor spring forks?
mine have started to feel a bit strange, bit sticky and not as fluid.
cheers

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    RS website?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As CD says all the manuals going back to about 2006 can be found on Rockshox.com Just downloaded the one for my daughters new (to her) Recon XC's.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Ghostt
    Ghostt Posts: 192
    If by spring you mean coil, then it's pretty much the same procedure for every RS coil fork, slight variations depending on if you have any form of travel adjust. Top tip is to use motor oil (in the lowers anyway) as it's much cheaper and higher quality than the rebranded crap SRAM sell you. Mine currently run on some Castrol GTX I had to hand
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot
  • Ghostt wrote:
    If by spring you mean coil, then it's pretty much the same procedure for every RS coil fork, slight variations depending on if you have any form of travel adjust. Top tip is to use motor oil (in the lowers anyway) as it's much cheaper and higher quality than the rebranded crap SRAM sell you. Mine currently run on some Castrol GTX I had to hand

Thanks for the info guys. What rating oil do you use? or does it not matter?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Doesn't matter. Check your manual as the Recons just need normal fork oil in the lowers for lube purposes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ghostt
    Ghostt Posts: 192
    If you're just dropping the lowers off and giving it all a good clean/re grease, then the oil in the lowers is only for lubrication, so doesn't matter too much. I'd stick with the RS recommended 15wt.
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    bigad28 wrote:
    Ghostt wrote:

Thanks for the info guys. What rating oil do you use? or does it not matter?
      page 7 ''Technology and Oil Volumes''
      http://www.freerider.ro/manuale/manual_ ... sektor.pdf
      Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011