Stoke-On-Trent trails

cr250noob
cr250noob Posts: 57
edited January 2013 in Routes
Anyone ride Parkhall hills regularly? Seen some areas which look peetty good but seen no tyre tracks or any other riders as yet. Is there anywhere else nearby worth riding? Is there trails at Trentham gardens? New to mountain biking and still finding out whats about. Done the dog/trail at Cannock which was epic!
Felt F95
Orange Alpine 160

Comments

• DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Usually ride it couple of times a month (parkhall), some nice techy stuff to practice on, especially round the far end past bolton gate.. Just be careful though as somebody thinks its a good idea to keep putting big branches across on some of the runs where you can't see them until its too late.
  • cr250noob
    DodgeT wrote:
    Usually ride it couple of times a month (parkhall), some nice techy stuff to practice on, especially round the far end past bolton gate.. Just be careful though as somebody thinks its a good idea to keep putting big branches across on some of the runs where you can't see them until its too late.

You mean the part round by the small pond? Some drop offs and stuff there. Sucks people doin stuff to mess it up.
    Felt F95
    Orange Alpine 160
  • MrGeebs
    MrGeebs Posts: 62
    I live in Stoke and cycle all over, the canal's good for getting about. |Are you interested in cross crounty or is it all about the downhill?
    I'd recommend going to BING maps and pull up a map of stoke, get rid of the side bar then tab on the left at the top pull down to Ordnance Survey maps, look for bridleways (large dashs) and ways of connecting them together with bits of road to make up a ride. Bridleways through woods are espcially nice, there is lots of nice countryside just south of stoke round stone, eccleshall, out to loggerheads, and up to Keele.
    um .. . . . .
  • cr250noob
    XC really, some good trails with some fun bits and a nice view. Ill take a look at those maps. The canals are quite nice , ive ran alomg some of them. I think out towards consall some especially nice scenery with some good pubs along the way.
    Felt F95
    Orange Alpine 160
  • DodgeT
    Meant to say, hanchurch, there's quite a lot of trails down there, some nice stuff too. Whereabouts you based?
  • kieron_67
    kieron_67 Posts: 161
    looking at doing more riding in my local area, i'm based in basford / chesterton and find a nice easy ride through apedale park, gets a bit boring sometimes on my own, alot of my friends arent into moutain biking and the ones that are always seem to be busy lol.

Cannocks always good fun though but not been in a while. Hanchurch woods are ment to have a pretty good xc course but never been.

might give park hall a try.
  • cr250noob
    DodgeT wrote:
    Meant to say, hanchurch, there's quite a lot of trails down there, some nice stuff too. Whereabouts you based?

I live at Meir Park near Blythe Bridge. Spoke to a guy at Cannock who said Hanchurch was good but well muddy when we had some rain. Will have to check it out as its probably as close as Cannock. Got some commons near me but the dog walkers keep giving me funny looks!
    Felt F95
    Orange Alpine 160
  • DodgeT
    Not far from me then, Weston Coyney, so Park Hall is my local playground as its a 5 min ride from home.
    Hanchurch will be muddy at the min, very similar ground/conditions to Cannock really. It's a lot closer, just by J15.

Was up Park Hall last night briefly, nearly killed my sister... Cut knee, arm and shoulder and a bust helmet :oops:
  • cr250noob
    DodgeT wrote:
    Not far from me then, Weston Coyney, so Park Hall is my local playground as its a 5 min ride from home.
    Hanchurch will be muddy at the min, very similar ground/conditions to Cannock really. It's a lot closer, just by J15.

Was up Park Hall last night briefly, nearly killed my sister... Cut knee, arm and shoulder and a bust helmet :oops:

Sounds painful mate! Where did she come a cropper?
    Felt F95
    Orange Alpine 160
  • DodgeT
    There's a nice steep roll in down in the last gully by bolton gate woods. She'd been doing well, doing the other rocky drops, but she went for a big handful of brakes on the roll in... I shouted at her to let go but it was too late... otb she went!

Will be up there tomorrow afternoon / evening, got a couple of mates from derby coming over for a bit of a play / practise session. One of them has earned the nick name ram man, after he headbutted a tree at coed y brenin, so should be fun :)
  • fergo
    fergo Posts: 56
    Hi

From S-O-T myself - Defo get yourself an OS Map, I did this when I started to MTB and wanting to explore off road trails - helped me to develop some good routes. I find a paper version rather than online to be better as can pack it in my rucksack when I get lost!

Also, look at Walk Jog Run.com I have plotted some MTB routes on here around Newcastle Under Lyme area. Search for goldengus and sethdnt routes on there. Some good routes around Apedale, Silverdale and various local wooded areas.

Enjoy :D
  • cr250noob
    fergo wrote:
    Hi

From S-O-T myself - Defo get yourself an OS Map, I did this when I started to MTB and wanting to explore off road trails - helped me to develop some good routes. I find a paper version rather than online to be better as can pack it in my rucksack when I get lost!

Also, look at Walk Jog Run.com I have plotted some MTB routes on here around Newcastle Under Lyme area. Search for goldengus and sethdnt routes on there. Some good routes around Apedale, Silverdale and various local wooded areas.

Enjoy :D

Cheers mate, ill have a nosey!
    Felt F95
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Daleo
    Daleo Posts: 7
    Am from Stoke too, Meir Park actually. Small world!

Went down Barlaston Downs on Saturday which was alright, bit too hilly for me but some good down hills. Going to try parkhall tonight then hoping to get to Hanchurch at the weekend.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I really do not think you should be allowed to restrict trails to just gay and lesbian riders. That's all.
  • DodgeT
    Eh?
  • holy thread revival.... :shock:

....finally seems more st*kies on here,

im from bradwell and regularly make up routes anywhere between bradwell,westport lake, bathpool,apedale,keele areas, keele uni has some tidy stuff to ride, in and around the back/woods behind it....hanchurch will have to wait for now as im pushed for time atm :roll: ..plenty to ride round st*ke.........
  • castlelad wrote:
    holy thread revival.... :shock:

....finally seems more st*kies on here,

im from bradwell and regularly make up routes anywhere between bradwell,westport lake, bathpool,apedale,keele areas, keele uni has some tidy stuff to ride, in and around the back/woods behind it....hanchurch will have to wait for now as im pushed for time atm :roll: ..plenty to ride round st*ke.........

just up the road from you by the hospital, been to bradwell woods abit laterly some good little paths if can find them, will have to try keele out
  • kieron_67 wrote:

just up the road from you by the hospital, been to bradwell woods abit laterly some good little paths if can find them, will have to try keele out[/quote]

bradwell hospital ? or north staffs ? i used to reside near the greyhound pub in hartshill,now live by the brittania pub in bradwell(notice a theme here? :wink: ) went through bradwell woods the other week and it was almost unrideable in parts, did nearly as much pushing/carrying as riding it was that gloopy. :roll: went on through to bathpoole which was suprisingly not too bad really.....
  • castlelad wrote:

bradwell hospital ? or north staffs ? i used to reside near the greyhound pub in hartshill,now live by the brittania pub in bradwell(notice a theme here? :wink: ) went through bradwell woods the other week and it was almost unrideable in parts, did nearly as much pushing/carrying as riding it was that gloopy. :roll: went on through to bathpoole which was suprisingly not too bad really.....

bradwell hospital.

yea i go through bath pool on the way to work and it never seems to bad, bradwell woods seems to always be boggy laterly
  • so you from ches ? im a ex chessy resident my self, heath street lol, with this weather i just cba get out for a bit of off roading, so am :oops: doing a bit of night roading :oops: round the estates and stuff really,

seeing as we practically neighbours, gis a shout sometime n we'll have a meet........
  • castlelad wrote:
    so you from ches ? im a ex chessy resident my self, heath street lol, with this weather i just cba get out for a bit of off roading, so am :oops: doing a bit of night roading :oops: round the estates and stuff really,

seeing as we practically neighbours, gis a shout sometime n we'll have a meet........

yea will have sort something out mate.

yea am in chess at the mo, lived here about a year now, original from hanley, well cobridge but hanley sounds better lol
  • Bathpool Park in Kidsgrove has some pretty good trails through the woods around the Lake, these can be linked with a bridal way along Congleton Edge just north of Mow Cop to make a good ride, you can then drop down on to the Biddulph Valley Line to make your way back to Bathpool.
  • Bathpool Park in Kidsgrove has some pretty good trails through the woods around the Lake, these can be linked with a bridal way along Congleton Edge just north of Mow Cop to make a good ride, you can then drop down on to the Biddulph Valley Line to make your way back to Bathpool.

I read somewhere that bathpool was in a right state, is it still in good nic then? Have been round dimmingsdale on the way to Alton towers. Some good stuff there albeit a bit sloppy at the moment.
    Felt F95
    Orange Alpine 160
  • cr250noob wrote:
    Bathpool Park in Kidsgrove has some pretty good trails through the woods around the Lake, these can be linked with a bridal way along Congleton Edge just north of Mow Cop to make a good ride, you can then drop down on to the Biddulph Valley Line to make your way back to Bathpool.

I read somewhere that bathpool was in a right state, is it still in good nic then? Have been round dimmingsdale on the way to Alton towers. Some good stuff there albeit a bit sloppy at the moment.

The jump section at bathpool is a mess we found it a couple of weeks ago n the wooden structures are rotten n falling apart. The routes through bathpool though are pretty good. Ill have try that route stephenlovatt
  • another Stokey here, and although not originally from Meir Park, I will be visiting my parents over Chrimbo and bringing my bike !!!!!

I am intending to do Cannock with a friend from school and want to try and get out more locally, so if anyone is available perhaps we could get a meet going.
  • Im up for a ride out if anything going on, I live on Meir Park too.
    Felt F95
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Went up Parkhall Hills this morning, it was a quagmire , and frosty too. Suffering with a bit of a cold at the moment so OD'ing on actifed!!!!! Might be up for a ride out tomorrow.
  • I'm looking to go on some trails now that ive got a new bike. I'm also from stoke area and usually bike along the canal until barlaston then come off at the downs and cycle around there.
  • Is there much to ride around the downs? I seem to keep being drawn to Cannock mostly now. My stuff still drying out from the last time lol. Im thinking of joining up with a club, theres the Swinnerton cycles one and the Goldtech. Not sure which to go for.
    Felt F95
    Orange Alpine 160
  • yh theres a loads of different routes there but it is extremley hilly. was there few days ago after i went hanchurch woods, not going there until its dry the ground is terrible up there.