135x12 and 142x12 adaptable (or...)

milko9000
milko9000 Posts: 533
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey,

Gonna buy a bike. Comes with a 135x10 rear end, with the option (at a cost) to switch that to 135x12.

I'm thinking, I'd like it with a light wheelset, that I'd maybe want to swap over sometimes instead of my burly wheelset on the "big bike" for when the big bike's being less big. Now, that burly one could be 142x12. Is there any way that the 135x12 configuration can be made to do this with reasonable ease? I've seen some mention of Mavic hubs where the only thing making them 142 instead of 135 is some easily removable spacers. That sounds alright, but it all seemed a bit theoretical.

Or should I just not bother and go 135x10? Part of me thinks I don't need swapping wheels about really.

Thanks!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What is the frame? Superstar rear wheels have a lot of options.
  • Erm, might be a Production Privee Shan, unless common sense gets the better of me.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Proper 142mm hubs are wider at the flange than proper 135mm hubs. 150mm hubs are the widest of all. However, many 142mm hubs are actually 135mm hubs with longer cones on the ends. This means that whilst the frame might benefit from being wider and stiffer, the wheel does not. a 135mm with cones on isn't as strong as a proper 142mm.
    So back t your question, if your 142mm burly wheel is actually a 135mm hub, you might be able to get the smaller cones. If not, then you'd need a 142mm rear end on the frame.
    I do the same thing as you; I have a set of crests and flows on Superstar hubs. The Socom has a 142mm rear end and the Moment a 135mm. Both hubs are actually 135mm hubs, but I can move my flows to the Moment with the adaptors.

I've just re-read your OP, and I think I was thinking you'd move the burley wheels to the hardtail when you seem to want to move the light wheels to the burley bike. Either way, I hope what I said above makes sense! As Super says, Superstar hubs are highly interchangeable. But you can't make a 135mm hub fit a 150mm hub that I know of. That's your only restriction.
  • Proper 142mm hubs are wider at the flange than proper 135mm hubs.

Frame spacing is identical to a 135mm hub/axle = no scope to widen flanges.
    This means that whilst the frame might benefit from being wider and stiffer

As the frame is the same spacing as a 135mm, the benefit is all from using a solid axle instead of QR.
  • thanks folks. The burly wheelset I have at the moment won't fit the new light bike anyway, I'm just trying to make things more flexible with future purchases. But I think this one's probably a dead end anyway... that said, very likely to go with Superstar just so I do have as many options as possible in future.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Proper 142mm hubs are wider at the flange than proper 135mm hubs.

I had to check to believe, but you are right! I thought 142 referred to the width of the hub when it is still infact 135mm.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675

I had to check to believe, but you are right! I thought 142 referred to the width of the hub when it is still infact 135mm.
    almost- 135 and 142 refer to the O.L.D. which is the fun bit as many 142 frames actually have a distance between the drop outs as 135. BUT as the mounting face is recessed in the drop out by 3.5mm on each side so the wheel build is exactly the same 135 and 142.

fun aint it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:

almost- 135 and 142 refer to the O.L.D. which is the fun bit as many 142 frames actually have a distance between the drop outs as 135. BUT as the mounting face is recessed in the drop out by 3.5mm on each side so the wheel build is exactly the same 135 and 142.

fun aint it.

142x12 is kind of a misnomer, I think.

What happened to the Syntace X12, is it the same as 142x12?
  • Yeah this kind of talk is why I've decided to just drop the idea of them being interchangeable for now. There's essentially no chance I'll be able to get this right :)