Bike for a big guy

crispybug2
crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
edited December 2012 in Road beginners
I've been riding a couple of years and I've had some good weight loss through it, 20 stone down to fifteen and a half stone.

Anyway this has inspired a mate to take up biking, I should state at the outset that he's a pretty hefty lump, he won't tell me how much he weighs but I'm estimating 26/27 stone.

Would your average road bike support that amount of weight? I'm looking at Triban 3 or 5 as he can't spend a fortune, would this be a good choice or is there something within that price range that would be better?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    There is often a weight limit on wheels... E.g. the Fulcrum website says “All Fulcrum wheels are constructed to meet the highest standards of resistance and durability. If you weigh over 109 kg/240 lbs we advise you not to use this product”
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    I looked into this some time ago as I was heavy when I got my first bike back in May (same weight as you actually 8)) although I've not got down to 15 st yet (still 16 st 6 lb).

My hybrid bike is good up to about 280 lbs but I did read around that there are plenty of options for your larger gentleman - you should make sure you get sturdy wheels for example. 36 spokes for definite. I popped a few spokes on my rear wheel for some time although it seems to have stopped these days.

The only forums I can find on this now are american and recommend custom build bikes (for *really* huge people) but a touring road bike designed to carry heavy panniers as well as the rider should be able to cope with your friend I would have thought.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    crispybug2 wrote:
    I've been riding a couple of years and I've had some good weight loss through it, 20 stone down to fifteen and a half stone.

Anyway this has inspired a mate to take up biking, I should state at the outset that he's a pretty hefty lump, he won't tell me how much he weighs but I'm estimating 26/27 stone.

Would your average road bike support that amount of weight? I'm looking at Triban 3 or 5 as he can't spend a fortune, would this be a good choice or is there something within that price range that would be better?

Thanks in advance.

One other factor to take into consideration is the gearing. If I recall correctly, the Triban 3 has a traditional crankset. I don't want to be too presumptuous but I'd guess that someone who is 26 stone is not that fit so he'll struggle to pull his weight up even the most gentle incline without more sympathetic gearing.

Where I live there are very few flat bits but you may live in Norfolk in which case this won't be as much of an issue.

PS Good job on your weight loss BTW, you've clearly been an inspiration.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I would suggest your mate gets an 29er MTB to start with - the bigger air pocket in the tyre will help prevent pinch flats. In due course, he can upgrade to 2" slicks for riding in the road. The lower gears will also help just to get rolling. Expect to pay out for repairs and new wheels. The biggest weakness of road bikes at this price point is wheels.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..