My first 20/20 was done Saturday

FlacVest
FlacVest Posts: 100
edited December 2012 in Road beginners
Yep; first 20 mile ride at a 20 mph average was done last Saturday. Very exciting.

I always viewed the 20/20 as the barrier between a hobbiest and an enthusiast, so I'm probably going to award myself with shiny upgrades and a new wheelset for Christmas.

Funny thing is, after I realized I did it mid ride, I just kept riding and finished the 30 mile route as normal. And now it doesn't even feel like an accomplishment, because my average pace is actually 20 mph. I took the flat, dedicated bike path in order to ride it out instead of the hillier, more exciting route I take on the weekends.

So yea, next goal is 23 mph pace at 20 miles; hopefully I'll be able to hit that by spring.

Comments

• jotko
    jotko Posts: 457
    Nicely done!

My target over the winter is to do 10 mies at 20mph average (evens I think it is called) - I can cruise along for about 4 or 5 miles at 20+ but then invariably blow up ;)

No problem riding distance at a slower pace (averaged 16mph for 50 miles) but just haven't got the speed in my legs yet.

Good effort anyway - does that mean you stop posting in beginners??? ;)
  • brilliant - what was the course like.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    well done,thats really impressive cycling.my best for 10ml is 16.9mph though on the flat i can cruise over 20mph,just isnt enough flat here.
    keep it going or try a 10ml TT as a bench mark.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • FlacVest
    jotko wrote:
    Nicely done!

My target over the winter is to do 10 mies at 20mph average (evens I think it is called) - I can cruise along for about 4 or 5 miles at 20+ but then invariably blow up ;)

No problem riding distance at a slower pace (averaged 16mph for 50 miles) but just haven't got the speed in my legs yet.

Good effort anyway - does that mean you stop posting in beginners??? ;)

1) Yea, my future logs will be in the general section; I mean, compared to some guys here, that's a steady pace that can be done daily on rides. I only have time to ride on the weekends, so at 2 rides a week, I'm content with my improvement.

2) I'm in the same boat as you; my normal pace would be around 17/18 or so, and I'd average that for a 30 or 40 mile ride if I didn't want to push myself or whatever.

I'd suggest, although it does suck, whenever you're on a long ride, get to that uncomfortable speed and hold it as long as you can, or for a et distance where it's straight and you can have a set length or something. Eventually you'll get used to it.
  • FlacVest
    elderone wrote:
    well done,thats really impressive cycling.my best for 10ml is 16.9mph though on the flat i can cruise over 20mph,just isnt enough flat here.
    keep it going or try a 10ml TT as a bench mark.

Back home, I used to cycle a 10 mile loop as my main ride; I'll definitely go home and push myself on that course once every week or 2 weeks to see how I improve during my break.

brilliant - what was the course like.

Flat :) Normally I ride a more exciting course with rolling hills and stuff (nice neighborhood around a golf course), so I don't go on this route often. It's dead straight for 16 miles. 8 foot wide tarmac that's 12 feet from the road. Good stuff.

Beautiful scenery on a good day; trees are growing over the path at points, so you get a nice shade and plenty of people ride the trail.

If you're in a group or haven't done it often, it's great, but whenever I'm on it and turn around to head back, I get hit with the negative reinforcement riding back up to the entrance, which generally sucks, for some reason. I never have fun leaving :/

It's the St Marks trial in Tallahassee, Florida if anybody is nearby or lives in the city who doesn't know about it. From the trailhead it's 16 miles to a small warf on an inlet from the Mediterranean; has a bathroom every 3 or 4 miles as well. I like it.