New Bike Needed - Due to Thieving Ba****ds

bk1973diving
bk1973diving Posts: 16
edited December 2012 in Commuting general
In the market for a new commuter - since some ba****d :evil: helped themselves to my trusty boardman hybrid team !!

Have a limited choice with cycle to work scheme - has anyone any experience of KTM - Strada 800 Speed CD 2013 Flatbar Road Bike - specs look good, and I can get a reasonable deal on my scheme.

Cheers

B

Comments

• Haven't experience with ktm, however have you considered a cyclocross? Jack of all trades including commuting, giving you a ton of choices :) I'd recommend a whyte charing cross for that price limit if that's of any use ! All the best - sorry about the bike ! ( a permanent worry for me too) theaving gets !!
    THE GARAGE :
    2013 - Whyte Saxon Cross,
    2009 Giant CRS 0,
    2009 - Specialized Rockhopper Comp,
  • Cheers Cycling-Mad

Can only buy from cycle-solutions.co.uk

Think I have narrowed it down to the KTM above, or the Ridgeback Flight 02 - 2012

B
  • Other bikes I'd personally recommend are Specialized if there's anything available that you fancy? There usually of very good built quality and a great ride! Love mine on the muddy tracks but not for commuting as its a suspension hardtail :) for speed if you have the options a road bike tends to be the more favoured - cyclocross for the all year / condition solution - or a hybrid / tourer.
    THE GARAGE :
    2009 Giant CRS 0,
  • Yea - just noticed the specialized sirrus disc 2013 - might be worth a look

Ta

B
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have you got links to the bikes in question? And can you try hem for size first?
  • Unless you are sold on the flat bar, I would have a look at the Cannondale CAAD8 or Synapse with Sora.
  • I got the Merida CX4 and it is speced very well for the price and in the month I've had it clocked about 460 miles on it and its a beast. Very strong, good brakes, good gearing and overall pleasure to ride and it would fit in your budget at £999
  • I still think steel frame touring bikes are the best for commuting any distance. E.g. for similar cost to what you are looking at there is the Dawes Horizon, or for £1199 the well respected Kona Sutra with disc brakes. They come pretty much ready to roll including mudguards and rack, so their cost is not as bad as it first appears.
  • I have the 2010 Cube Agree GTC Pro and love it. Upgraded the brakes to Dura Ace and upgraded to FSA Carbon bars.

You get a lot of kit for your money with Cube. KTM is a brand that is big in motocross and has fairly recently targeted the bicycle market. Their bikes look good and have decent components. Really depends on your budget.
  • Deal Done - Ordered Specialized Sirrus Elite Flatbar Road - should be here end of next week - fingers crossed !
  • Very nice choice :) best of luck!
    THE GARAGE :
    2009 Giant CRS 0,