Marathon Winters - Boardman Hybrid Comp

dee4life2005
dee4life2005 Posts: 773
edited December 2012 in Commuting general
With having a section of my commute on untreated country roads I was thinking about getting a set of Marathon Winters for my Boardman Performance Hybrid Comp so that I can continue to commute by bike a few times a week - rather than resorting to using the turbo.

It has the stock Alex DP17 rims that originally came with 700x28c tyres, and I see that Marathon Winters have a smallest size of 700x35c. I seem to recall reading that the Alex DP17's have an internal rim width of 17mm at the 700x28c, which I think means that 700x28c fitted as standard are at the lower end of what these rims can take ... so what I'm basically asking is will the 700x35c tyres fit on these rims ??

Comments

• If your rims have an internal width of 17mm you should be fine with x35 tyres.
    Have a look at the table near the end of this page http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
    you should be fine with up to x37 tyres.

*(also as a side note i have been riding with x35 marathon winters on my rims which have a 15mm internal width with out any problems for all of last winter and some of this one)

*at my own risk i should add.
  • Thanks for that ... I've just gone and ordered a pair of them :-)

Have to wait around a week for Wiggle to get them in stock though. Just have to hope that when fitted to the rims that the wheels still fit between the seat stays - might be a bit tight, but if do fit in I`ll be sorted for commuting all winter.
  • Thanks for that ... I've just gone and ordered a pair of them :-)

Have to wait around a week for Wiggle to get them in stock though. Just have to hope that when fitted to the rims that the wheels still fit between the seat stays - might be a bit tight, but if do fit in I`ll be sorted for commuting all winter.
    They should fit fine – at least mine do, and I've got SKS Longboards fitted too!

I got mine a couple of weeks ago (via ActionsSports.de in Germany), and have been delighted with them. This week I've seen my commutes as low as -2.8°C in all manner of winter conditions, including frost, 2" snow, slush, black ice and re-frozen icy ruts – the Winters kept me upright when I'd have been on my backside on more than one occasion without them. This is my first winter commuting so I'm getting used to how the bike handles differently on ice, particularly on icy ruts where even with the Winters, the bike wants to change direction on you pretty quickly!

Clearance is tight, but I'm so glad I decided to get them and keep going this winter :)

winterboardman.jpg
    winters1.jpg
    winters2.jpg
  • thanks, they've been dispatched 1st class RoyalMail on wednesday. Just waiting on the posite getting his finger out and delivering them now!

btw. your bikes looking pretty clean in the bikes. What Rims is that you got on your Boardman ?
  • thanks, they've been dispatched 1st class RoyalMail on wednesday. Just waiting on the posite getting his finger out and delivering them now!

btw. your bikes looking pretty clean in the bikes. What Rims is that you got on your Boardman ?
    Given that the Boardman is white and I'm commuting 14.3 miles each way every day, I decided that giving it a quick wipe down after each ride would be a good idea LOL! Bought it at the beginning of October, and the rims are just the standard ones - they've got "4DISC 4D/XR" on them, so I think they're just basic unbranded rims. No idea who makes them, sorry.
  • The tyres arrived today, and I'm just back from a 25 mile ride to break them in. Temperature was about 1c, with plenty of ground frost and icy puddles etc. and the bike didn't even twitch once - awesome. Didn't even lose any of the spikes. Just need to get some new mudguards as the SKS Chromoplastics (P35) that I had on the bike don't fit - didn't expect them to though as they only take tyres up to 700x28c.

Did notice that I was about 2-3mph slower than normal, to be expected especially as I was running them at 55psi - just makes it a better workout. And the noise sounds like you're being followed by a bowl of ride krispies :)
  • The tyres arrived today, and I'm just back from a 25 mile ride to break them in. Temperature was about 1c, with plenty of ground frost and icy puddles etc. and the bike didn't even twitch once - awesome. Didn't even lose any of the spikes. Just need to get some new mudguards as the SKS Chromoplastics (P35) that I had on the bike don't fit - didn't expect them to though as they only take tyres up to 700x28c.

Did notice that I was about 2-3mph slower than normal, to be expected especially as I was running them at 55psi - just makes it a better workout. And the noise sounds like you're being followed by a bowl of ride krispies :)
    Good stuff – I quite like the snap, crackle and pop sound myself! -4°C this morning, but at least it was calm and dry... an enjoyable "refreshing" commute today :)

The pictures above show my Comp with SKS Longboards (P45) so they're certainly an option that will fit, and they are perfectly fine with normal 700x28c tyres when not using the Winters. I used to have P35 Chromoplastics on my old Ridgeback Flight (running Marathon Plus 700x25c), and I must say that the Longboards are a significant improvement – the extra length and mudflap at the front makes for much less spray on the bike (and feet). They definitely get the thumbs up from me.
  • Big_Paul
    Big_Paul Posts: 277
    They're definitely not a tyre for the shy retiring types amongst us due to the rather loud noise, but I must admit they are bloody awesome at what they do, minus 3 this morning and plenty of hard frost, no bother at all, I must admit there one section of my commute where I had the beginnings of a front wheel slide, even in the dry on the winters, but I think it's a peculiarity of the stone used on the surface, other surfaces seem to resonate my Rev Cross in a way that would suit a lady rider well.........

I have about 60 odd miles on mine now and they feel better than after the 1st 25 mile run in, they feel similar to my Maxxis Raze CX tyres in terms of resistance. :D
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • wish I could fit these things to my road bike...gonna have to wait until next year sometime to buy a cheap cx bike with these on all ready for conditions like we have at the mo.

So gutted my bike is at home but it's too slippery on the route I use (first 6 miles is untreated cyclepath)...grrrrrr frustrating!!! :)
  • PK1
    PK1 Posts: 193
    I have Marathon Winters on my MTB, they are awesome. I have 2 sets of wheels and swap them for slicks when it's mild. They are heavy and hard work, but if you need to get to work when it's icy , they are a must.