Salsa spearfish, just completed... ORANGE content.

weeksy59
weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
edited December 2012 in Your mountain bikes
Well here's the final pic and final spec (needs a few bits fitting when they arrive)
Salsa Spearfish, size large.
Hope Pro2 Evo with Crests.
Bontrage Mud-x
Formula Mega (rear)
Formula K18 (Front)
Formula rotors
Fox float 32 F100 / 15mm maxle
XTR Bottom bracket mounted in PF converters to standard BB.
Rockshox Monarch
SLX 10 speed shifter
Shimano full lenght gear cable.
Deore cranks running a 32T
SLX cassette 11-36
SRAM generic chain
Superstar XCR-st chainguide
Funn fatboy riser bars
Hope Headset
Ragley stubbing stem
Well B-54 pedals
Giant lock-on grips
Salsa seatclamp
Charge Spoon

To be fitted : SLX shadow+ rear mech. Renthal 32T chainring.

DSC_0271.jpg

Riding the bike in the street, i'm VERY happy with how it rides... it's a lovely bike/shape/position. However, i've swapped the bars off from this photo to risers due to issues hitting the top-tube of frame with the bottom of shifter. I'll decide on Thurs (working from home) which set of bars i prefer to ride with and set accordingly.

Comments

• I spotted one of these yesterday for the first time and i quite liked it. I have to say that with the same coloured rear triangle i much prefer this one. I like the "spear-like" skinny seat-stay. How does it feel compared to the hardtail 29er? (i know you havent been off-road, but just as a first impression)
  • weeksy59
    I spotted one of these yesterday for the first time and i quite liked it. I have to say that with the same coloured rear triangle i much prefer this one. I like the "spear-like" skinny seat-stay. How does it feel compared to the hardtail 29er? (i know you havent been off-road, but just as a first impression)
    Soft lol. Really hard to say yet mate
  • weeksy59
    So today was the Spearfish's debut ride.

So, it was a bit soft on the rear to start, another 30 psi in there and that felt a lot better. Using my rudimentary weighing techniques, the weight came in at 27l, (12.3kg) which is a weight i'm very happy with.

Geometry feels closer to my old Meta rather than the Giant XTC29 which suprised me, i thought it would be VERY XC feeling. However a chunk of the reason for that may be the riser bars and short stem, rather than just the overall riding geometry. However, i don't see this as a bad thing as it breeds and inspires confidence.

Hitting the icy trails is rides smoothly and takes in the bumps with ease, feeling very compliant on the trails. Hard to say how it feels in anger as i wasn't really pushing things, just tootling along and trying things out.

The Formula Mega rear brake is great, really happy with that STW Sales section purchase...

The Superstar XCR chainguide performs silently.... Which is superb :)

Overall, i don't see any issues with the bike in the slightest... looking at the rear and front, i need to stiffen both just a smidgen as they're getting a bit too much travel at the moment, but that's a minor thing.

Happily, there's nothing hanging off, broken or flapping about. The cranks running the PF converter to standard BB seems to work like a dream.. so we're all happy.
  • You only bought it 'cos it matches your KTM. ;)

Careful that you don't get carried away and just pump the shock up so hard that the back end is doing fuck all. It's very often the case when you've predominantly ridden hardtails to go too hard in order to replicate the ride that you're used to rather than actually making the most of the frame. Set the sag correctly and just get used to the comfort and grip.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • weeksy59
    You only bought it 'cos it matches your KTM. ;).

LOL that didn't harm the decision that's for sure :)
  • weeksy59
    Final prep before ride at the w'e, fitted the Renthal and chainstay protector and threw a bit of air in the tyres, lined up the brakes... all good to go :)

DSC_0274.jpg

DSC_0273.jpg